Thread: Looking at a 2000 540, good buy?

My Cars
    07 335i Cabrio 6speed

Looking at a 2000 540, good buy?

Hey guys, back in the game again after a month hiatus<---heh, love saying that. Anyway. This black 540 popped up, 2000, 92,000 miles, sport package, 6-speed. Clear title and everything but the guy said he's only had to fix the driver's lock and windshield, no mention of any cooling repairs... What to do? like always i can still wait for another (but i want bimmer now!) oh yeah, price would be like 12,000 or 12,5. Thanks oh also, it has no heated seats (yes i DO want them real bad, so thats another thing to think bout it)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540I(A)ESS Super Charged, 04 Jetta VR6
    I say that is a good deal looks clean. Just have it check out by a mechanic! Think Clutch, Cheack Dash computer display. Font suspension. I would have a mechanic go over it usually $100 or less could save you mucho denero.

ESS SuperCharger 6psi, ESS Exhaust

My Cars
    07 335i Cabrio 6speed
    Whre can i get a mechanic to do that? Car is in NJ, i am in GA.

My Cars
    Find a mechanic in NJ and talk to him have the owner take the car over there and call the mechanic for the report. Pay what it cost with a Credit Card. If you realy want the car I made my seller pay as long as a clean report I agreed to buy.

My Cars
    Mag SRT8
    M steering wheel = good. Would you use the heated seats in GA? I think 12k is an excellent buy for the south US. I live in the Northwest, and that car would not sell for less than 20k.

My Cars
    07 335i Cabrio 6speed
    Well the auction will be up soon enough, and the guy is kinda assholeish, he says that the lowest is 15. but i dont wanna pay more than 14 even more so when i have to go all the way to PA from GA. Is 14,000 bad? Carfax shows a clean report. guy told me he got a new clutch like 2,500 miles ago and that its mechanically good, but then again any guy selling would say that

My Cars
    E39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by EdZorX View Post
    Well the auction will be up soon enough, and the guy is kinda assholeish, he says that the lowest is 15. but i dont wanna pay more than 14 even more so when i have to go all the way to PA from GA. Is 14,000 bad? Carfax shows a clean report. guy told me he got a new clutch like 2,500 miles ago and that its mechanically good, but then again any guy selling would say that
    $15k, 92,000 miles, unknown maintenance history? I'd pass. I know it's tough, but just be patient and you'll find the right one.

<-- WTF?

My Cars
    Make sure to see recipe for the work I would go like 13,500

My Cars
    07 335i Cabrio 6speed
    Shit, we settled on 14,000 already, i'm supposed to make a deposit of 1,500 by tomorrow, i dunno, should i wait around? The guy is a dealer guy that sells wholesale to other dealers so the car is marked down cause of that. Should i bring a mechanic to find the work on it? I NEED HELP!

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe Estoril/Blk
    Personally, I would never buy a 540i before seeing it in person. These are very sophisticated cars and they can cost a great deal to fix if not maintained. As an example, a valley pan/intake gasket repair (common on V8's) will cost you $1000 to fix from the dealer. Radiator, waterpump, thermostat another $1000. Water cooled alternator, you guessed it, another $1000. Control arms, ball joints, etc - you get the point. Absolutely do not commit to any deposit until you can coordinate a prepurchase inspection. Ask the seller where the closest BMW dealer is, tell him you will schedule an appointment for a prepurchase inspection and pay for it. If he won't do it, walk away and feel good about it. You'll find another. If he agrees and it checks out fine, then $14K is a good deal. Just make sure you know what you're getting into so you don't have buyers remorse. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

My Cars
    e39's, e30's, e46's, e53
    I know it's not what you're looking for, but I got an '01 530i CPO with 20k of warranty left for 14k from ebay. Hang in there, those deals are out there and the right one will pop up.

My Cars
    07 335i Cabrio 6speed
    omg i such a nervous wreck, i mean the car looks flawless, and the wheels and everything, oh man i so wish this car was closer so i could just go look at it, and i gotta make up my mind by tomorrow midday, omg i dont think i can sleep tonight...

My Cars
    Mag SRT8
    If it makes you feel better, I bought my car without ever seeing it in person, had it shipped 2500 miles. It had a couple small scratches and stuff he didnt tell me about and I had to fix a few things... But I got such a steal it was worth it. I dont regret it at all.
    I say go for it. 14k seems like a good price for a 2000. Also, 6-speeds are hard to come by.

Just be prepared to spend some time and money on fixing things. There are cheaper alternatives to the dealer if you can turn a wrench or know someone with experience.

Owning one of these machines is not like any other car. they are very fickle. But when you drive it, youll be glad you chose it.

Hope this helps

My Cars
    07 335i Cabrio 6speed
    wow MechEngr i seriously spent all night thinking about this, seriously just praying over it too. Then i come up and see this message, it feels good you know? Thanks a lot i think i'm gonna do it. Thanks for all the help, i'll update you ppl when i get more details

My Cars
    07 335i Cabrio 6speed
    whoa, ok the guy was a complete asshole. So sending a wire transfer for 1,500 dollars to a guy i dont even know and didnt even make me feel comfortable when buying the car just made me nervous. He wanted me to have sent him the money today by noon, but his partner never called. Ok so if he is so fearful that i'm not going to get the car, why would i call him, offer 500 dollars (on paypal, but he wouldnt admit paypal anyway) and spend 200 dollars on plane tickets? So i just called him, and told him that for that amount without being able to see the car i didnt want it anymore, so he turns around and says, "yeah that;s why i dont deal with ebay ppl, and if you're ever buying a car on ebay again, i'll let ppl know how you do business, and slams the phone" well i learned my lesson, no sending money ever on a car i wont be able to see. i do feel glad i got away =]

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe Estoril/Blk
    whoa, ok the guy was a complete asshole. So sending a wire transfer for 1,500 dollars to a guy i dont even know and didnt even make me feel comfortable when buying the car just made me nervous. He wanted me to have sent him the money today by noon, but his partner never called. Ok so if he is so fearful that i'm not going to get the car, why would i call him, offer 500 dollars (on paypal, but he wouldnt admit paypal anyway) and spend 200 dollars on plane tickets? So i just called him, and told him that for that amount without being able to see the car i didnt want it anymore, so he turns around and says, "yeah that;s why i dont deal with ebay ppl, and if you're ever buying a car on ebay again, i'll let ppl know how you do business, and slams the phone" well i learned my lesson, no sending money ever on a car i wont be able to see. i do feel glad i got away =]
    Wholesalers want to do one thing - move cars fast. To them, cars are just units and the more they move, the more they make. This may not apply to all, but probably to most. See if you can find one locally owned by an enthusiast that really took good care of the car. Perhaps join your local BMW club and check out their newsletter to see what's for sale. I believe you would be in the Peachtree chapter. There's an absolutely gorgeous 2000 540i6 w/ 53K miles in Biarritz Blue? for sale near Boston, but it's $20K. You can see it on Craigslist-boston.

My Cars
    07 335i Cabrio 6speed
    Oh so that explains it, well he was never EVER nice to begin with, so i'm not dealing with it again. The good thing is i was so mad at what happened that i went in and put an offer for one going for 19,000 (i put 14,000 lol) and called two guys who have 97's, both black, tan interior, one is owned by some young guy so he has M5 bumper, eisenhaus exhaust and all black look to it (but i hate the rims) and they are both in ATL, so i'm gonna tell the old man to just shove it lol, oh and i'll look at the boston one

My Cars
    F10 535xi M Sport
    Whre can i get a mechanic to do that? Car is in NJ, i am in GA.
    If the car is near Princeton, I know a bunch of people at Princeton BMW. They would take care of you and it would probably cost around $100 or so from my experience.

Chris

My Cars
    1995 e38, 1988 e28, 1997 540i/6
    Anyone who insists you give them non-refundable money before having a chance to see and inspect the car in person, is someone you don't want to do business with. You made the right choice. I've found there's a lot of good BMW enthusiasts who respect their cars and potential new owners more than this guy sounded.

Good luck in your search and as some others have said, be patient.