Thread: Anybody run Schroth QuickFits with Sparco Evo's?

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330

Anybody run Schroth QuickFits with Sparco Evo's?

I'm having some trouble mounting the stock receptacle low enough to get the inboard lap belt thru the hold in the seat. Are there custom brackets I should be using?

Also, the Evo's seem to be offset to the left of the steering wheel... swap floor mount brackets? I know one seems to be "wider" than the other...

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfan824
    TC does not want ghey hookers you silly.

My Cars
    E46
    Yo Tim,

Are you using Sparco base + slider + side mounts? Post some pics if you can.

I think most seats will end up slightly offset to the left if you use Sparco brackets. You will have to extend the slots so that the seat can shift to the right.

[SIZE="3"][SIZE=1][b] Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
    Supercharged E46 M54B25.
    2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!

My Cars
    SE-R, E36 325is
    Tim,

I had custom brackets made for my car to fit my Evo. Your seat should sit all the way to the right, literally touching the Tranny tunnel to be centered on the wheel.

Still not sure on the seatbelt mounting. I'll check a few things out. Maybe it's gonna require some customer parts.
    Sponsors Needed, if interested contact me directly.

My Cars
    87 325is
    I was able to make this work in a 525i and Evo seat by using custom mounts that the lap belt ends of the QuickFit bolted to. Even though I could make it work it turned out to be too much of a hassel to get into and out of the QuickFit harness while sitting in the Evo. So I switched to a 5-point cam-lock.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    Previous owner said they were Sparco mounts. It's definitely too far left... we'll see if there's enough room to shift these brackets.

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    The inboard buckle comes up too high to be able to pass the inboard lap belt thru the side... I have to go over the side of the seat. I'm using the entire buckle assembly, I don't think you can take them apart very easily/safely...

My Cars
    With the Evo's in the miata, we just gave up and custom-fabricated our own mounts

My Cars
    87 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by TC535i View Post
    The inboard buckle comes up too high to be able to pass the inboard lap belt thru the side... I have to go over the side of the seat. I'm using the entire buckle assembly, I don't think you can take them apart very easily/safely...
    Don't use the OE buckle at all. The end of the inboard end of the QuickFit has a square hole, which will accept a bolt. Then all you need is something mounted to the floor of the car to accept that bolt.

For the lap belt to do it's job it must pass through the holes in the sides of the Evo. From there to the attach point you should have about a 45deg angle.

My Cars
    87 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwretard View Post
    With the Evo's in the miata, we just gave up and custom-fabricated our own mounts
    Sparco side mounts and VAC adapters allow one to center (or almost center) an Evo relative to the steering wheel. I can't quite get an Evo II centered in my 525 as it hits the transmission tunnel. But it isn't much off center, certainly not enough to be a bother.

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post
    Don't use the OE buckle at all. The end of the inboard end of the QuickFit has a square hole, which will accept a bolt. Then all you need is something mounted to the floor of the car to accept that bolt.

For the lap belt to do it's job it must pass through the holes in the sides of the Evo. From there to the attach point you should have about a 45deg angle.
    Well, I guess I have two choices.

1, buy a spare pigtail, like they use on the stock seatbelt rail. Bolt that to this connection I have the stock receptacle hooked up up, and use the adaptor to plug that inboard buckle into.

2, just bolt the buckle to the bracket. Get the right angle, lose the "QuickFit" usefullness, since I can no longer plug/unplug the harness easily.

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    If I don't use the stock seatbelt receptacle tho, it'll think I'm not wearing a belt, and deactivate the airbag... correct?

My Cars
    87 325is
    I think you'll find that you can't really use the cross-chest belt with the Evo in the car. Remember that the lap portion must go through the holes in the sides of the Evo seat to afford seat belt protection. The OE buckle just about can't be made to work through the hole and fishing the belt end through the hole and trying to stuff it into the buckle mounted pretty much behind the seat is going to be a real hassle.

You can satisfy the SRS system by one of two means. One method is to leave the OE buckle connected to the car's harness and stuff a dummy belt end into the buckle. Tie-wrap the whole mess up underneath the seat. That's what I've done on both sides of the car. The other method is to simulate the buckle (and on later cars the tensioner). A search will turn up how.

And before going too far, jury rig a mounting for the QuickFit harness and see if you can easily get into and out of them. I could, but only with difficulty if the harness was properly adjusted. It was a lot easier if I loosened the sholder straps and lap belt before unbuckling, but that in itself is a pain. In the end I just replaced the QuickFit harnesses with a 5-point cam-locks. At the end of track season I'll pull the Evo and re-install the OE seat.

An Evo or similar is fine for a while, but I find that it begins to get real uncomfortable after a couple of hours of driving. At that point I have to get out of the car for 20-30 minutes, then I'm good for another couple hours. In my opinion it isn't the seat that you want to have in a daily driver if you'll be driving significant distances.

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post
    I think you'll find that you can't really use the cross-chest belt with the Evo in the car. Remember that the lap portion must go through the holes in the sides of the Evo seat to afford seat belt protection. The OE buckle just about can't be made to work through the hole and fishing the belt end through the hole and trying to stuff it into the buckle mounted pretty much behind the seat is going to be a real hassle.

You can satisfy the SRS system by one of two means. One method is to leave the OE buckle connected to the car's harness and stuff a dummy belt end into the buckle. Tie-wrap the whole mess up underneath the seat. That's what I've done on both sides of the car. The other method is to simulate the buckle (and on later cars the tensioner). A search will turn up how.

And before going too far, jury rig a mounting for the QuickFit harness and see if you can easily get into and out of them. I could, but only with difficulty if the harness was properly adjusted. It was a lot easier if I loosened the sholder straps and lap belt before unbuckling, but that in itself is a pain. In the end I just replaced the QuickFit harnesses with a 5-point cam-locks. At the end of track season I'll pull the Evo and re-install the OE seat.

An Evo or similar is fine for a while, but I find that it begins to get real uncomfortable after a couple of hours of driving. At that point I have to get out of the car for 20-30 minutes, then I'm good for another couple hours. In my opinion it isn't the seat that you want to have in a daily driver if you'll be driving significant distances.
    I just drove back to Los Angeles from the bay area in them, a 5-something hour trip. I was alright, one stop for gas... not too bad at all. Lower back was a little sore, but doesn't bother me the day after. Could use a little more butt padding, but as far as posture goes, as long as my ass was back in the seat, I was ok.

I'm thinking about just going with the Profi ASMs, haven't decided yet. May just do that and sell the quickfits. We'll see. I'll probably pull the seats out to see if I can get em closer to inboard by switching brackets. At that time, I'll bolt the inboard buckle right to the seat bracket and see how that works out.

Mine's a '92, so I'll probably just plug something into the connector and stuff it under the seat.

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TC535i View Post
    I just drove back to Los Angeles from the bay area in them, a 5-something hour trip. I was alright, one stop for gas... not too bad at all. Lower back was a little sore, but doesn't bother me the day after. Could use a little more butt padding, but as far as posture goes, as long as my ass was back in the seat, I was ok.

I'm thinking about just going with the Profi ASMs, haven't decided yet. May just do that and sell the quickfits. We'll see. I'll probably pull the seats out to see if I can get em closer to inboard by switching brackets. At that time, I'll bolt the inboard buckle right to the seat bracket and see how that works out.

Mine's a '92, so I'll probably just plug something into the connector and stuff it under the seat.
    I'm planning on getting this in conjunction with the Schroth Profi II ASM. Bolting the harness to the chassis isn't very invasive, and I can get the roll bar welded in and be able to fit my back seats back in. I think I'm currently only $200 short of buying all of it, that is after I get paid for my suspension and harness bar. I'm only getting one harness for now tho. Screw my paaengers.
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna