Thread: Any DIY for changing master brake cylinder? Need help...

My Cars
    02' 911, 01' M3, 98' 528

Any DIY for changing master brake cylinder? Need help...

Hello guys,

I think i need to change out my master brake cylinder. I'm not getting any pressure in my hydraulics. When i press the brake pedal it just goes in and does not come back out.

Been searching the web for any info regarding changing the master brake cylinder. I believe that that is the culprit. Any of you guys done this before? If so what should i be aware of? I know that i have to flush the system of the old brake fluid, but i don't have a pressure bleeder. Will have to do it the old fashion way.

Any heads up info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    B

My Cars
    bmw 528i 1998
    when you press the brake pedal do you need both feet to come to a stop . Because I have the same problem. How much is the brake cylinder

My Cars
    02' 911, 01' M3, 98' 528
    no just one foot to stop the car and the other foot to pull it back out. In your case i think it is definately the master brake cylinder. for me, i don't know if it's for sure after talking to the tech.

My Cars
    00 528i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bm3power View Post
    If so what should i be aware of? I know that i have to flush the system of the old brake fluid, but i don't have a pressure bleeder. Will have to do it the old fashion way.
    You definitely do not want any air to enter the ABS unit, or you will need to go to the dealer for a special (likely costly) purge. I would do it like this:

1. Remove the wheels, but do not touch the calipers.

2. Remove the old master cylinder

3. Fill the new master cylinder with fluid and pump it a few times to fill all the cavities before installing it.

4. Install it but do not pump it yet.

5. Push in a few brake pads to push fluid up into the new master cylinder. This should purge any air into the cylinder instead of the ABS unit. Once the air bubbles out, suck out as much of the old fluid as possible with a siphon or syringe. Add new fluid.

6. NOW bleed the system "the old fashioned way". Remember to keep adding fluid in the master cylinder as it goes down. Hopefully, you will not have any air in the ABS unit at this time.

Good Luck,

Matthew

My Cars
    02' 911, 01' M3, 98' 528
    I just found out that it's not the master brake cylinder, but the brake booster instead. Any info as to how hard this repair will be?

Thanks