Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E39 Aux Fan Service - READ ON

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by 300kplus View Post
    Replacing the whole aux fan assembly tomorrow on my 98 e39. I'll let you know how it goes. The housing was shot couldn't save it. I think it may be original so pretty lucky it lasted this long 320k (+) And if it wasn't, I got the car when it had 295k in May of 09 so...
    Will follow up.
    320k? Wow!
    Good luck with your repair!
    BMW CCA 434493

My Cars
    2008 328I
    Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't put a new motor in with an old fan, my motor runs fine but
    after so many heating cooling cycles the plastic fan became brittle and exploded. I ordered a complete assembly on Amazon for $140 shipped, I'll be attempting to put in in today, wish me luck.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    I have been following this thread for some time. My aux fan will randomly come on sometimes when the engine is cold and just started. There seems to be no reason. I am assuming it is a sensor and not the fan but there are no check engine lights triggered. Most of the time when it happens I don't worry since it really isn't hurting anything.

Well the last two nights I start up the car after sitting all day at work and the fan fires up and runs at full speed for at least 10 minutes. I have the HVAC control off and it is 0 outside. So now the car will take a little longer to warm up.

My brilliant fix is to find the relay for the aux fan and pull it out. The in spring trace all the feeds into the fan to see if it is a sensor or the actual fan. I really think mine is sensor related since it is so random.

Thanks for the excellent thread and I will report back in spring when it is warm enough to actually work on the car.
    Keitho64
    06 GTO 6-Speed
    03 BMW 530 Sport 5-speed
    69 911T RS30 Clone
    64 Corvair Monza

My Cars
    2000 528i
    Someone from my office just came in and told me my car was making noise. Well I walked out and my aux fan was running full tilt and car not on?? I pulled the battery cable till I could come in a research. I've not had a lot time since I'm at work, but has anyone ever had this happen?

its 2000 528 with 152k

My Cars
    98 528i
    Can anyone tell me the values of the resistors? I only found one at .2 ohm 80w. Are both of them the same? Thanks

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    I parked last night and got out of my car.
    I heard this loud whirring from the front of the car.
    I thought it might be a neighbor's air conditioning.

I walk to the front of the car, and it was this loud fan whirring inside my front grille.
    This is the first time in 2 years I've owned the car where I noticed an electric fan was still running after I exited the car.
    Again, this has never happened before. Normally, when I turn off the car, everything is OFF.
    It was only 80 degrees out, and the car was not overheating.

I thought maybe something shorted and it would drain the battery.
    I came back outside 30 mins later, and luckily it was off.
    Today, when I parked, the car was silent, like usual.

So, which is the proper behavior?
    The fan never staying on after you park,
    or the fan always still running after you park?

How do I fix this?
    It seems like most people's problem is the fan stops turning on.
    Mine may be the opposite.

My Cars
    97 540i6/850R Turbo
    So many good questions asked on this thread.I resurected it to compile them.
    1) on 97/98 with resistor packs,should the fan go on as soon as a/c is turned on?
    2)does the 97/98 do the 20second low speed aux fan test on start up.OR is that only 99 and up?It makes sense it being 99 n up,cuase the computer is testing it.
    3) what are the values of the resistors? I found this one, its 0.20 OHM 80watts
    4)Is there any shortcut to removing this fan?
    5) What is the normal action of the fan,when car is off,and why?
    6) Is it normal for the Fan speed and/or A/C to slow down or not work while you stop at a light,then blow fast again as you drive and colder again as you drive?Windshield wipers do this,so my assumption is that it is normal?
    7) Is it possible to just remove the bumper cover as someone earlier posted MINI instructions?
    1997 540i/6
    Glacier Green

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525iT
    Bump.

My aux fan is running intermittently w/ the AC on. It attempts to spin at different intervals, but only makes jerky movements before coming to a stop. I've checked the fuses and they look OK (and since the fan is moving, I guess I could eliminate the fuse being the culprit).

My A/C only gets cold when the car's in motion. Ice cold actually. I've checked the freon levels and it's good.

Based on everything I've read in this thread, it looks like it could be the resistor or the motor. Anyone know a place where we can pick up the motor for a decent price? That $82 motor from Autozone is no longer available.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - if the temp sensor goes bad, does it throw a CEL code? I want to make sure it's not the temp sensor before purchasing the motor and resistor repair kit.

My Cars
    97 540i6/850R Turbo
    theres 3 temp sensors. the one you can check ez is on the side of the radiator. its the one that powers the fan.
    your case is a dead motor!!
    to be positive put 12v to the blue/blue striped thick wire and ground the brown/on the male pin side.That bypasses the resistors to high speed.
    the harness is 4 pin tucked to the left of the plastic kidney shapw grill in front of fan.
    AMAZON you can get a tiy 30365 fan assembly under 200,they are made as well if not better than oem. imo
    1997 540i/6
    Glacier Green

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525iT
    I replaced the entire fan assembly and it now works like a charm.

Side note: I have the 2001 525iT and did not see any resistors on the new or old assembly. I guess it varies depending on which MY you have.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dannydoo View Post
    theres 3 temp sensors. the one you can check ez is on the side of the radiator. its the one that powers the fan.
    your case is a dead motor!!
    to be positive put 12v to the blue/blue striped thick wire and ground the brown/on the male pin side.That bypasses the resistors to high speed.
    the harness is 4 pin tucked to the left of the plastic kidney shapw grill in front of fan.
    AMAZON you can get a tiy 30365 fan assembly under 200,they are made as well if not better than oem. imo
    do you have a link? searching amazon and can't find nothing. only this: http://www.amazon.com/TYC-611240-Rep...8Z6WD49H2JGNG3
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    2001 Bmw 525it
    2001 525iT The Auxiliary fan is running at low speed, but the high speed is not coming on. Fuse 75 is good. I can't locate a fan relay. The ebox under the air intake only has 2 relays, salmon and brown, where some diagrams show more in that area. Do I have a relay? Do I move to checking the temp sensor in the radiator hose?

My Cars
    99 GSX, 2001 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by greggo151 View Post
    2001 525iT The Auxiliary fan is running at low speed, but the high speed is not coming on. Fuse 75 is good. I can't locate a fan relay. The ebox under the air intake only has 2 relays, salmon and brown, where some diagrams show more in that area. Do I have a relay? Do I move to checking the temp sensor in the radiator hose?

If your E39 was made after 9/1998, you do NOT have resistors. It could be a faulty temp sensor, or you may have to replace then entire aux fan unit. I am going through this process now. I am purchasing a temp sensor first to see if that fixes the issue before i drop $300 on a new aux fan unit. After spirited driving my aux fan was not moving at all. I will post again once i switch sensors out.
    2001 BMW 525i - Eibach Springs - OEM M5 Wheels - Black on Black

My Cars
    e39
    I have 98 528i (04/98)
    My aux fan does not turn on at start up nor when the a/c is on. My ac only blows cold when the car is moving. The fan only comes on at it’s highest speed when at a stand still if the engines starts to warm up. Do I need to replace the entire auxiliary fan?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Have you replaced the sensor in the lower radiator hose? This was the cause of all my aux fan problems. It is a very easy swap and I did it without removing any antifreeze, just be quick with the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBucs View Post
    I have 98 528i (04/98)
    My aux fan does not turn on at start up nor when the a/c is on. My ac only blows cold when the car is moving. The fan only comes on at it’s highest speed when at a stand still if the engines starts to warm up. Do I need to replace the entire auxiliary fan?
    Keitho64
    06 GTO 6-Speed
    03 BMW 530 Sport 5-speed
    69 911T RS30 Clone
    64 Corvair Monza

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iT
    FYI: if you have a three wire fan, you cannot just replace the fan. The cheaper replacements are only two wires and use resistors instead of the computer.

I replaced my fan and it seems to come on too easily and get to high quickly. I'm going to try that lower sensor now.
    1999 540iT: aFe Intake | M60 Intake | DUDMD Tune | Bavauto Springs | Bavsound Stage 1

2006 X5 3.0

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by keitho64 View Post
    Have you replaced the sensor in the lower radiator hose? This was the cause of all my aux fan problems. It is a very easy swap and I did it without removing any antifreeze, just be quick with the swap.
    Were you having the same issue as me? And is this the part?
    http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...0il-95-98.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tutti57 View Post
    FYI: if you have a three wire fan, you cannot just replace the fan. The cheaper replacements are only two wires and use resistors instead of the computer.

I replaced my fan and it seems to come on too easily and get to high quickly. I'm going to try that lower sensor now.
    Was this the fix? http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-528i-M52_2.8L/ES2185408/

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iT
    My problem was that the fan blades exploded and took a lot of the surround with them, so I just took the motor out of that one and swapped the blades and surround with one I got from rockauto. I'll probably sell the teo two wire motor it came withsince I have no use for it.

My next step was that one if this didn't work.

What is the part number for that temp sensor and was there a bin split that stopped using them? I'm seeing several locations on the sites.
    1999 540iT: aFe Intake | M60 Intake | DUDMD Tune | Bavauto Springs | Bavsound Stage 1

2006 X5 3.0

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    This is the part. http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Not sure link worked here is the part number. 13 62 1 433 077 Just search on that at BAV. This was for a 530 and I believe you are working on a 540 so double check the number.

My problem was the fan would come on Even when cold. It was an intermittent issue but since the fan worked I did not feel the fan was the issue which is why I went with the sensor route.
    Last edited by keitho64; 06-08-2015 at 11:17 PM.

My Cars
    01 540i6, 03 X5 4.4i
    ETA: The following applies ONLY to early model cars that are NOT computer controlled Aux fans.

I'm pretty sure that the AC being turned on bypasses the aux temp sensor in the radiator hose. So if the fan doesn't come on when the AC is switched on, then the sensor *may* not be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBucs View Post
    I have 98 528i (04/98)
    If the fan comes on at all, then you can likely rule out the fan motor. If the motor is bad it will either run or not for the most part (it is possible if it is going out that it will run randomly - but if you can recreate the situations that make it run that isn't likely the case). Most likely the resistor pack that drives the fan at different speeds.
    Last edited by nikatkimber; 06-09-2015 at 03:08 PM.
    2001 BMW 540i6 Anthracite/Sand

1997 BMW 328i - Sold

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    In my case the fan did not come on when I turned on the AC. The fan would just run when it felt like it. In one example it was below 10 outside and I just started the car but the fan was in full song.

My Cars
    01 540i6, 03 X5 4.4i
    In my case the fan did not come on when I turned on the AC. The fan would just run when it felt like it. In one example it was below 10 outside and I just started the car but the fan was in full song.
    Disregard my previous post at this point. I was reading the initial post and didn't realize that it only applies to the early models that aren't ECM controlled.

Both my car, and yours, are controlled by the computer. So the AC switch and the Aux Temp sensor send signals to the computer, and then it sends the signal to the fan.

1997 BMW 328i - Sold

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iT
    Where is the aux temp sensor located? Radiator or water pump?

2006 X5 3.0

My Cars
    01 540i6, 03 X5 4.4i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutti57 View Post
    Where is the aux temp sensor located? Radiator or water pump?
    On a M62TU engine, it's mounted just behind the radiator into the lower radiator hose.

1997 BMW 328i - Sold

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by nikatkimber View Post
    On a M62TU engine, it's mounted just behind the radiator into the lower radiator hose.
    Ok thanks. Are all of those sensors the same part numbers?

2006 X5 3.0

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast