Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: E39 Aux Fan Service - READ ON

My Cars
    E39 540/6 E46 323ci
    if anyone needs the resistor repair kit, I found this surplus place in NC blowing them out for $31.20 (or you can buy 200 of them for $4300
    Shipped mine same day ! half the price of the best I could find !

http://hedrick2.com/main/index.php?p...mid=40&lang=en

Just type in BMW in the search field
    Last edited by simont540; 08-17-2010 at 01:23 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i Wagon
    ok, so i have a 99 540iT sport with a aux fan that isn't turning on when the a/c comes on rendering my a/c useless. i have gone through this thread and the other one and still have some questions. i have a plug with 3 wires going to it that has power ground and trigger. with the car on and a/c on i have ground on the brown wire, power on the blue wire and power on the remaining small wire. so i can assume my fuses are good, mainly the 75 amp on under the glove box. so i bought a new fan assembly and plugged it in without pulling my whole front end off and it didn't come on. so i started the car and it came on. so i was like ok, cool, progress. to further substantiate this i unplugged the new one and plugged in the old one and it turned on for about 30 seconds and stopped. so now i am thinking its the temp switch. so i replaced that and still nothing no fan. one question i have is that i was seeing a ground at the switch instead of power like the wire at the plug by the aux fan, is that correct? also i have the fan that has the box on it which i assume its the resistors.

someone please help, its been 2 weeks now without a/c and the florida heat is killing me along with all the smoke from the wild fires.

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Quote Originally Posted by E39 Wagon View Post
    also i have the fan that has the box on it which i assume its the resistors.
    The troubleshooting of the Aux fan really depends on whether you have the one with the resistors or the one controlled by the ECU. You need to determine first whether you car SHOULD have the old style or new style. It is particularly important for you since you are at the cusp 9/98 when they changed over at 8/98.

If you bought the old and try to connect to the new, I don't think it will work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CSMBlack-540i; 06-21-2011 at 01:20 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i Wagon
    i have this thread where we have made good progress but aren't quite there yet. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1671166

we have concluded that i have the newer 3 wire fan, which is the one i bought as a replacement, so i am good there, just need to figure out how to trouble shoot so i can be sure its the fan before i spend the time taking the front end of my car off.

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Quote Originally Posted by E39 Wagon View Post
    i have this thread where we have made good progress but aren't quite there yet. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1671166

Yeah, I know. I posted in reply #8 and #11 there.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by kaane21
    Can anyone here help me out. I hav a 01 540i, aux fan less than a year old... My fan seems to operate only on hi mode, as a result my temp goes up constantly to near danger levels... Any one that give a little insight greatly apreciated
    Mines is doing the same thing i got a 98 528i when i put the ac on it takes about 10 to 12 minutes for the fan to kick in and by that time its too late the TEMP is already rising.

My Cars
    E34 525i,E39 525i(01)
    I hv d same problem with my 99 523i, d fan will move a bit but it doesn't continue, I replaced it with a new fan & it has been fine since

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by dvsgene

Yeah, I know. I posted in reply #8 and #11 there.
    I have the same problem i got a 98 528i production date 6/98 , when i put the ac on the ac is cold but the fan doesnt come on right away it takes about 10 to12 minutes to come on and then the car starts to overheat when i turn the ac off it doesnt overheat anymore the temperature goes back to normal, and then when i check the power outlet for the ac with the car on and the ac on , 1 wire is the ground and only 1 wire has power so theres 2 wires left but they have no power, should all 3 wires have power? Plus 1 be ground? Somebody please help

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Quote Originally Posted by DownyFresh View Post
    I have the same problem i got a 98 528i production date 6/98 , when i put the ac on the ac is cold but the fan doesnt come on right away it takes about 10 to12 minutes to come on and then the car starts to overheat when i turn the ac off it doesnt overheat anymore the temperature goes back to normal, and then when i check the power outlet for the ac with the car on and the ac on , 1 wire is the ground and only 1 wire has power so theres 2 wires left but they have no power, should all 3 wires have power? Plus 1 be ground? Somebody please help
    Sounds like the resistors are bad.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by DownyFresh

Mines is doing the same thing i got a 98 528i when i put the ac on it takes about 10 to 12 minutes for the fan to kick in and by that time its too late the TEMP is already rising.
    If u see ur temp goin UP turn ur AC off immediately and if its still goin up turn the car off so u dont damage ur engine,its either ur fan is bad or ur resistors if ur fan got those,like i said mine is doin the same thing i think its the resistors im gonna try to change them this week ill let u know how it went.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Quote Originally Posted by DownyFresh View Post
    If u see ur temp goin UP turn ur AC off immediately and if its still goin up turn the car off so u dont damage ur engine,its either ur fan is bad or ur resistors if ur fan got those,like i said mine is doin the same thing i think its the resistors im gonna try to change them this week ill let u know how it went.
    Turn off the A/C and keep on moving at least 20mph.

If the ONLY issue is the fan, it will never overheat while moving.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by joako

Turn off the A/C and keep on moving at least 20mph.

If the ONLY issue is the fan, it will never overheat while moving.
    Yeah thats what i do as soon i turn the AC off and keep the car moving the needles goes back to normal.

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    I am so subscribed to this thread.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Yay! So I spent all day today taking off the bumper, cleaning all the little hard to get to places, install the 2nd replacement fan, make sure all the screws were correct & tight. No more rattling/thumping noise when the fan operates!

Thanks to PelicanParts.com for cross-shipping a replacement fan.

Watch out with the condenser! Pressure washer too close will mess it up!!

My Cars
    88 325is, 99 528it
    I bought the resister kit but ended up not needing it (My car is newer and didn't use it at all). It is brand new. I can send pics upon request. Make an offer
    Part number 67328371873

My Cars
    1992 e36 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisesteschiro View Post
    I bought the resister kit but ended up not needing it (My car is newer and didn't use it at all). It is brand new. I can send pics upon request. Make an offer
    Part number 67328371873
    interested, but cant pm yet. shoot me a msg and we can talk

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    So I've gotten two fans from PelicanParts, BEHR brand. Each fan makes a chattering noise. If I jiggle the front end it stops sometimes.

Any advise how to stop the noise?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525d wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    So I've gotten two fans from PelicanParts, BEHR brand. Each fan makes a chattering noise. If I jiggle the front end it stops sometimes.

Any advise how to stop the noise?

I had the same thing and turned out my grill kidneys plastic back was touching the fan and pushing the protective shield in

My Cars
    E39 540i6, f30 328ix
    Don't mean to bring a dead thread back to life, but was anyone able to find a cheap replacement motor after the discontinued SIEMENS PM9047?

My Cars
    1997 bmw 540i
    hi i have 1997 bmw 540i when i take off resisvior cap pressure comes out from the car being cold thats wired what should i do about it.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    Quote Originally Posted by hawklow32 View Post
    hi i have 1997 bmw 540i when i take off resisvior cap pressure comes out from the car being cold thats wired what should i do about it.
    Change the head gaskets and see if that clears it up.

My Cars
    2001 740il, 1999 Boxster
    Have to ask......can you remove the cross brace at the top (After removing headlights), remove the 4 bolts that secure the fan assembly and pull it out through the top (after disconnecting electrical)?

My Cars
    2000 528i, 2001 M5

Baffled

I replaced my auxiliary fan but now my AC only blows cold while I am in motion.Once I come to a stop, it stops blowing cold air,

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Excellent write-up!
    Thanks for trying to save me some $$$ and time!

My motor is very loud.
    Does it mean that its going to die soon?
    Should I go to Autozone now and get replacement?

Thanks again,
    siny528i
    BMW CCA 434493

My Cars
    '98 540i '01 540i 13 E70
    Replacing the whole aux fan assembly tomorrow on my 98 e39. I'll let you know how it goes. The housing was shot couldn't save it. I think it may be original so pretty lucky it lasted this long 320k (+) And if it wasn't, I got the car when it had 295k in May of 09 so...
    Will follow up.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast