Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forbes kit installed!!!

My Cars
    '04 M3

Forbes kit installed!!!

After thinking long and hard about what to do about my car's subframe problem I finally bit the bullet and bought Randy's kit. I pretty much researched every option I had and Randy's kit was far and away the best solution, but I think a lot of you already know that. The problem I ran into was finding someone in southern CA who could do a good job. I talked to probably 10 different shops and finally gave the job to Dynamic Race Solutions (DRS) in La Habra.

# ADDRESS: 401 Park Industrial Drive, La Habra ,CA 90631
    # PHONE: 562.694.2226
    # FAX: 562.694.5244
    # ORDERS: 866.694.2226
    # E-MAIL: sales@racesolutions.com

I got the car back today and it feels better than ever! No more creaks and squeaks coming from the rear hatch, no more of that flexing feeling, the car is solid now. If any of you in so cal are thinking about where to get your subframe fixed give DRS a call and ask for Geoff. Here are some pics of the work.

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8L
    congrats...looks like a nice job

My Cars
    M Coupe - Sunroof Delete
    looks good. How much did it cost total, including RF kit?

David

My Cars
    '04 M3
    $525 RF kit
    $200 misc parts incl e36 cover
    $1500 flat rate labor

$2225 Total

My Cars
    '13 BMW 335i Convertible
    how hard is it to install the RF kit yourself? I feel like my subframe is busted (just a hunch) but I'm too scared to actually look because I know I can't afford to fix it right now...

My Cars
    2010 BMW 135i Coupé
    Quote Originally Posted by enyrgee View Post
    how hard is it to install the RF kit yourself? I feel like my subframe is busted (just a hunch) but I'm too scared to actually look because I know I can't afford to fix it right now...
    Can you weld?

I wouldnt trust some average joe schmoe to install a kit that holds basically the rear of your car together.
    -Dustin

My Cars
    '04 M3
    Unless you can weld, I dont think you should attempt it. Other than that, it's actually not that hard to disassemble everything and to put it back together (it's about the same work to install subframe bushings).

My Cars
    '13 BMW 335i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBoyZ3 View Post
    Can you weld?

I wouldnt trust some average joe schmoe to install a kit that holds basically the rear of your car together.
    Hmm... I can't weld, but my uncle can...

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    Looks like really nice work. One less thing to worry about.

My Cars
    M Coupe - Sunroof Delete
    Quote Originally Posted by whoadude View Post
    $525 RF kit
    $200 misc parts incl e36 cover
    $1500 flat rate labor

$2225 Total
    Besides the e36 cover what other parts do I need to get?

Thanks for all the info, I'm ready to do this now.

David

My Cars
    Z3 3.0i Roadster, E39 530i, Toyota Previa S/C
    congrats dude... now you can supercharge or turbo your car and never worry about falling apart...

My Cars
    Street Missile/Track Weapon
    That seems like a great price installed.

Glad to see shes back on the road again

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by VROOMCP View Post
    Besides the e36 cover what other parts do I need to get?

Thanks for all the info, I'm ready to do this now.

David
    Just want to mention that in addition to the standard E36 cover, you have the option of the finned cover from Rougue (http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...tegory_Code=DC) or TC Design (http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/TCD-FDC/).

Note Rougue's forgery warning notice. LOL.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap

Yup. Especially if you are using a low ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by felonious monk View Post
    Just want to mention that in addition to the standard E36 cover, you have the option of the finned cover from Rougue (http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...tegory_Code=DC) or TC Design (http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/TCD-FDC/).

