Thread: Tail light failure... please read

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Tail light failure... please read

After picking my car up from the shop (FINALLY) and i noticed something as i was driving home---- tail light failure. Its not the bulbs or the bulb holders, i tryed the working ones from the other side and they did not work. Any ideas? Also, which fuse controls the windows popping up and down when u open and close the doors?

Thanx,
    Josh
    96 Lux M3 ~RIP~
    95 Lux M3- Purple people eater!!!!!

My Cars
    911 Turbo
    My OBC is showing a brake light failure and I have checked and verified that all my lights are working. The really odd thing is that it only triggers when I have the running or headlights on. Otherwise I can drive around, depress the brake and nothing.

Anyone ever seen this one?
    Rob - '88 400hp/tq Porsche 930
    Former Objects of Obsession: '91 Acura NSX, '90 Porsche C2 Cab, '98 BMW M3/4, '86 Porsche 944
    "There are leaders and there are followers... life really is simple isn't it?"

My Cars
    ///M3
    Mine do this also... but with mine, it only displays the message if I'm going really fast...and than break suddenly...
    isn't this a common problem with M3s? (95's)

It shuts off when I restart the car...
    I'm not really worried about it...because I'm expected to get new taillights soon... i'll see if it does the same thing with those

My Cars
    911 Turbo
    Mine comes on every time I turn my headlights on. I guess I should check the rear running light contacts.
    Rob - '88 400hp/tq Porsche 930
    Former Objects of Obsession: '91 Acura NSX, '90 Porsche C2 Cab, '98 BMW M3/4, '86 Porsche 944
    "There are leaders and there are followers... life really is simple isn't it?"

My Cars
    E36 & E38
    You should clean all your contacts on the bulbs, bulb holders, and housings. If that doesn't work you should replace your brake light circuit that's up behind your brake pedal. I think it's like a $30 part from the Stealer and about a half hour install...Hope this helps!
    '96 328is 27K Original Miles & $27K in Mods '00 750il Sport 5.4L V12 w/ every factory option including Protection Package!!!

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    i have a 97 m3 and i have the same message pop up frequently, mine also occurs when i drive fast and break hard. i had it checked out and my mechanic told me that it is common in 92-99 bmws. to just ignore it. hey guys who are reading this: my check engine light comes on some time out of nowhere and turns off before i can take it to a mechanic. does anyone have the problem?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    my car does this as well after I installed the euro clears. all the lights work fine though! I am not sure if its just coincidence or the euro clears causing it, but they have the plug in for the check control. its weird, but I think I can live with it (unless someone has a suggestion?) thanks!

My Cars
    98 M3/2
    I have heard that some non OEM clears will cause a tailight failure on the obc. There is not much you can do about it besides live with it or get some oem clears.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Originally posted by SDKCM3
    I have heard that some non OEM clears will cause a tailight failure on the obc. There is not much you can do about it besides live with it or get some oem clears.
    that is correct. many drivers purchase the non-oe clears not realizing the problem they are about to incur. many non-oe clears do not have the proper check control circuitry so you'll get that warning everytime you turn on your (tail) lights.

A brake circuit failure is common on all E36's (but I heard they really screwed up the '95 M3's j/k). It's a switch that becomes defective and is located by your brake pedal. It costs a few dollars for the part and is easily repaired as a DIY job.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

Taillight failure

Guys, what the best way to clean the tailight contacts ?

Thanks
    1994 325IS factory Mtechnic
    Alpine White, 1/150 Manufactured
    Metal Masters brake pads
    Bavarian Autosports ADS 10 inch subwoofer and amp
    motorsports rims
    more mods to come

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    fine sand paper.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    This should give you a pretty good idea how to change the switch. It's pretty easy and just destroy the old one with some pliers to get it out.

Brake Switch
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    M3, S4

Yup

I have the same problem after I upgraded to my smoked tails. I live with it.

