Thread: M3 clutch engagement seems low

My Cars
    1998 M3 sedan

M3 clutch engagement seems low

I have a 98 M3 sedan that I bought last fall that needed a new clutch. The old clutch was slipping a bit and engaged fairly high in it's travel (but seemed normal to me at the time). After getting the new clutch installed, the engagement point is just a bit off the bottom (maybe 3/4" of travel from the bottom). The hydraulics were never disconnected, but the shop checked for air in the system after I questioned them on the low engagement. No problems found with that. My clutch stop is actually no longer installed (looked to have broken), but I have no need for it anyway since the engagement is so low. The clutch operated fine and seems to completely disengage, I am just curious if the E36 M3 is supposed to have a low engagement point.

My Cars
    91 318is S52 Swap, 99 M3
    My 99 I got last week is the same way and it has a new clutch too.

My Cars
    Cayman S
    I have a small clutch stop in mine, and mine engages as soon as i lift off. I drive Audis on the weekend, and getting back into my car after an Audi (or any other car for that matter) is tricky. I usually stall out once or twice getting back in.

That being said, I have had numerous educated people drive my car, including a guy that races M3s in the ALMS races, and he said it's fine.

So as long as it's not slipping, maybe it's ok?

Estrl M3 Guest
    my 98 m3 sedan was also this way after first purchase because it had a new clutch installed <200 miles before i bought. i since have put 2k on it and engagement has been progressivly getting longer. so i believe it is just a new clutch issue and should wear off after a few thousand miles.

My Cars
    98 M3/2, 06 Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by 98M3Sedan View Post
    my 98 m3 sedan was also this way after first purchase because it had a new clutch installed <200 miles before i bought. i since have put 2k on it and engagement has been progressivly getting longer. so i believe it is just a new clutch issue and should wear off after a few thousand miles.
    yeah it should feel lower than an old clutch for sure. If your gears start grinding thought could be a cluctch master or slave cylinder.

Or worse case the pressure plate is defecctive.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Mine has to be on the floor to get it into first; I was worried about it. Did the Clutch Valve Delete, bled the system with a new pressure bleeder, etc. No change. Drove a buddy's M3; the clutch felt identical.
    Sold: 98 M3/4/5 Techno Violet
    Sold: 07 Cayman S
    Sold: 98 Z3 M Roadster
    00 Z3 M Coupe: TC Kline SA, Vorshlag Camber Plates, 255/35/18(F), 295/30/18(R) on APEX ARC8's

rcM3 is offline baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...
    My Cars
    '98 M3/2, '09 Cooper S
    Mine is ultra-low too and its been consistently that way for the past 30k miles.

My Cars
    1998 M3 sedan

Thanks for the response

Glad to hear it's just not mine. I have gotten used to it, but everytime I drive the M3 after driving another car for a bit, I always think I should ask about it in the forum.

Hoping everyone has long stretches of happy, trouble-free motoring..............

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    Mine has a low biting point also.
    Friend of mine who's E30 M3 has a very quick biting clutch, stalled my car twice before we got going.

Another reason to excercise good shifting habits in these cars.

m