Thread: oil pressure check valve?

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport

oil pressure check valve?

just a question for people who have had their head off..

according to pelican parts there is a oil pressure check valve IN the head.. and it shows a picture of where it sits at.

i never even looked at my head for this little part and it certainly didnt FALL out when i removed the head.

took the block and head to the machine shop and got everythign back and installed the head back on. i never even looked for that little part.

i saw my down pins in hte box my head was in but nothin that looked like the oil pressure check valve, hell i dont even know what it looks like.

my question is does anyone on here who had their head off notice this piece? especially people who had their head taken to a machine shop? did you guys remove it? did it fall out or if/when you removed it did you have to PULL it out with some force?

io have already torqued my head down for the 2nd time so far and now damit i think im going to have to remove it again to check for tht little valve..

here is a pic of where it supposedly goes...

Nikon D800e | Nikon D700 | MB-D10 | SB900 | SB800 | SB600 | LumPro160 | Nikon 85 1.4G | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 35 1.4

My Cars
    e36 m3, e46 325, e36
    I put on an MLS headgasket and machined the head down .002", the machine shop told me it had to be removed to resurface it. I didnt want to risk it, so I bought another one from the dealer and put it in.

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
    I put on an MLS headgasket and machined the head down .002", the machine shop told me it had to be removed to resurface it. I didnt want to risk it, so I bought another one from the dealer and put it in.
    man this sucks now i have to remove the head again just to see if it is in ther or not
    Nikon D800e | Nikon D700 | MB-D10 | SB900 | SB800 | SB600 | LumPro160 | Nikon 85 1.4G | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 35 1.4

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    never mind. i found a pic of my head back from the machine shop and it clearly shows the check valve in place

why didnt i think to look at a pic sooner

My Cars
    e36 m3, e46 325, e36
    good thing...you saved yourself from quite the headache!

My Cars
    2011 Honda Fit Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
    good thing...you saved yourself from quite the headache!
    yes thank god..

now if i could only figure out why my head has dark spots in the metal when the machine shop advised me that the head was flat and true when they were done with it..

possible the head was heated on those spots at one point in time discoloring the head ?

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    This is an old thread, but I couldn't find any other relevant ones...

Do you have to remove the oil pressure check valve when getting the head decked. If so, how do you remove it?

-Don

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I wouldn't even mess with it, I left mine in there when I took it to the machine shop yesterday.

My Cars
    1996 318is, M44 Engine

Oil Pressure Check Valve Missing

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    This is an old thread, but I couldn't find any other relevant ones...

Do you have to remove the oil pressure check valve when getting the head decked. If so, how do you remove it?

-Don
    Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I took the head off earlier today and there is no check valve visible in the head itself. It's just a machined hole, as it appears in the Pelican Parts pic shown earlier. Does anyone have a pic showing what the check valve in the head looks like?

On the engine block side, I do see what appears to be a check valve pressed or threaded into the block. Is this what you are referring to? Or is part of the valve missing on my engine?

Thanks!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    The check valve should be in the hole in the head in the spot shown above.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Part number: 11121735180

From what I can tell, it helps keep oil in the head when the engine is off. The lifters etc will remain full of oil for the next startup.

The engine will run without it, but you should have it in place.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I ALWAYS take a picture when I put this (and the squirters for the underside of the pistons) in, because without fail, I'll see an old one laying on the bench a few days after the engine is assembled and have a heart attack, thinking I forgot to put it in!

My Cars
    1996 318is, M44 Engine

oil pressure check valve?

Thanks all for your responses. I really appreciate it. So i have a 4 cylinder 1996 318is, with the M44 engine. I see a check valve only in the engine block (see image below). The cylinder head just has an empty slotted hole and the check valve lives in the engine block (or maybe it was incorrectly installed there?. I'm assuming that the 6cyl and 4 cyl engines may have a difference and that's why mine is different than yours? If anyone can offer any insight into this and also let me know what I have to do to get this valve out of the block, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

My Cars
    1996 318is, M44 Engine
    Hi - does anyone have any advice on the previous post? I haven't been able to find anything online on how to remove the oil pressure check valve and spacer sleeve(part #s 11111734667 and 11111739185). I'm sure people have done rebuilds on these 4 cyl M44 engines, but there's limited info out there for these engines that have the check valve in the block (and not in the head). Thanks!

My Cars
    see sig
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Anyone know what size that o-ring is?

My Cars
    see sig
    I decided to re-use my valve without replacing the o-ring given that it's low pressure situation. It wasn't damaged, just 300k miles old. Machinist agrees it should be fine.
    Tom

E93: 09 328 'vert [dd]
    E53: 03 X5 4.4i [tow]
    E36: 93 325is [track]
    E30: (LeMons) [R.I.P]

2nd Gen LS1 Camaro Build