Thread: killed one of our own (in a Jetta)

My Cars
    M3

killed one of our own (in a Jetta)

No lie. My suspicions confirmed. This Jetta put out 190rwHP and 230lb-ft of torque, just from an intake, chip and exhaust!
    Kept up with a Pontiac Trans Am last night (think it was auto) and then I had an interesting race with an E36 M3 tonight on the 57 freeway southbound, and prior to that I had it up to a quick 148mph! (And I had a 200-lb passenger) These cars can hall some serious ass. Is the owner of the silver M3 here? CYA>PM3
    pm332@hotmail.com

Hey pablo

Yeah those damn folkswagons did something funky with those vr-6's. I went to watch a friends race with one, he has a 97 gsx with b/c and freeflow, and the other guy had a glx vr-6, and if my friend didn't have awd it would have been a close race. I know they are 6 bangers and have 172 or so stock but I dont want to believe that it makes 230 foot lbs RWHP!! with just intake chip and piping!! And you beat a M3, damn it I need to get the AA kit

John

XOC is offline Existentially Confounded
    My Cars
    Ninety-Nine SuperCharged TechnoViolet Em Three
    Hmm, interesting coincidence. I exchanged looks with the driver of a debadged white Jetta this morning. On the side window it said something like "www.vwparts.com". I had never thought of a Jetta as anything to worry much about before I saw this one this morning. It just had a "sleeper" look to it.
    Lee

My Cars
    M3
    Originally posted by Imampt
    Hey pablo

Yeah those damn folkswagons did something funky with those vr-6's. I went to watch a friends race with one, he has a 97 gsx with b/c and freeflow, and the other guy had a glx vr-6, and if my friend didn't have awd it would have been a close race. I know they are 6 bangers and have 172 or so stock but I dont want to believe that it makes 230 foot lbs RWHP!! with just intake chip and piping!! And you beat a M3, damn it I need to get the AA kit

John
    No No no! This was a 1.8T. As this one is set up (with only 3 bolt-on mods) it will run circles around a stock VR6. The VR6 will never make that much torque. Not even my 3.2L M3 made 230 lb-ft, and that had intake, chip and exhaust (the M3 would still win, of course---this Jetta makes all that torque but LOW rpm..if it made 230 lb-ft up high then we'd be talking NSX 3.2L speed/hp)
    pm332@hotmail.com

Oh ok that makes more sense then. Yeah those 20 valve Audi engines are pretty nice but the stock turbo is pretty much maxed out if you raise boost pressure. What does it run like 1.25 bar boost?

Hey I havent been checking, but when did the first installment month of the project m3 circulate?

My Cars
    95 LS1 M3
    I agree, I have a '00 GTI VR-6 and those cars can be really underestimated. That thing is bone stock but has a load of punch in it. I take out all my "care" aggressions that i have for my BMW on that little car, and from the way that I've been treating it, its awesome!
    Race/Street Wheel stud conversion kits and spacers --->www.MotorsportHardware.com
    95 M3 7.1L LSX

My Cars
    M3
    Originally posted by Imampt
    Oh ok that makes more sense then. Yeah those 20 valve Audi engines are pretty nice but the stock turbo is pretty much maxed out if you raise boost pressure. What does it run like 1.25 bar boost?

Hey I havent been checking, but when did the first installment month of the project m3 circulate?
    Yeah it's over 1 bar, stock turbo. Feels way faster (I'm sure it is) than my bud's previous 99 1.8T A4 with K04 turbo upgrade. This Jetta is whacked.

The part 1 of project was out in July 2001 issue, Part2 comes out in a week or so. Part3 is right after that, still working on Part4. CYA>PM3
    pm332@hotmail.com

My Cars
    d
    my ex-girlfriend's little bro just got a VW Jetta, wolfsburg edition... the 1.8T. i know he's gonna be mad hookin that up cuz he's crazy about cars. just wonderin what he'd expect to be runnin with intake, chip, and exhaust? boosting that factory turbo is a nice plus.

My Cars
    F10 M5
    I'm sorry a VR6 engine puts down less horse power than a 325. Even with a chip intake and exhaust, there is no way the Vr6 engine can beat a decently driven m3. We're talking 70 horsepower difference. \

However a Supercharged VR6 can take a Chip intake exhaust M3 off the line to about 70 mph. After that the M3 pulls harder. I know I raced a buddy who had that setup.
    I used to beat him with a modified 325 is.
    Last edited by Greg; 06-21-2001 at 12:03 PM.
    2013 MCB F10 M5 BMS
    2014 Rubicon
    2007 997 Turbo
    2011 C6 Z06
    2007 Shelby GT500

My Cars
    97 silver 328is
    i used to have a 95 gti vr6. i added chip, throttle body, air intake and i'm tellin you that thing hauled ass. i couldn't beat an //m but he couldn't lose me either. those mods made way more of a difference than the same mods in the //m.

My Cars
    M3
    well, this isn't a VR6, but trust me, this 1.8T Jetta with basic mods will keep up with a stock M (and beat some like I did yesterday, )..what's worse about it is it's only modded with those few things! No wheels, susp, nothing! Looks BONE STOCK, even the exhaust points down, haha! I felt bad for the guy, probably had an automatic M3, but still...I'd be running to the dyno the very next day,

It got up to an indicated 148mph, (slightly downward slope...probably an actual 144-ish top speed) prior to my lil escapade with the M3---with an extra 200-lb passenger in the car, and some gear in the trunk. Funny stuff I tell ya! CYA>PM3
    Last edited by PM3; 06-21-2001 at 12:06 AM.
    pm332@hotmail.com

My Cars
    M3/Z3/X1/X3

Hes Right

The 1.8T Gets shitloads of torque from a chip, now imagine if someone did a K04 upgrade on that 1.8t motor.

The K04 upgrades cost less than 2K, and put the motor to 230hp and 265lb-ft of torque, because the turbo is bigger, that toque is available from about 2 grand all the way to redline. It will put the hurt on an ///M, its only drawback being FWD. The 1.8t is reasonably limited to about that much power tho, when it starts to get REALLY expensive to get power out of it. The VR6 with a blower will put out anywhere from 230 wheel to 270 wheel hp, with about 220 torque.

Now if you really want to get crazy, turbo a VR6. These things are insane! I know a guy who has a turbo VR6 (forged block, forged pistons, rods, etc) who puts down 400 whp. He races at Laguna Seca and pulls on Vipers on the straightaways. One time it took 4 laps for a Porsche 911 Turbo to pass the guy, and only because of a handling advantage. Of course, this is one of the best Turbo VR6s on the planet, theres plenty of them that put out about 300hp and due to the relatively light weight, can walk away from most cars.

My Cars
    Bmw E36 330i , Mazda 3

Yes VR6 Turbo Motors

Rook you are right the VR6 when turbo produces amazing power and torque I have a fiend that has 2 in a rallye Golf 4wdrive done up running 22lbs. Even at 12lbs they haul ass.

Another has one done up in a corrado and the car drives nice. Any turbo VR6 will eat a normally aspirated M car once moving as off the line traction from the front wheel is limited.

Mark
    AA Stage 1 Gen III, BMP head gasket, Bored Throttle Body, 3.0"DnPipe & Custom exhaust with AA Gen 2, Aquamist 1s water/methanol injection,
    Last dynojet Aug 02 248c SAE 369whp/354ft-lbs at 10.5psi, 1/4mile 12.6@116mph
    New Sept 02 Head work and exhaust porting, April 04:UUC Pulleys, Turbo to intercooler pipe 2.5" Aug 04 3.5"HFM,11.5psi

My Cars
    ESS supercharged e92 M3
    Even though the chip/exhaust/intake in the 1.8t looks amazing on paper.....i'm very skeptical. The reason is b/c i have raced a 99 passat 1.8t with chip/exhaust/intake and beat him 5 times in a row. The closest he got was a car length and a half from my bumper. My car was stock at the time. Its a 96 328i. He was bragging for months about how his four banger was going to kick my ass and i have to admit i didn't want to race him. NOw that i beat him he doesn't say anything well except for talking about a KO4 turbo. I have no chance then but anyway i know a jetta is lighter than a passat but i don't think it could keep up with an m...

My Cars
    M3

K04 Turbo

had a friend with a 1.8T with Neuspeed K04 Turbo upgrade...was fast, but not as fast as a stock M3 (but it was close)....this Jetta, however, has the same stock K03 turbo and will outrun that Audi I'm talking about. I was there when they did the install and know there's no K04 in there. LIke I said before, I even kept up with a V8 Pontiac Trans Am (I think auto) on the highway...my friend with a 5.0L Cobra Mustang drove the Jetta and said, "dude, I think it will take the Cobra!" I love this car, wish it was mine. CYA>PM3
    pm332@hotmail.com

My Cars
    ESS supercharged e92 M3
    Just trade the bimmer in for one..... heheheh