Thread: M20 That Has Been Sitting for a While

My Cars
    1990 325i, '88 325is par

M20 That Has Been Sitting for a While

Hey all,

Over spring break i'm gonna pull the M20 and 5 speed from my 88 'is parts car, install it in my 90 325i and i was wondering what i should replace? Might as well start accumulating parts now. My car is an auto now, so the 5 speed swap parts apply. I'm probably gonna pull the cat and put it in my car too (engine only has 92k, probably worth it to swap) It has been sitting for at least a year, maybe 2. The list I have already:

All Fluids
    Intake Mani gasket
    Fuel injector O-rings
    Exhaust gaskets
    Crank breather hose (valve cover to TB)
    Crank Breather tube o-rings
    Valve cover gasket
    Cam Seals
    Rocker arm plugs
    Belts
    Timing Belt
    Tensioner
    Water Pump
    Oil Pan Gasket
    Rear Engine Seal
    Spark Plugs
    Clutch
    Clutch Slave, Master cyls
    Clutch Lines
    Shifter Bushings
    Motor Mounts
    Trans Mounts
    Trans Seals (Which ones?)
    Guibo
    Driveshaft CSB
    Thermostat

Some other common wear items have been replaced on my car this past summer already (Ignition stuff, hoses, etc.), so i'll just transfer everything. Anything else you guys can think of?
    Last edited by andyman2487; 11-12-2006 at 04:00 PM.

My Cars
    an imaginary E30
    Get a box of brake cleaner.

A good scrubbing out of the throttle body and AFM could be nice too. I would, personally, get some solvent or something and give the intake manifold a good dunking then hit it up with a pressure washer.

Also, personally, since you apparently have some life left in your '90, I'd stroke it to 2.8 liters. M52 crank with the spacer added to the front of the crank and eta con-rods is all you need really. Of course I was going that route I'd tear the engine apart and give it a real good cleaning and inspect the bores and rings at the very least.

A good flush of the cooling system would be nice too, with a brush inside the channels.

My Cars
    1990 325i, '88 325is par
    Quote Originally Posted by Ablice View Post
    A good scrubbing out of the throttle body and AFM could be nice too. I would, personally, get some solvent or something and give the intake manifold a good dunking then hit it up with a pressure washer.
    That goes without saying.

Also, personally, since you apparently have some life left in your '90, I'd stroke it to 2.8 liters. M52 crank with the spacer added to the front of the crank and eta con-rods is all you need really. Of course I was going that route I'd tear the engine apart and give it a real good cleaning and inspect the bores and rings at the very least.
    You may want to check your sources on that, as i'm almost sure you need custom pistons. Too much hassle, anyway. I'm not tearing into the long block.

Anyone else?

My Cars
    87 325is
    It is on your list (sort of). It would be a good idea to replace the input and output seals on the transmission while it is out. And replacing the bushings on the shifter would be prudent. And given the age of these cars I'd replace the radiator during the swap.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    91 M20 Turbo Coupe,
    Get a box of brake cleaner.
    yeah definitley a nice oil system flush ,And fflush the coolant passages for clay clogs..
    06 Dodge Charger R/T Top Banana Daytona #608 91 E30 M20B28 Turbo - Assembled and Pushed 310hp Until Tires Failed. 14inch rubber screams for MERCY!!

My Cars
    an imaginary E30
    Quote Originally Posted by andyman2487 View Post
    You may want to check your sources on that, as i'm almost sure you need custom pistons. Too much hassle, anyway. I'm not tearing into the long block.
    Stock later 325i pistons and head.

Heater matrix could use a flush also. Heater valve could be replaced while you're at it.

My Cars
    00 E38,01 E38,99 323 is
    I didn't see front engine seal on your list. As long as you have the motor out and t belt off, may as well do this too, since the seal is the same age as all the rest of them.
    9/2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, black, purchased March 2016, 270k miles.
    6/99 740i Cosmos Schwartz M Sport, 214k miles, purchased May 2017
    2001 740i OrientBlau M Sport, purchased March 2023
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes, Blue/White, PCM Ford 351W, PowerSlot, 912 hours, purchased September 2012 (not a car )
    4/99 323is/5. Titansilber, 211k miles. Straight body project.

past BMWs: 5/1994 325isa (Arktisgrau), 3/1997 328is/5 (cosmosschwartz), 9/1990 535i/5 (calypsorot), 9/1990 318i/5 (brillantrot) 7/93 325i/5 convertible (samoablau) 2/92 325i/5 cabriolet (lagunengruen).
    SÜNDE REISEN

My Cars
    1990 325i, '88 325is par
    Quote Originally Posted by stradmaster View Post
    I didn't see front engine seal on your list. As long as you have the motor out and t belt off, may as well do this too, since the seal is the same age as all the rest of them.
    Doesn't this require 100+ ft.lbs. and a crank holder to get the big nut on the crank off? I don't know if i want to take that off.

My Cars
    1990 325i, '88 325is par
    bump