Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Typical E46 Problems?

My Cars
    F30, E46, E30

Any Typical E46 Problems?

Ok, so Im going to get an 01 330i tomorrow, if all goes well with the credit. But before all of this, I was just wondering if there are any problems that E46s are prone to? I know with my TI, its had major cooling problems, but my E30 was absolutely terriffic. I only like BMWs, and thats all Ill ever really want to own, and especially make payments on. But I dont want to get into a big mess with this car. I have read some things online, and havent heard anything negative. But you are real bmw people, unlike some of these articles, that study them for a short amount of time, and judge them.

Let me know asap please!

Thanks in advance, Joe
    -Joe
    Pismo Beach, CA

My Cars
    2001 330i, 2011 Z435i
    The current issue of Bimmer magazine has a comprehensive E46 buyer's guide. The most common issues:

Window regulator problems - Fully raise and lower all windows and listen for clicking sounds that indicate that regulator is about to go. There are a few online how-tos that seem to permanently fix this with a zip tie.

Moonroof sun shade - Clips or the cassette break and the shade will skew a bit when you try to close it.

Rear subframe tearing - Rare, but major enough that you should look for it especially since it's pretty easy to spot. Cracks or tears can be seen under the rear carpet and spare tire cover, just in front of the spare tire well. Pics here: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ry_e46sf.shtml If you don't plan to extensively track the car this shouldn't scare you away from E46s.

The '01s have the overboosted steering. I have an '01 330i with that overboosted steering, and while I'd love to have the heavier steering it isn't like you're driving a Buick, it still has better road feel than most other cars on the road.

If you get lucky like I did when I bought mine a few months ago you might still have some CPO warranty left on it. I used mine to replace all 4 window regulators and the moonroof shade. Look for the "tracing service records by vin" thread to get your car's complete service and warranty history.

I got into my 330i from an 88 325iS and I absolutely love this car.

My Cars
    F30, E46, E30
    If all the regulators go bad, and the sunroof.... I will be ok with that. My TI has a 2nd blown head gasket I think, due to a 2nd faulty thermostat.

I can live with the cosmetics, I just dont want to be screwed mechanically.
    -Joe
    Pismo Beach, CA

My Cars
    2001 330i, 2011 Z435i
    Mechanically I don't think there are any common issues... Rear trailing arm bushings need replacement quicker than you might expect and some cooling system parts like the reservoir and the water pump go out on the usual BMW schedule, but I don't think there's anything specific to the E46 that you need to worry about.

My Cars
    2001 bmw 330
    Just bought my first bmw 4 weeks ago '01 330i. I just love the car, but i got really nervous when the engine light went on last week. I plugged my odb2 scanner and it gave me a couple of codes. I had to replace both my exhaust and intake sensors... there both $100s each... i installed them myself.. not too difficult... only issue ive had so far...

My Cars
    F30, E46, E30
    What about the steptronic or triptronic, whatever bmw calls it. Does that have problems commonly. Its not a manual, but at least its not auto! =\
    -Joe
    Pismo Beach, CA

My Cars
    2001 330i, 2011 Z435i
    It's not as reliable as the manual, but it's not exactly a ticking timebomb. It is an auto though, it just has an easier built-in way to get a little control over the shifting points...

My Cars
    F30, E46, E30
    Anyone with a carfax?

VIN: WBAAV534X1JS92041
    -Joe
    Pismo Beach, CA

My Cars
    '01 325 Ci
    I just bought my 01 325Ci (68K), and love it. The styling of this yr group is my favorite of all 3 series. I have had no issues so far and love driving it. Since I have never owned a BWM before, I cannot compare the stearing, except it handles better than any other car I have driven, even my wife's 06 mustang. I did do a pan drop and filter change on the trans. just for peace of mind. I joined this forum and e46fanatics to stay up with all the info from people who have been bmw owners for decades.
    long story, sounds like you have a good deal, good luck..

My Cars
    bmw 323ci
    Quote Originally Posted by jflip2002 View Post
    Ok, so Im going to get an 01 330i tomorrow, if all goes well with the credit. But before all of this, I was just wondering if there are any problems that E46s are prone to? I know with my TI, its had major cooling problems, but my E30 was absolutely terriffic. I only like BMWs, and thats all Ill ever really want to own, and especially make payments on. But I dont want to get into a big mess with this car. I have read some things online, and havent heard anything negative. But you are real bmw people, unlike some of these articles, that study them for a short amount of time, and judge them.

Let me know asap please!

Thanks in advance, Joe
    as far as i know the window,sunroof track,oil lebel sensor,on coupe interior trim falls with the heat,thermostat sensor malfunction even if the car is not overheatting it shows that the sensor is bad,control arm bushings very comun,wheel bearings on sport suspentions and i almost forgot about this , the subframe is very weak my broke where the strap that holds the gas tank is, making the strap rub on the road and the gas tank hit the muffler, i had to remove carpet and i cut some metal plates with holes and added new bolts works good!
    Last edited by quirino18; 10-02-2006 at 10:24 PM.