98 M3/4
    In Progress...

01 X5 4.6is
    When I need more...

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Originally posted by themadhatter
    that is correct. many drivers purchase the non-oe clears not realizing the problem they are about to incur. many non-oe clears do not have the proper check control circuitry so you'll get that warning everytime you turn on your (tail) lights.

A brake circuit failure is common on all E36's (but I heard they really screwed up the '95 M3's j/k). It's a switch that becomes defective and is located by your brake pedal. It costs a few dollars for the part and is easily repaired as a DIY job.

My euro clears are from circleBMW so they are not the cheap sh**, but rather OE (or is it OEM?). I guess I will try to replace the brake switch. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Originally posted by themadhatter
    fine sand paper.
    Problem with most sand paper is that it scratches the surface too much, which reduces the contact area and allows oxidation and corrosion to start.

On a really badly corroded contact, I may use some 1200 grit sandpaper. But that's on something really bad. On most contacts, about the most abrasive stuff that I use is a pink pencil eraser. Follow that with a squirt of contact cleaner (you can find this at electronic stores or Radio Shack), and the contact should be clean. Give it a dab of dielectric grease to keep out the air, which keeps the connection from oxidizing, and you should be set.

Jim

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Originally posted by Jim O.
    Problem with most sand paper is that it scratches the surface too much, which reduces the contact area and allows oxidation and corrosion to start.

On a really badly corroded contact, I may use some 1200 grit sandpaper. But that's on something really bad. On most contacts, about the most abrasive stuff that I use is a pink pencil eraser. Follow that with a squirt of contact cleaner (you can find this at electronic stores or Radio Shack), and the contact should be clean. Give it a dab of dielectric grease to keep out the air, which keeps the connection from oxidizing, and you should be set.

Jim
    Jim, I've also had very good luck with a sand blaster after the contacts on one of my foglights was all fouled up.

My Cars
    '02 Subie WRX Wagon
    Hey Today I took off the actual check control "circuit" board of a leaking stock left tail light I had laying around..it's a fairly simple looking design...and fairly simple to take apart..jst unscrew the for bolts you screw the lemse onto the car with(10mm wrench) and stick your figer inthe socket closest to the plug. There's a clip there that you can CAREFULLY unclip to release the circuit board. You can cclean the connections this way if you'd like...or if it's broken or corroded through, instead of buying a whole new one...find a cracked tail light and just swithc the boards. BTW I have a left board if you need it..it's off a sedan..I don't know if the boards are the different for sedans and coupes as the lenses are...Good luck.
    .....you say "sandwich."
    Anson HAD a '97 M3/4a Cosmos/black w/ some good stuffs......He also HAD a '04 Pontiac GTO (Goat) Quicksilver/black w/ Lingenfelter CAI....Now he has a '02 Subie WRX wagon....stuffs on the way

My Cars
    M3, S4

Check control circuit

Originally posted by Drea///M3
    Hey Today I took off the actual check control "circuit" board of a leaking stock left tail light I had laying around..it's a fairly simple looking design...and fairly simple to take apart..jst unscrew the for bolts you screw the lemse onto the car with(10mm wrench) and stick your figer inthe socket closest to the plug. There's a clip there that you can CAREFULLY unclip to release the circuit board. You can cclean the connections this way if you'd like...or if it's broken or corroded through, instead of buying a whole new one...find a cracked tail light and just swithc the boards. BTW I have a left board if you need it..it's off a sedan..I don't know if the boards are the different for sedans and coupes as the lenses are...Good luck.
    Are the Left and Right boards different? I think my Right one is defective...

98 M3/4
    In Progress...

01 X5 4.6is
    When I need more...

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    My light came far less after I jiggled the connection on the brake light switch (by brake pedal). Maybe the problem lies in the actual plug to the switch?
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

My Cars
    '02 Subie WRX Wagon
    Yes I believe so, because the left one I have has an "L" on it. Sorry.

Maybe the boards are interchangeable between aftermarket and stock ones..so if you're aftermarket one is not working right, you can find a stock one with cracked lense and swap them...Just an idea.