Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Spal electric fan wiring DIY

My Cars
    Broken
    That's odd. I don't have the ETM on me at the moment to check for you but you unplug the fan switch connector and jump the middle pin (should be ground) to one of the outer pins using scrap wire or paper clip to test the different fan speeds (temp settings). I believe you have to have the key in the ON position, but not the engine. You could do it with the engine on also but it's easier to hear the difference between the two with everything else off.

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    Not sure how that will help me with the car off, I guess Id just have to have the car running and mess around with it to see which is which. Thanks for the response.
    Last edited by SamGrant951; 03-28-2017 at 10:00 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I would look at a Bentley manual to trace the colors for the 95.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by SamGrant951 View Post
    Not sure how that will help me with the car off, I guess Id just have to have the car running and mess around with it to see which is which. Thanks for the response.
    You wanted to know which is high and which is low. That's the easiest way to tell. Jump the pins to activate the relays. however, the relays are only energized when the key is in the on position. you can do it with the engine running or not but the audible difference is easier to distinguish with the engine off.

My Cars
    951, LTW M3, GTI
    ah ok, I get it. Ill check the bentley as well. thanks!

My Cars
    Broken

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Back from the dead as I'm about to install the BimmerWorld kit.

Just so I'm clear on this, if I wire into the Aux fan low temp setting the Spal fan will turn on at the low temp setting but then turn off at the high temp setting? If I want the Spal fan to turn on at the low temp setting and stay on at the high temp setting I have to tap into both the temp sensor wires? Additionally if I wire it that way the Spal fan will turn on when I turn on the A/C?

TIA!
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    Back from the dead as I'm about to install the BimmerWorld kit.

Just so I'm clear on this, if I wire into the Aux fan low temp setting the Spal fan will turn on at the low temp setting but then turn off at the high temp setting? If I want the Spal fan to turn on at the low temp setting and stay on at the high temp setting I have to tap into both the temp sensor wires? Additionally if I wire it that way the Spal fan will turn on when I turn on the A/C?

TIA!

The low speed relay is triggered via the A/C so, tapping into the Low Temp wire will trigger the fan both when the low temp is triggered and/or the A/C is turned on. If you want it to turn on at Low AND High temps then yes, you need to tap into both. I believe the radiator fan switch is a single pole double throw switch internally so only one contact/output will be on at a time so that both the Low and High speed fan relays aren't on at the same time.

If you decide to tap into both, I recommend diode-isolating the switch outputs from one another so they don't feed back into each other. The Cathode (striped side) of each diode should be tapped into the radiator switch outputs and the Anodes (black or blank side) should be tied together and used to trigger your Spal fan relay.

Let me know if you (or anyone reading this) would like a drawing to picture it easier.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Hmm. Ok. So what I want to have happen is the Spal fan to come on at low temp threshold and stay on when the high temp threshold is reached. Additionally it would be nice if the Spal fan came on with the A/C.

So I need to tap into both the temp sensor wires for that to happen then? Yes, if you could post up a diagram with the diodes that'd be great. What resistance/size diodes do I need to use?

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Hmm. Ok. So what I want to have happen is the Spal fan to come on at low temp threshold and stay on when the high temp threshold is reached. Additionally it would be nice if the Spal fan came on with the A/C.

So I need to tap into both the temp sensor wires for that to happen then? Yes, if you could post up a diagram with the diodes that'd be great. What resistance/size diodes do I need to use?
    No problem. I'm at work now, but I'll put together a drawing for you later.

I'm actually building a huge diy/informational about electric.fan cooling for our cars I hope to have done in the next month or so.

I'll be covering everything from triggering via a manual switch, AC, temp sensors and probes and a combination of all as well as schematics and hardware recommendations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    I'm actually building a huge diy/informational about electric.fan cooling for our cars I hope to have done in the next month or so.

I'll be covering everything from triggering via a manual switch, AC, temp sensors and probes and a combination of all as well as schematics and hardware recommendations.

Awesome! I just picked up a new radiator / Spal fan combo so this will about perfect timing. Thanks for putting in the time to work on something to help us all out.

I just jumped to the end of the thread when I saw it so I didn't read through it but I assume there's going to be wiring differences between the obd1 and obd2 cars right?
    Turbo E36 M3 with all the things..

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Sorry about not following up last night. The house got a little hectic. Got some free time right now while at work so I put this together real quick.

Should be the same for OBD1 & OBD2. I believe the only differences will be on the wiring colors coming from the fan switch so I left those out. They can easily be found in either the Bentley or ETM books.

As for the diodes, they just need to be a standard 1N4000 series Schottky diode. I believe I used two 1N4001. Any from 1N4000 through1N4007 should be more than enough since there's minimal current passing through.

