Thread: Why is BMW not in the DTM series?

My Cars
    540iT, GT3

Question Why is BMW not in the DTM series?

I'm watching the DTM series on Speed Channel right now and noticed that all the cars were either Mercedes, Audis or Opels. How come BMW is not participating in this racing series? Is it because of some policitcal reason? Rules/regulation issues? How about Porsche?

My Cars
    GT3 RS, Miata R, F31
    The requirement is to run a front mounted V8 engine. Therefore Porsche is out of there. BMW is spending all of their available $$ on F1. Rumour has it that they are planning on entering an M3 in a couple of years. BMW allegedly was using the M3 GTR V8 in the ALMS as R&D for DTM. Whether or not they'll follow through has yet to be seen.
    "Way-dull" Racing #74

My Cars
    540iT, GT3
    Thanks for educating the uneducated, kaiservon (or in my case, just too lazy to research). :p

I've read a few things on the whole ALMS issue and I must say, Porsche is a scumbag for crying foul on the M3 GTR.

I would love to see the BMWs competing with the Mercs and Audis.

I also heard a rumor that BMW might buy the Williams team? That would be awesome. Maybe they can finally compete with Ferrari...

My Cars
    97 M3/4
    also heard a rumor that BMW might buy the Williams team? That would be awesome. Maybe they can finally compete with Ferrari...
    Sir Frank isn't in any hurry to sell his team. He has offered BMW the ability to become more involved in the process, but if BMW wants to go the Ferrari/Toyota route, they will likely have to bring the operation in house. Dr. Mario Thiessen has indicated that they are reviewing those options currently.

Rumour has it that they are planning on entering an M3 in a couple of years. BMW allegedly was using the M3 GTR V8 in the ALMS as R&D for DTM. Whether or not they'll follow through has yet to be seen.
    As for this, BMW would more likely enter a 3 series or 5, rather than an M3. They are doing the development on entering and M3 stateside through PTG in World Challenge. I also don't think we'll see them back in ALMS, the management in Germany was pretty upset over the ACO's ruling last year. They did a ton of work to run a car in about 8 events. And to run it in the FIA GT in Europe, they would need to do some modifications to the car to make it rules compliant.
    Adam
    97 M3/4

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee

TT?

Originally posted by kaiservon
    The requirement is to run a front mounted V8 engine.
    Aren't the Audi TT's running DTM?

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon

Re: TT?

Originally posted by mvf4s
    Aren't the Audi TT's running DTM?
    Yup, but they are running a V8.

My Cars
    2000 M5 (For Sale)

2003?

It is my understanding that BMW will campaign the 'GTR' in DTM for 2003. It just about meets the requirements with the 4.0L V8.

Here you can see BMW team Schnitzer testing at the N-ring recently.
    http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...&threadid=55015

I have also found somewhere else that has some still photos from the testing session. It is my opinion that they have installed slightly narower body work (DTM legal) and wheels with a new hood. What do you guys think?

seems like DTM 2003 is possible with the Mullers driving????

-mel

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Mel, I agree. Back when the 4 liter V8 was developed, I found it hard to believe that it was developed just for ALMS, especially given the fact that the motor seemed to fit in with the new (at the time) DTM series. And I further find it hard to believe that with the ALMS decision, BMW is just leaving a bunch of V8's sitting on the shelves that it spent untold millions of $$ to develop.

I found an intersting article on the 24 Hours of the Ring website. It's in german here:
    http://www.24h-rennen.de/index.php4?...news&news=2643

A quick internet translation reads something like:

24h: comeback of the BMW M3 GTR celebrates comes

BMW M3 GTR again: BMW brings two of these sport vehicles on the 31 May/1. June 2003 in the 24-stunden-rennen 24-stunden-rennen hour 24-stunden-rennen racing on the Nürburgring at the start. As pilots of the BMW strong over 400 HP already both German work driver Jörg gauze (33) and Dirk gauze (27) be certain yet is named, the further driver occupation.

"The organization develops itself very positively, and with the BMW M3 GTR have we a vehicle, that around the total victory mitfahren can", explains BMW motoring director Mario Theissen. "After Reglementfragen cleared were and we also beginning of November on the north bow tested have, stood the decision for the insert firmly." BMW motoring director Gerhard Berger supplements: "we see the insert also as our contribution to one of the tradition empires of motoring-events of Germany."

Driver and vehicle come into the best hands: the BMW work team of blunder-motoring with team manager Charly lamb will carry out the insert together with technologies of BMW motoring. Under the administration of strategist lamb BMW tours vehicles already two total victory obtained 24-stunden-rennen racing in the 24-stunden-rennen 24-stunden-rennen hour on the Nürburgring, hinzukommen of five triumphs in the 24 hours of Spa-Francorchamps and one, 1999 with the open prototype BMW V12 LMR, in the 24-stunden-klassiker 24-stunden-klassiker hour 24-stunden-klassiker classic in Le Mans.

Since the premiere of the 24-stunden-rennens 24-stunden-rennens hour 24-stunden-rennens racing on the Nürburgring in the year 1970,16 times a BMW went as a total victor into the goal, lately 1998. At That Time the BMW 320d won as the first tours vehicle such a marathon with diesel engine.

The BMW M3 GTR, that 2003 in the Eifel comes to the insert, was developed originally Le series of Mans for the insert in that american. There the bullige Coupé 2001 debut and won in all disciplines: Jörg gauze won won became the driver championship, BMW motoring in the Teamklassement, and BMW sign master in the most important foreign country market of the firm.

The Vierliter-V8-Motor of the BMW M3 GTR performs over 400 HP and lies as a kurzhubiges, hochdrehendes and compact engine entirely in the tradition of the M-motors. An expressly developed load work, aerodynamic optimization and aimed Leichtbau with car body part out of coal thread make this M3 to an impressive GT-sport vehicle.
    Replace "insert" with "entry" above and it sounds like after the test you mentioned that BMW has decided to enter in the next 24 Hour at the Ring race. Hmm...anyone else think they are continuing to develop this car some reason other than the fun of it? If they had no intentions of doing something with this car/engine, I guarantee you that those funds would be moved into the F1 program. I'd say the chances of BMW moving into DTM are good...or in my perfect world, they've made a backroom deal to get the car back in at LeMans and will contend for the 24 Hours at LeMans victory in the coming year!!

My Cars
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan w/mods
    Originally posted by snk328is

I've read a few things on the whole ALMS issue and I must say, Porsche is a scumbag for crying foul on the M3 GTR.

What's funny is that Porsche has been absolutely masterful at exploiting the rulebooks since the days of the 917. But when it's done to them,
    Steve
    ----------
    2002 Subaru WRX Sedan w/ mods.