Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ac fan only works on 4 write up :)

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8
    This worked like a charm! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bcausseaux View Post
    Well I had the famous ac fan problem. I found some decent threads on this problem, but all were a little lacking I decided to make a pictoral walk through. With this walk through you should be in and out in under an hour

The problem is caused by the resistor to the fan. There are some that have been able to just clean the resistor and reuse. I had no such luck. I picked up a new resistor for about $50. This resistor is located under the windshield wiper cowl.

First you will need to open your hood. On the cowl you will see that it is held down by some plastic expansion pins. These pry out very easy.

Under the push pin is the actual expansion clip. These too pry out very easily. These both are reuseable. Unless you lose one you should not have to buy new ones.

Now you will have to remove the windshield wiper arms. There is a plastic cap on the arm. This easily prys off.

Under the plastic cap there is a 17mm nut. It is easy to remove also.

The Bentley will say that you need a puller tool. Not true. If you just push down where my thumb is the wiper arm will come lose with no problems.

Now that the wiper arm is out of the way, you will have to remove some weather stripping. It just pulls off and pushes back on.

Now just remove the plastic cowl. It should just easily lift off the windshield.
    What you will see is a cylinder shaped box with two plastic ties on it.

Unsnap the ties and remove the cover. On the bottom of the fan motor you will see the resistor. I am pointing to it here.

Just pull straight to the front of the car to remove it.

Here is what it looks like removed.

You can clean it off with some wd40, pop it back in and see if it works. If not, just replace with a new piece. The new one I receivied was blue.

Now put everything back together and enjoy the breeze coming from your vents
    worked like a charm! thanks

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    10.5 years later this is a welcome post--earlier this Spring I bought a '97 2.8 and the fan only works on setting 4.
    I tried cleaning up the 20 year old brown jobbie with no benefit.
    Having just ordered a blue one, I hope I'll have a positive result. With the wiper arm in the way, I would not be keen on replacing more than this item.
    Cheers!
    Brad

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Just installed the replacement resistor--SUCCESS!
    In time for summer road trips, the option to run the A/C on a fan setting other than HIGH is welcome (especially for the Other Half).
    This pictorial was of incalculable value--the one challenge was re-securing the clear plastic straps which hold the blower cover in place. My short, stubby bass-player fingers aren't the optimal tool, but I managed it.
    Cheers!

My Cars
    Several
    So mine works 90% of the time and 10% of the time you have to run it on the 3rd or 4th speed. This is the fix? Cool.

What about a temperature knob that is resistant to go from cold to hot? There's binding in the cable... Somewhere

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
    So mine works 90% of the time and 10% of the time you have to run it on the 3rd or 4th speed. This is the fix? Cool. What about a temperature knob that is resistant to go from cold to hot? There's binding in the cable... Somewhere...
    Speeds 1, 2 and 3 go through the resistor. Speed 4 does not.
    The resistor part looks like a bank of 3 resistors, one for each speed. If 3 works, maybe just the other two failed, but the whole part has to be replaced.

Don't force the knob that controls the cable. It will be easier to get in there and work on it before something happens.
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=815965
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=318432
    Last edited by Vintage42; 06-18-2017 at 06:49 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1996 Z3
    Great advice. I just had the same problem and your post was perfectly written. Ty

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info. Great job

My Cars
    1996 Z3
    the photos dont show? says there is a hosting error

My Cars
    1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by supmandan View Post
    the photos dont show? says there is a hosting error
    Could be because the original post was from 11 years ago.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Yeah Photobucket can suck it.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    My resistor went with the classic only working on the vent 4 position.

I followed this write up and it worked like a charm. I saw that many people on the forum had trouble removing the wiper blades, mine came off without any difficulties. The Resistor was $61 with the BMW CCA discount from the Dealership.

Great write up!

My Cars
    Z3 2.2 Roadster
    I took my resister out a few weeks ago because of this problem, cleaned the contacts refitted and it was OK. Next day back to the same working on 4 only situation. I'll try it again sometime.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakechan View Post
    I took my resister out a few weeks ago because of this problem, cleaned the contacts refitted and it was OK. Next day back to the same working on 4 only situation. I'll try it again sometime.
    Next time try putting on some dielectric grease before you put it back together; it might last longer.

Marty

My Cars
    Mz3.Evo8.135i6mt135isDct

ac fan only works on 4 write up

The ‘quick fix’ finally stopped working so I bought a new resistor (blue). That didn’t work so I purchased a new blower. It was quite the activity putting that blower in properly! Took several tries over several days. Wipers were not even part of the grief. Hands got scratched up a bit in the tiny working space of the blower compartment. I know this is an old post but I didn’t need to do this until twenty years after I’ve owned the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by m98bimmerforums; 05-01-2019 at 04:26 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Didn't realize this post was 16 years old. This was a huge help. Just fixed the issue of "AC only works on 4". Thank you sir.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i
    I just did this fix over the July 4th weekend. I used the Pelican Parts DIY, it was very similar. The old resistor just crumbled when I took it out, had to fish pieces out of the cowl.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345