Note Rougue's forgery warning notice. LOL.
    Not to crack on the project as the work looks good from the pics. But I would not call the job complete until the finned cover is on there.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    If the car doesn't see the track... the standard cover should be fine. I believe Randy agrees.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    '04 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerZ5 View Post
    congrats dude... now you can supercharge or turbo your car and never worry about falling apart...
    She is supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Not to crack on the project as the work looks good from the pics. But I would not call the job complete until the finned cover is on there.
    Yeah I wrestled with the idea of getting the RE cover, but being that I had to break the piggybank just to get this fixed I opted to save the extra $460 for now.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by felonious monk View Post
    If the car doesn't see the track... the standard cover should be fine. I believe Randy agrees.
    Certainly twisty track and autox will heat the packs up, but a long high speed blast with low gears is just as dangerous. It is the reason many hot rodders of the 70/80s would use an Richmond underdrive transmission. 5th was 1:1 but first was lower then OEM. It was like running an OD tranny 1-4 with a 4.11 rearend. But since you mated 3:36 behind the Richmond the chance of overheat was much reduced. Most of the ratios used by the coupe have a pretty good angle on them. Strong, quiet, and inefficient. Read full of friction. Then again, you can argue that the e36 did not have fins and all those donor 3.73s seem to be holding up pretty good. You're probably right. Just change the oil every year.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Certainly twisty track and autox will heat the packs up, but a long high speed blast with low gears is just as dangerous. It is the reason many hot rodders of the 70/80s would use an Richmond underdrive transmission. 5th was 1:1 but first was lower then OEM. It was like running an OD tranny 1-4 with a 4.11 rearend. But since you mated 3:36 behind the Richmond the chance of overheat was much reduced. Most of the ratios used by the coupe have a pretty good angle on them. Strong, quiet, and inefficient. Read full of friction. Then again, you can argue that the e36 did not have fins and all those donor 3.73s seem to be holding up pretty good. You're probably right. Just change the oil every year.
    When my S-54 was done, Rogue was out of stock on the covers. I made the trip to/from Homecoming (a little over 1700 miles r/t) and was a little concerned. However, we ran the Dragon, lots of other mountain backroads and plenty of Interstate miles without incidence.

The Rogue cover came in about a month later and was quickly put on

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by whoadude View Post
    She is supercharged

Yeah I wrestled with the idea of getting the RE cover, but being that I had to break the piggybank just to get this fixed I opted to save the extra $460 for now.
    Car looks good! However, now that I see the pics (read your E-mail first), I see that the asphalt mat was left off.

I replace everything I remove, down to the last detail

My Cars
    2010 BMW 135i Coupé
    Randy...is your kit the same for the non M's as the Ms? I know the battery cover is in a different location. Im looking to upgrade diffs on the Z3 when I drop the new motor, and want to reinforce and go dual ear finned cover as well.

Just wanna make sure I wont run into any problems.
    -Dustin

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBoyZ3 View Post
    Randy...is your kit the same for the non M's as the Ms? I know the battery cover is in a different location. Im looking to upgrade diffs on the Z3 when I drop the new motor, and want to reinforce and go dual ear finned cover as well.

Just wanna make sure I wont run into any problems.
    I never put one in a four (4) cylinder, but Joe did prior to fitting the LS1 sbc.

I've only done one (1) non-M (a 3.0) but all the parts I supply fit it the same as any M version.

You'll have to trade off the spare tire carrier to fit the dual ear cover though (spare tire fits inside the trunk). On the bright side, the stock exhaust fit without mods.

My Cars
    e30, e46, Super Duty
    I did some other mods so I can't really comment on whether you'll run into issues or not Dustin. In addition to the reinforcement I also had some work done on the trunk floor itself to get rid of the tools/spare to make room for a second muffler, and I also had a spot created for the battery.

The fabricator thought I may have clearance trouble with the new diff cover and the 4cyl sway bar, but in the end it was a non-issue.
    1991 e30 318is Slicktop - Gone
    1996 LS1 Z3 - Gone
    99 e46 323i - Gone
    2003 e46 xiT - Hers
    2014 F-250 CC- Mostly stock

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Car looks good! However, now that I see the pics (read your E-mail first), I see that the asphalt mat was left off.

I replace everything I remove, down to the last detail

+1

Did they reinstall the 2 pieces that hold the floor cover? Also, disconnecting or taping the diff/brake sensor cable only take a couple min before painting.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, Z4M, E90 M3
    Very very nie Seb, congrats. Must be happy.

BTW, if the Forbes kit is installed on a non-M, it will move the battery to the middle like on the Ms right?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound Of Speed View Post
    Very very nie Seb, congrats. Must be happy.

BTW, if the Forbes kit is installed on a non-M, it will move the battery to the middle like on the Ms right?
    Nope, stays right where it was:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast