Thread: Ignition issue

My Cars
    91 318is, 98 318ti M CA

Ignition issue

*******THIS IS FOR A 528E/325E type E28/E30 WITH AN M20 ENGINE*******

I would like to know how the ignition is triggered in these cars. I know how it works on the M50/M42, but those are kind of different since they have a distributor... The other ones collapse the circuit in the coil using the wires that are all inside the connector to the coil pack, however this one has a single coil, a positive and a negative and there is a wire going to the distributor....

So - can anyone please explain to me how these systems work? Its got the 078 ECU (Motronic 1.3??) I Know I need to have a CPS and all the wiring working on it, however this problem came out of nowhere - it was running on and on, and then one day it just wouldnt start. Noone even looked under the hood... So I am not sure what it is at all... Basically I need a short explanation on how it works and a possible culprit.

Thank you all

-Artem

My Cars
    87 325is
    Ignition on this engine is controlled by the DME based on the timing reference signal. It does have a distributor, but its purposed is simply to distribute the spark to each cylinder.

Does the car have spark when the engine cranks over? No spark would indicate a problem with the timing reference or DME.

Does it have normal fuel pressure at the fuel rail when cranking? Lack of pressure would indicate a problem with the fuel pump or relay.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    91 M20 Turbo Coupe,
    Crank Sensor causes me 3 days of agonized searching. and another 2 days of frustrating Bolt strippage.

but with that said i think its the Crank Sensor located under the distributor cap , above the Ac compressor.
    atleast on my M20
    06 Dodge Charger R/T Top Banana Daytona #608 91 E30 M20B28 Turbo - Assembled and Pushed 310hp Until Tires Failed. 14inch rubber screams for MERCY!!

My Cars
    91 318is, 98 318ti M CA
    Sounds good. The car dosent have spark when engine cranks over... Thats why I know it has something to do with the parts listed. Will check the reference sensor.