Thread: Fault Code Reader (non-engine codes)....?

My Cars
    1997 328i

Fault Code Reader (non-engine codes)....?

I just got a Peake Research tool, but was disappointed to see that the only codes it reads are the engine codes. I wasn't all that heart broken because it's still a good tool to have, but what I really need is something to read my airbag faults, so I can see what sensor it is that's giving me the airbag light.

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket tool/software that will enable me to read all the fault codes (non-engine included)?

Thanks,
    -Jeremy

My Cars
    540iT, GT3
    I know there's a tool to reset the SRS codes, but it doesn't read 'em. The tool is $250. I think it also does engine codes.

I have not heard of a tool that is sold for actually reading the SRS codes and is available to the general public. My understanding is that only dealers and certain mechanics have them.

Sure, there are tools available, but I don't think you'd want to pay what they cost. A friend of mine gave me a demonstration of the Snap-On code reader, with the BMW specific module. Very, very cool - read/reset all the engine codes, ABS, SRS, monitored the OBD-2 diagnostics, etc., etc., etc. Did all the BMW-specific stuff. Great tool, but they wanted somewhere around 3K for the whole setup, including the BMW module...

Comparable tools that I've found run about the same by the time you get the correct modules, cables, etc.

Jim