Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Typical E46 Problems?

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=879887

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerNell View Post
    jflip, check around for some posts, some very recent, by danewilson77. He's got a list of all the repairs he's done on his e46, for just such questions as yours. Or pm him and ask. He's got the thing saved on his hard drive 'cause he was being asked about it so much. It's really comprehensive.
    Dude, jflip posted this in 2006... This is a thread that is used in the "helpful hints" section of E46. So just add something.... srs.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=879887
    -///Mike ///Michael ///Mikey

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    bmw
    I made a list of all the common maintenance items and go-wrong parts on the e46. It has part numbers included and the lot, enjoy. I have replaced most all of these items except for the fuel pump, alternator and CPS. No lie, lol.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=718132

Currently I do not have Xi parts listed and that's its downfall, oh well
    Last edited by neil1138; 11-12-2009 at 12:42 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
    I made a list of all the common maintenance items and go-wrong parts on the e46. It has part numbers included and the lot, enjoy. I have replaced most all of these items except for the fuel pump, alternator and CPS. No lie, lol.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=718132

Currently I do not have Xi parts listed and that's its downfall, oh well

Thanks alot neil, great help.

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    bmw
    Thanks!

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    A little too much info... (i understand it was for p/n and pricing) and some of that stuff I've never had to replace within both my vehicles at 150k... But none the less I can easily see some of that stuff needing replacing at higher mileage... and some people are going to be searching on the forums here for near 200k cars now...

I've never had issues with...

Rear axles, rear main seal, DISA/ICV (although my idle has been acting up lately) , fifth gear sticky, or anything involving my trans. (manual) aside from my clutch and flywheel needing replacing soon...

But theres still a lot of stuff missing, so People please chime in and make your additions to items you've had to replace during your ownership.

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by slvrXI View Post
    A little too much info... (i understand it was for p/n and pricing) and some of that stuff I've never had to replace within both my vehicles at 150k... But none the less I can easily see some of that stuff needing replacing at higher mileage... and some people are going to be searching on the forums here for near 200k cars now...

I've never had issues with...

Rear axles, rear main seal, DISA/ICV (although my idle has been acting up lately) , fifth gear sticky, or anything involving my trans. (manual) aside from my clutch and flywheel needing replacing soon...

But theres still a lot of stuff missing, so People please chime in and make your additions to items you've had to replace during your ownership.
    Yeah I kinda included any and everything that could possibly go wrong. CV joints go bad eventually, just a wear item. Rear main is really common, surprised you've never run into that. I know I replaced mine when I did the manual swap at 130k.

Leaky rear main:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/l...p/DSC00925.jpg

DISA/ICV are really common as well. The fifth gear sticky, man you havent had to replace the bearing liners before? I did mine before i put the tranny in. They are really common on E36s and early e46s share the exact same transmission. Some tranny linkage parts wear but I just kinda included everything

I thought I covered everything, what do you think is missing? I shall add it in the thread

EDIT: Maybe I got you are saying. I mean I wasnt going to add things like subframe tears and vanos seals because you cant buy parts for those through the dealer. But things you can buy and replace I included
    Last edited by neil1138; 11-12-2009 at 01:28 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    lol front cv axle boots(xi). final stage unit for climate control, Tie rod ends, noreverse.org, idler pulley

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    bmw
    Ah, Xi parts hehe. When I have time I'll go back through and check the Xi part numbers and add those

Final stage, jeez fack me, it didn't even cross my mind. Thanks!

Tie rods, I looked at those and considered them but I decided against it as I have never seen them be replaced. But it's all in good practice, I shall add them

no reverse, lol.

idler pulley, sheesh I'm on a roll for being an idiot. I shall add it as well, thank you my friend!

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Nooo you're not an idiot. I had to really scratch my head and look through your thread to think of those. I thought I could think of maybe like 7, but I only came up with a few. haha. I know theres more out there, just drawing a blank. Obviously spark plugs, did you get window regulators? And also Oil level sensor. I see that quite often, in fact my ci has the oil light on every time i start her up... But I know theres oil in there, so I have been putting that one off.

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    2009 128i
    DOH! I should pay better attention. Oh well.

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Also Neil, did you have camshaft position sensors on that list? Just did that one today.

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Ok.....everything in my corrective maintenance section below....would/could pose a problem for you and this car in the future....

Look into/ask the question on weather or not the coolant system has been overhauled....the last time brakes were done.....what about CAB's and RTAB's.....check all window's (including the sunroof...ffs....for smooth operation)....check the subframe for cracks......look for any type of oil residue on the block (take a flashlight with you)....Ask to see any/all maintenance records....ensure you operate the AC/Heat, and listen for abnormal sounds.....take the car up to a high rate of speed and note any irregular vibration.....check all lights.......drink a beer....ask him what kind of oil was used for the oil changes....drink another beer when you get the answer.....

Also....much info can be gained at http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...ook_out_for.3F

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
    $2000.00 per year...which includes planned corrective maintenance, preventative maintenance, and desired mods.

Fluids at 100k.....radiator flush, diff fluid change, and transmission (read up on first though).
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
    Here’s my list: @ 125k now

Corrective Manintenance
    ~Blower motor resistor.
    ~Intake Camshaft Position Sensor.
    ~Intake leak.
    ~Rear passenger door window regulator..
    ~Cleaned Idle Control Valve.
    ~VANOS rebuild.
    ~Interior pillar felt repair.
    ~Battery replacement.
    ~I have replaced every light bulb on the car at some point.
    ~Working to correct SRS Airbag code. Tool was $200.00 and is included in the below money number.

Probably about $700.00 worth of corrective maintenance...so far.
    Other than that, just standard maintenance items like:

~ 18" Enkei's w/Khumo ASX's.
    ~ DDMTuning Coilovers
    ~ Black kidneys.
    ~ CF hood/trunk roundels.
    ~ Smokes.
    ~ Bavauto license frames.
    ~ M-Style Lip.
    ~ Debadged.
    ~ VANOS rebuild-Done.
    ~ GPS Mount.
    ~ Black exhaust tips.

Probably $2800.00 in mods so far.
    j/k...maintenance items

~Oil Filter.
    ~Air filter.
    ~Plugs.
    ~In cabin filter.
    ~Brake pads once.

I budget about $750.00 for routine maintenance per year.
    Planned:
    ~In February - Brakes / Rotors. Probably do a kit from ECS Tuning.
    ~I've not had to do anything with the cooling system, but this will be overhauled soon.
    ~In addition to that, I will be replacing the tensioner pulleys (to mitigate any cooling problems).
    ~I still need to replace my oil pan trap door (because I am a perfectionist).
    ~After that I plan to do CAB's and RTAB's.
    ~Then my car will be all done, and I can give it away.....
    So…$750.00 (routine maint.) + $750.00 (corrective maint.) + $700.00 (mods) = $2200.00
    Again, these are sweet rides but your going to have to diy some stuff...lots of help here to save you money on maintenance.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    bmw
    Nooo you're not an idiot. I had to really scratch my head and look through your thread to think of those. I thought I could think of maybe like 7, but I only came up with a few. haha. I know theres more out there, just drawing a blank. Obviously spark plugs, did you get window regulators? And also Oil level sensor. I see that quite often, in fact my ci has the oil light on every time i start her up... But I know theres oil in there, so I have been putting that one off.
    Yeah I put the NGKs up there, I've got both kinds of regulators and yup, couldn't forget the oil level sensor.

Also Neil, did you have camshaft position sensors on that list? Just did that one today.
    Of course my friend, couldn't forget that one.

ooh cool. Christmas smilies

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    AWESOME!!!

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    wut?

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Did we have oil level sensor yet?? If the yellow oil light is on after start up and stays on for about 10 seconds, then the level sensor needs to be replaced.

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    325xi, 240sx SR20DET
    i did my expansion tank today, i changed a thorn CV boot last week but it seems i need to replace an axle(going to do both), i need to replace a tie rod (due to a hole in the road) and maybe engine or tranny supports? the car vibrates when stopped in gear.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Doublepost
    Last edited by danewilson77; 11-26-2009 at 01:11 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    DANE!! You reposted that. It's about 5 posts up... wth mate?

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    DANE!! You reposted that. It's about 5 posts up... wth mate?
    Yeah, I don't know what happened......I thought I was responding to a new post......nice catch

lol

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive Coupe
    2001 325xi 63,500 so far:

-All four vapor barriers
    -Window regulator
    -Rear Coil Springs
    -Coolant expansion tank
    -Alternator
    -Issues with Control arm bushings
    -Heated seats draw too much energy causing lights to flicker

Things that still need to be replaced:
    -Vanos Hose
    -Power Steering hoses
    -Stabilizer bar
    -Oil cover gasket
    -Now I'm having transmission issues... squeaking from first to second gear
    -Humming/ whining during initial acceleration

I love the car, it rides great, but its a handful of problems

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Why bump an old dead thread?

My Cars
    2002 330i BSM
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerDee View Post
    Why bump an old dead thread?
    Because Join Date: Oct 2011.
    Cunninlynguists. Because real hip hop.

My Cars
    2000 328ci. 1989 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzah blade View Post
    VANOS seals worn out, replaced with Beisan seals, fixed bogging, cold start-up idle issues, and overall performance!!
    +1 I got a lot more work to do.

My Cars
    94' 325I, 01 X5
    Don't forget the intake boot gets a hole in it that you can't see. If you hear a whistling sound when you give it gas, look at your intake rubber boot. I had that sound and couldn't figure it out till i read something on here about it. O put my hand around it and could put 3 fingers in the hole that was in mine....lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast