Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel trim malfunction in bank one and two! WTF

My Cars
    2006 ZHP Coupe, '00 986S

Fuel trim malfunction in bank one and two! WTF

I got a check engine light this morning after letting my car run for about 10minutes. I went to Autozone and it came back as "Fuel trim malfunction bank 1 and bank 2" WTF is this? Why are E36 M3's such failure prone hunks of crap? Every week something goes bad. Hell my E30 with 230K on it was way more reliable.

My Cars
    none
    I hate to tell you. But, the e36 (or the 5 that I have owned) Are very well built. With the exception of the windows, and small other problems. I think you have a Ford Built BMW. Your car was beat the ef up!

And DO NOT ever allow your car to idle for 10 min. to get warm. It will tell you...1 sec...on page 85 in the manual. "DO NOT ALLOW THE ENGINE TO WARM TO ITS NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURE BY LEAVING IT IDELING AND IN PARK."

"THIS WILL CAUSE UNEVEN LUBRICATION, AND PREMATURE WEAR."

My Cars
    2006 ZHP Coupe, '00 986S
    Quote Originally Posted by m3outtanowhere View Post
    I hate to tell you. But, the e36 (or the 5 that I have owned) Are very well built. With the exception of the windows, and small other problems. I think you have a Ford Built BMW. Your car was beat the ef up!

And DO NOT ever allow your car to idle for 10 min. to get warm. It will tell you...1 sec...on page 85. "DO NOT ALLOW THE ENGINE TO WARM TO ITS NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURE BY LEAVING IT IDELING AND IN PARK."

"THIS WILL CAUSE UNEVEN LUBRICATION, AND PREMATURE WEAR."
    I drove it lightly to normal temps. I have owned several BMW's and other higher end cars and know what I am doing. I just want to figure out this problem. This car is more unreliable than a piece of crap Ford Probe GT I had with more miles and horrible abuse. I am not impressed.

My Cars
    97' M3
    you should sell it.

sounds like a O2 malfunction. $80/ea and there are 4 of them. Enjoy!

My Cars
    2006 ZHP Coupe, '00 986S
    Quote Originally Posted by M3BimmerBilly View Post
    you should sell it.

sounds like a O2 malfunction. $80/ea and there are 4 of them. Enjoy!
    Well screw this hunk of crap. I just did the head gasket. E36M3=pile of shit.

My Cars
    Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    ya but there there fun as shit too lol!

My Cars
    97' M3

Dont be sad panda bear

You have the best color! technoFTW

My Cars
    2006 ZHP Coupe, '00 986S
    Meh, had Autozone reset the CEL and I am gonna drive it until the thing blows up again.

My Cars
    97' M3
    you know you can get 4 wire Bosch o2s from ebay that work. You just need to splice into the old pigtails. They are only like $35/ea

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    I would like the P Code that came with that code. Because you can have random E36 owners just tell you possibly wrong info and waste money like it seems you are consurn about OR Give all the info you can. Have some one who works on bmws or knows more then the normal E30 or E36 owner. And then take there answer to heart.

The big info I want is what are your Long Term Fuel trim numbers. Are they Positive or Negitive? By telling me this, I can inform you if your can has a vacuum leak or possible other problems.

And heres the low down on Fuel Trims:

Positive numbers mean your car is adding fuel because the O2 sensors see more O2 then normal. So its trying to hold the constant 14.7:1 that was programmed into it.

Negitive numbers mean that your car is reducing the amount of fuel going into your engine because the O2 sensor isn't seeing that much O2.

Some reasons for the possible numbers above is - vacuum leak, clogged air filter, failing fuel pump, failing Fuel pressure regulator, and other possiblitys. Now on the other side this could just be one of Bmws normal oops problems. In that case you may just need to replace "A" sensor or many sensors. But again I wouldn't spend money on parts yet. It needs more Diag before then.

Hope this helps, and sorry if I have misspelled anything. If other members have problems with what I said please contact me by Pm so we can keep on topic.

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    I would like the P Code that came with that code. Because you can have random E36 owners just tell you possibly wrong info and waste money like it seems you are consurn about OR Give all the info you can. Have some one who works on bmws or knows more then the normal E30 or E36 owner. And then take there answer to heart.

The big info I want is what are your Long Term Fuel trim numbers. Are they Positive or Negitive? By telling me this, I can inform you if your can has a vacuum leak or possible other problems.

Positive numbers mean your car is adding fuel because the O2 sensors see more O2 then normal. So its trying to hold the constant 14.7:1 that was programmed into it.

Negitive numbers mean that your car is reducing the amount of fuel going into your engine because the O2 sensor isn't seeing that much O2.

