Thread: e39 electrical problems

My Cars
    97 540i

e39 electrical problems

Hi new member here. I've had my 97540i for 2 years now and I love it! It's my 2nd 5 (88 528e) and of course I've had electrical problems. So I need your help on a couple.
    1) my air bag light has come on and has disabled all of the controls on my steering wheel. It resets sometimes but, contiues to come back.
    2) The background lighting on my nav screen keeps going out and I have a feeling something is loose behind the dash but, I want to make sure before I take everything apart.
    3) My nav computer is shot according to the dealership and I got another on ebay. They said it was a straight plug in, they were wrong so Im wondering where I can get infor on a harness to go from a markI to a mark II nav. computer. Thanks for the knowledge guys.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    The airbag issues are probably best handled by the dealer, even if you replace whatevers wrong they still have to reset the light- or you can ge the peake airbag tool.

2) the inverter for the backlight may be going bad, if the rest of the units lights are ok but just the screen is going dark I wouldn't think it was a loose connection but it doesn't hurt to see.
    3) I dunno about that one...

My Cars
    97 540i
    Yeah I talked to my repair man about the issues and he said he was not sure about any of them either so, it looks like I will be making his christmas alot better. Thanks

My Cars
    535e39,540e34

E39 electrical problems

I had the same problem
    you have three things to check :
    1) the flat spiral ( 5 or 6 wires ) rolled in the plastic box behind the wheel.
    2) the neiman switch
    3) the crimping of connectors ending the harness near the neiman switch . that was the problem BM people discovered after replacing the two former things whithout curing the problem ...
    remember :
    electronic diagnosis tool tells exactly the same thing for the three above points , so be patient !!!
    disconnecting airbag is not difficult but ... could be harmful if improperly done - main danger could be static electricty .