This setup will allow the electric fan relay to trigger off of either the low and/or high fan speed as well as automatically when the AC is turned on. When the AC is turned on, the low speed relay is activated this activating your fan relay.

As for the fuse, it really depends on your fan and what the manufacturer recommends. I have a high output 16" Spal puller and although they recommend a 30A fuse, mine kept blowing from time to time so I upgraded to a 40A fuse and it's been fine. I used 12ga stranded wire to supply power to the fan as well as 12ga for the ground and I'm not sharing the wiring with any other circuit so I know my wiring is safe (fuses are meant to protect the wiring of the circuit they're in line with and 12ga is overkill for my setup, but better safe than sorry). The ground point I used was the same used by the engine located under the passenger/right side front frame support. I believe it's a 10 or 13mm nut. I pulled the nut off, cleaned the area well with a brush and degreaser, and then attachedy ground with an crimped eyelet/loop connection, then reattached my nut.

There are a few other small details I'm leaving out about my wiring because it doesn't affect the operation of the fan but I will put it in my writeup (things like using weatherpak connectors, loom/wire protection, preferred mounting locations for wire and fan, etc).

Enjoy.

Last edited by LockDots; 06-23-2017 at 06:48 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Consider running a quality 2 speed fan like the Derale 17 inch UP. Its also thin.

Or, for the Spal, use 2 relays with the power outputs joined at the fan, with one relay triggered by the factory switch low ground and one by the factory high ground. A little more wiring but put the relays side by side and they can share some wiring.

Or twist the factory switch grounds together.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Well, I have the Spal/BimmerWorld kit sitting on my garage floor right now, so that's what's going in, too late to change!

Just because its early and I'm feeling stupid, if I just tap off the low temp wire on the temp sensor, the Spal will come on at low temp and then stay on? Or will come on at the low temp, then cycle off when the high temp is reached?

If it comes on at low temp and stays on, I'll just wire it like that.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Well, I have the Spal/BimmerWorld kit sitting on my garage floor right now, so that's what's going in, too late to change!

Just because its early and I'm feeling stupid, if I just tap off the low temp wire on the temp sensor, the Spal will come on at low temp and then stay on? Or will come on at the low temp, then cycle off when the high temp is reached?

If it comes on at low temp and stays on, I'll just wire it like that.
    Shuts off when temp is below or above the low thresholds. If the temp climbs higher and triggers the "high" output the "low" shuts off.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    OK, that's what I thought. Then I'm going to have to tap into both the wires then to keep it on once the low temp threshold is hit.

Got all the mechicals installed, just need to do the wiring and fill/bleed the coolant system.

BimmerWorld is using a slim Spal fan now, no issues with clearance, I have the fan pretty much centered in the radiator shroud opening.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Just make sure you isolate them from one another otherwise both inputs on the aux fan power inputs will be on at the same time. I'm not sure if there will/could be any damage due to this, but I know that only one relay is activated at a time because of the nature of how the radiator switch is wired internally.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Gotcha. Ran into an issue tho, now that Radio Shack is closed, where do I buy the diodes?

Dumb question, but I'm going to be combining the two signal wires together, the diodes are what seperate the signals?

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Well, no place local has them, so I'll be ordering from Amazon, which means I'll have a TON of these. Anyone needs some, ping me.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Gotcha. Ran into an issue tho, now that Radio Shack is closed, where do I buy the diodes?

Dumb question, but I'm going to be combining the two signal wires together, the diodes are what seperate the signals?
    Correct. Combined on one side separated on the other.
    Well, no place local has them, so I'll be ordering from Amazon, which means I'll have a TON of these. Anyone needs some, ping me.
    You should have Pm'd me. I have hundreds lol.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Pm sent!

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Ok the diodes from Amazon and my new soldering iron this past Wednesday. This morning I went out there to finish up the wiring and fill/burp the system.

I used two 1N7001 series diodes, wired like LockDots posted. I was a little apprehensive if I'd done the wiring correctly, but the fan did come on when the low temp threshold was hit and cycle on/off. The front pusher fan didn't come on too tho, isn't is supposed to? I thought the front pusher and rear puller fan would come on together with the wiring this way?

Did the fill/burp. Waiting for the car to completely cool off and I'll top off the coolant and put a heat cycle on it and burp out the rest of the air.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Yes the front should come on too. Test the connector at the fan for voltage when the relays are triggered. If you have voltage the fan is toast or on its way out. Spin the fan by hand and see how it feels. Should turn pretty smooth.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Front pusher fan is brand new. I'll check the fuse for it first, it might have popped.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Ok, fuses are good. Front fan spins freely. Front fan doesn't come on when I turn on the AC. So did I mess up the wiring of the puller fan so now the front fan isn't getting a signal?

How could that even happen?
    Last edited by DocWyte; 06-30-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast