Thread: no start issue..........

My Cars
    '91 318is red and white. '86 325 E resto project

no start issue..........

Well , to be a little more accurate, i have a no run issue......

While driving the other day , the car ( 1986 325 E) shut off for no reason.

i coasted my dads house which was thankfully right up the road. the car will

turn over , and start , but as soon as i release the key to the run position , it

sputters for a second then turns off. if i hold the key in the start

position , it will continue to run. all fuses are fine .

Im not sure if this is a relay problem , or if it is just a faulty ignition switch.

the switch appears to be the culprit , but id hate to replace that , and it be

a relay instead.

anyone have any ideas?

it has shown no problems up till this point, other than the usual symptoms of

being 20 years old .

My Cars
    bump.

i need to get it outta my pops yard soon!
    id like to do it under its own powah

My Cars
    135i
    Check for vacuum leaks. I discovered a major one (i.e. a hose not even connected on one end!) which made it so my car would barely start/idle when the engine was warm (but not when it was cold--weird). Definitely check for leaking hoses and gaskets. Also check the idle control valve, fuel injectors, and fuses/relays.
    E82 135i: Alpine white on black leather; ZSP; ZCW; iPod/USB
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

My Cars
    i checked all my vaccum connections, none are leaking to the best of my knowledge ,do you know of which relays i could check for failure? i cant think of what it could be , it will run as long as you keep cranking it , but as soon as you release the key to the "run " position IE: not cranking , it shuts off. i wouldnt think it would be a fuel pump , becusetheen it wouldnt run at all , and i dont see why anything would fail by just going downthe road.....

its got me stumped
    if any of you know of the location of any relays which may cause this i could switch them out with the 318's relays.