Thread: e34 Parking Sensor Help

My Cars
    95' M3, 01' 530i

e34 Parking Sensor Help

I have a 95' 540i (auto) and i've encountered a little problem.

I pulled into my driveway the other day, put the car in park and shut off it off. A few mins. later I need to start it up again and I got nothing... not even a click. All the dash lights would come on but the car wouldn't start. I pulled the shifter into drive and back into parking again (while the car was off), turned the key and the car started right up. This problem has gotten worse over time to the point where it doesn't start up anymore. Fortunately I was at home when it decided to die on me.

I spoke to a friend of mine and he said it was the the magnetic parking sensor (or something along those lines) that is attached at the base of the shifter. I've ordered the part and will be changing it out this weekend. I will need to pull the center console in order to get to it.

Have any of you guys had this same problem before?

My Cars
    95' M3, 01' 530i
    Well, after my car being out of service for about 2 months, I finally figured out what was wrong with it. All it needed was a new key. I ordered it last week and it came in yesterday. The car started right up like a champ.

The Symptom: The car wouldn't always start up. (starting it up was ramdom) When it did decide to start the car ran perfectly.

Unnecessary parts replaced: Magnetic parking switch and ignition switch (the electrical part of it)

Parts checked: starter, wiring, sensors, relays and fuses

The culprit: The Key

I did not know this but the key has a chip inside of it. There is an antenna around the ignition cylinder that reads the key when inserted.

Apparently, the chip inside my old key want bad causing it not to start.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    Glad you figured it out. I had no idea the 95's already had the failure prone "theft deterrent" transponder key.

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle View Post
    Glad you figured it out. I had no idea the 95's already had the failure prone "theft deterrent" transponder key.
    1/95+
    -Denton

My Cars
    95' M3, 01' 530i
    In efforts of finding the problem, I bought the scan tool and it was reading the "EWS" (which I beleive is the security system) as an error.

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jaym3 View Post
    In efforts of finding the problem, I bought the scan tool and it was reading the "EWS" (which I beleive is the security system) as an error.
    Electonic Watchdog System is what I've heard it stands for.

We have EWS-II, which kinda sucks because it gives problems like you have. But you do get that big black one-piece key.
    -Denton