Thread: Independant repair shop

My Cars
    07 bimmer

Independant repair shop

I took the car to one to get the driverside rear wheel bearing replaced. 2 hours later he calls me tells me that the hub might get damaged in the process. I asked him how much. And he says $175 used.... $300 for new. Bull $hit! I checked and list is less than $80. He said he will try not to damage it but no guarantees. Will it break? I understand it is stuck but can't they take it out in one piece? He said he will use heat.

My Cars
    89 325is - 91 318ic
    Happend to me too, had the rear bearing pressed only to have it fail a week later. After having the job redone by a diffrent shop they showed me where the bearing its self had been damaged during instalation (tech error), over a year now on the new bearing and no problems. They usually say "It might get damaged so they can cover there a$$e$.

My Cars
    an imaginary E30
    Well tell them if they do damage it they'll be liable for replacement.

Also tell them if they can't do it properly don't do it at all.

My Cars
    E30 Cab, too many other E30's, Denali, GSXR
    Being a previous BMW tech and currently owing my own european shop, I have replace many Rear wheel bearings on e30's. I have never damaged a hub while removing with proper tools. If he does manage to destroy the hub, buy your own part and supply it to them.

Caution:
    BMP Rear bumper after 16+ hours of custom fiberglass work for proper fit. Do not buy under the belief that this is even close to a bolt on part.
    Motorsport Roundels and GraphX

My Cars
    07 bimmer
    Good news. They didn't damage any parts! I will pick up the car tomorrow. I hope the wheel bearing will last unlike the person on this board whose bearing failed after one year. Next time when I need a rear bearing replaced, I am taking the trailing arm off and taking it to a machine shop.

My Cars
    '91 318iS
    I think I killed my front bearing during a sharp stop (not sure yet, gonna check a few other things) but is it possible to buy JUSt the bearing becuase I always see it sold with the HUB for $80... if I can do just the bearing and it's cheaper that would be great.

Eh?

My Cars
    07 bimmer
    the front bearing is preassembled with the hub. That's how they come from the factory and you cannot just buy front bearings. I know it is more expensive than the rear bearings (only $30 each). But it must make the job much easier.

My Cars
    135i
    Good independent repair shops are so much better than any dealer, both in their efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
    E82 135i: Alpine white on black leather; ZSP; ZCW; iPod/USB
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i