My Cars
    07 bimmer
    On my wife's `01 325i, the final stage resistor which controls the Auto climate control went out during warranty. That's it. The windows are still fine after 5 years (52K miles). I still need to change the auto tranny fluid. It is a very reliable, fun, smooth car to drive.
    Stay in school...fishes do.

My Cars
    F30, E46, E30
    Does this look about right?

BMW Defect Code Lookup Results
    15 Defect Code(s) Found
    Code Found As Defect Description
    0024150100 E36/7 E46 E53 M54 Programming/replacing EGS control unit
    1214111500 Pulse generator, camshaft Permanent malfunction
    1153004800 Thermostat housing Leaking
    5133123900 Power window, front Unpleasant noises
    5135002900 Power window, rear Sticking/jammed
    1153121200 Characteristic map thermostat, heating Permanent failure
    1153121200 Characteristic map thermostat, heating Permanent failure
    34000077MP Brake Fluid Service
    85990092MP Inspection 1
    5135001300 Power window, rear Broken
    1153011400 Thermostat Occasional malfunction
    5133123900 Power window, front Unpleasant noises
    5412004000 541200XX SLIDE/DOUBLE SLIDE/GLASS SUNROOF (SHD)
    85990091MP Engine Oil Service (After 1st)
    5121014100 Front door lock striker Poorly adapted/fitted

Note: Items ending in MP or SP are maintenance plan items.
    -Joe
    Pismo Beach, CA

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i

Sunshade in CPO?

My dealer tells me that my CPO does not cover repair of sunshade. " I used mine to replace all 4 window regulators and the moonroof shade."

Please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    The current issue of Bimmer magazine has a comprehensive E46 buyer's guide. The most common issues:

If you get lucky like I did when I bought mine a few months ago you might still have some CPO warranty left on it. I used mine to replace all 4 window regulators and the moonroof shade. Look for the "tracing service records by vin" thread to get your car's complete service and warranty history.

I got into my 330i from an 88 325iS and I absolutely love this car

My Cars
    bmw 325i
    i would not buy a 2001. i have a 2001 325i. it seems to be a year of learning. if you dont believe me look at the posts. most are problems with the 2001's<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

My Cars
    2001 330i, 2011 Z435i
    Quote Originally Posted by pratik5705 View Post
    My dealer tells me that my CPO does not cover repair of sunshade. " I used mine to replace all 4 window regulators and the moonroof shade."

Please advise.
    Find another dealer... Some will try to avoid any warranty work they can while others are more helpful.

My Cars
    F10 535 M-Sport / E30
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    Find another dealer... Some will try to avoid any warranty work they can while others are more helpful.
    This is not necessarily true. CPO is not a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty, and as such does not cover every aspect of the car as the new vehicle warranty does.

My Cars
    2001 330i, 2011 Z435i
    Since my dealership did cover getting the jamming/crooked sunroof shade fixed I tend to think that where you go can make a big difference. Hell, I saw a post where a guy got his '01's overboosted steering retrofitted just last year for free by his dealership. That campaign was supposed to be for original owners and was only good for about a year but they did it anyway...

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330i zhp
    can someone help with a service history for this vin: WBAEV53442KM00361

Thanx in advance

My Cars
    '01 330ci, '66 R50/2
    Thanks for all the advice, all. Although, since I have a '95 325is, I am pretty sure about picking up my 330ci this week. But this post has rested my few concerns.

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    What are other common problems people... Seriously... Post them now.

Lets make this a game... Someone will post something that they consider to be a common problem... The next poster has to either say "+1" or "never happened to me" Then they have to add another thing that the consider to be a common problem. Lets make it easier for newer people to find answers to their questions without spamming up the board... I'll begin.

Check Engine like with "coolant temp too low" Happend to me twice already. Bought a new thermostat for under 50 bucks and the problem went away... NEXT!
    Last edited by slvrXI; 11-04-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -///Mike ///Michael ///Mikey

pwn noobs /thread

rayzah blade is offline your own personal Fonzie BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 E46, 1996 DB7
    VANOS seals worn out, replaced with Beisan seals, fixed bogging, cold start-up idle issues, and overall performance!!

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Haven't had the Vanos issues yet like everyone discusses... Heres another one tho...

Cracked Expansion tank for the coolant. It developed a small crack just before 100k miles.

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    bmw 325i
    oil sensor f*** up had to replace. 75k

power steering, altornator, waterpump BELT ripped freeway 80k.

valve cover gasket leaking 95k

expansion coolant broke twice at 76k and 87k.. idk why..lol

window regulator passenger broke (zip tied! fix) 65k

Control arm bushing need replacing 98k (on to do list*)

AND HOPEFULLY THATS ALL I HAVE TO FIX ... but im almost at 100k so idk.. :/

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Thankyou for your common problems!! Anyone else... Please post em! This thread is in the "Helpful Threads" section, and I think it would help new members if we all posted more in here.!!

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    2009 128i
    jflip, check around for some posts, some very recent, by danewilson77. He's got a list of all the repairs he's done on his e46, for just such questions as yours. Or pm him and ask. He's got the thing saved on his hard drive 'cause he was being asked about it so much. It's really comprehensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast