Thread: Remote Starters

My Cars
    '00 e38; '04 e63

Remote Starters

Has anyone installed a remote starter on their 740i (2000 specifically)? I'd be interested only in the starter feature with starter anti-grind. I'm currently using a Viper brand in my '95 Sierra. As well, I'm not sure what type to get since it may interfere with the current remote entry system. If you have one installed what brand and model did you go for?

Thanks
    Stephen Lem
    '00 740i

My Cars
    1995 325is
    I totally do not reccomend doing this as you will have to bypass the antitheft system to make it work.
    Level One BMW Master Tech - Chicago Illinois. (actual dealer not shown for my own protection.)

My Cars
    '00 e38; '04 e63
    good point.

My Cars
    '00 e38; '04 e63
    OT, I've just installed a Viper 150ESP remote starter. It didn't affect the factory alarm or any of it's functionality. What this unit requires is your valet key so that the code can be grabbed in order to allow the car to start. If you would like further details, drop me an email at slem@amgen.com

Cheers.

My Cars
    1995 325is
    Did you tape the valet key to the antenna ring or something? With this setup, some one could easily steal your car. The EWS system in your car uses a transponder chip in the key that has a rolling code. With out the correct rolling code, the vehicle will not start. This so some one cannot walk up and jam a screwdriver in the ignition and start the car.

We get about 1 or 2 messages a month from BMW NA with vin numbers of stolen cars. 9 times out of ten, it turns out the car had a remote starter or some similar system installed.
    Level One BMW Master Tech - Chicago Illinois. (actual dealer not shown for my own protection.)

My Cars
    '00 e38; '04 e63
    That's a good question. I did provide the installer with my valet key and noticed I didn't get it back when I picked up my car. I will pass on that comment and see what they tell me.