Some reasons for the possible numbers above is - vacuum leak, clogged air filter, failing fuel pump, failing Fuel pressure regulator, and other possiblitys. Now on the other side this could just be one of Bmws normal oops problems. In that case you may just need to replace "A" sensor or many sensors. But again I wouldn't spend money on parts yet. It needs more Diag before then.

Hope this helps, and sorry if I have misspelled anything. If other members have problems with what I said please contact me by Pm so we can keep on topic.
    voted best e36M section member 2006!
    ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My Cars
    2006 ZHP Coupe, '00 986S

You rock! I believe it is a vacum leak. I don't have any numbers yet but the car will whistle randomly but usually in gear and under load. I think the little cannister thingy (nice technical speak) under the intake manifold is not in correctly. Something is stopping it from pushing all the way in. I had them reset the CEL and will get it in better as well as look for other possible leaks.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    99 M3
    gregg grab a can of carb cleaner.. while the car is started spray around where you think the vac leak is... if the idle changes then you have a vac leak. Easiest way to find it

do you remember the pcodes? how many miles are on the car? it sounds like a vac leak but could be O2s if not. I had to replace mine around 95k

My Cars
    99 M3-92 Mtech2-Cummins
    Quote Originally Posted by m3outtanowhere View Post
    Not only are you elitist.. but misinformed

The E36 is prone to issues such as this. it is not the car that the E30 was.. never will be. BMWs have been declining in quality since the E36 debut.

I'm sorry that you have problems with ford. i never have.

current = '99 Estoril/Mulberry M3 Coupe :: past = '97 Alpine/Anthrazit M3 Coupe

My Cars
    88M3,95M3,04M3-LSB E39M5
    Quote Originally Posted by M3BimmerBilly View Post
    you know you can get 4 wire Bosch o2s from ebay that work. You just need to splice into the old pigtails. They are only like $35/ea
    where do you get these? and is there a write up? i need new O2 sensors mine have 141K on them ( I guess, i didnt change them nd the guy before me didnt either)....wow.

My Cars
    95 M3/11 WRX/07 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgtho is back View Post
    Not only are you elitist.. but misinformed

The E36 is prone to issues such as this. it is not the car that the E30 was.. never will be. BMWs have been declining in quality since the E36 debut.

I'm sorry that you have problems with ford. i never have.

My Cars
    C63 AMG 507 Edition
    Poor gregg, first everyone beats it to his wife on bf.c, now his car is broken again!

lol j/p

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by hinzm3 View Post
    gregg grab a can of carb cleaner.. while the car is started spray around where you think the vac leak is... if the idle changes then you have a vac leak. Easiest way to find it

do you remember the pcodes? how many miles are on the car? it sounds like a vac leak but could be O2s if not. I had to replace mine around 95k
    That does work, but using carb cleaner may cause fires.

My Cars
    99 M3
    That does work, but using carb cleaner may cause fires.
    haha really? I guess you're right it could since its flammable. I usually just spray it here and there instead of "soaking" it down. Will be a little more careful next time

My Cars
    95 M3
    Check to see if the precat O2 sensor wires are crossed. The the bank 1 sensor would be plugged into the bank 2 connector and the opposite. Does you car run badly?

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
    voted best e36M section member 2006!
    Thats for the vote, but really I just wanted to help out a fellow member. Before making him waste some money.

Gregg keep us posted.

My Cars
    94 M353is
    yeah, what drifter said is pretty much dead on. and none of us can really do anything for you with out a good description of the symptoms. check for vac leaks, and if not that, it will be either the fuel system or the 02 sensors.

dont freak about the o2s. you will only need to replace 2, if any. and you will be better off doing what another member said and getting the bosch heated universal sensors. they are half the price and all you have to do is solder the connector off the old o2.

i see no problem using carb cleaner.... that side of the engine is not hot, and when checking for vac leaks, you do it when its cold anyways. now, starter fluid is a bit more volatile, so i would def be more careful using that. but carb cleaner should be fine.g/l!

My Cars
    2006 ZHP Coupe, '00 986S
    Well after the job thing today the car is gonna sit for a while.

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    Well after the job thing today the car is gonna sit for a while.
    Just Fyi letting a M3 sit is a bad idea. I let mine sit for 4 months and my master cylinder went on me. I belive the car gets mad and breaks more things.

My Cars
    2006 ZHP Coupe, '00 986S
    Just Fyi letting a M3 sit is a bad idea. I let mine sit for 4 months and my master cylinder went on me. I belive the car gets mad and breaks more things.
    I am just not in any mood to deal with it right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast