Thread: trouble shooting heater problems

trouble shooting heater problems

So my heater blows slightly warm air at best,
    Even after the engine is warm, and on the highway at high speed.

So the common possible cause of this are
    a bad thermostat and a bad heater valve and what else?

I'm doing the fan delete this weekend, so i'll be putting in the
    80c thermostat. (Thats the correct thermostat right)
    This would fix the problem if the problem is the thermostat correct?
    I'm also throwing in a new water pump just in case.
    (its already a metal impellar - but it couldnt hurt)

So I also try this heater valve:
    http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...t=Heater+Valve

what else could the problem be?

the water temp gauge shows regular temps.
    (after about 5 minutes)

My Cars
    '11 328xi, '07 gx470
    If the temp guage shows regular temp (around the middle), then your thermostat is working fine. If the water pump has a metal impeller, why do you want to change it? I'd try the heater valve first.

BTW, are you sure you have turned your main air vent knob to the RED position and not the BLUE position? Some guys forget to do this and complain about cold air...

The main air vent knob?

I have one of those stoopid dual climate control messes. I don't see any knobs...?

My Cars
    '11 328xi, '07 gx470
    Do you have this main air vent knob/dial/wheel/whatever? In this picture it is turned to BLUE - only cold air will come out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    I have this same problem in my 92 325is, even with that knob turned to RED.

I also have very weak air flow. Only time I get decent - but not the proper amount - of airflow is if I turn off all the other vents and keep the center main vent open. This is not right.

Could it be a clogged microfilter?? Or something else?

My Cars
    '11 328xi, '07 gx470
    Originally posted by Big Lun
    Could it be a clogged microfilter?? Or something else?
    I can recall a noticable improvement in air flow after I changed my microfilter. If it's been 20k miles since you last changed it, just do it and you'll see the difference.

In Toronto, I'd imagine you need heat at least 7 months of the year, so how do you manage if you barely get warm air?!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Im curious to find out also... my heater is not that hot and I feel like the air flow is pretty weak.

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    Toronto????

I live in Vancouver! We have a temperate climate here on the West Coast. We see snow about 2-3 days a year...if we're lucky! I don't think we'll be seeing any snow this year. Just rain.

20k miles? Oh dear, I'm LONG overdue! My 325is has 130 000 miles and I've never changed it. I think I might now what the problem is.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Anyone know what else could cause the heater poor performance?

My Cars
    I have a few -

heating problems...

Originally posted by C///M3
    Anyone know what else could cause the heater poor performance?
    Tis the season to have heating issues... I just got my 97' out of the shop yesterday for the same problem. My heat temp was luke warm- at best... my air flow was also marginal- at best.
    I found out my entire water pump was shot- plastic impeller type. The service manager said I was a few miles away from a "melt down". Not too good in this climate.... central Pa, which has been around 10-30 degrees F. all month.
    Here is what I had installed to fix my heating issues:
    11-51-7-527-799 RMFD Waterpump
    11-53-7-511-580 Thermostat 88
    As well as the standard O-Ring, profile gasket and antifreeze. This all ran me $388.73 at the local BMW dealership. And I'll tell you what; my heating problems were GONE. I actually had to back the heat off driving home because it was so damn hot !! I'll take too hot any day of the week....
    But I still have very week air flow What is this micro filter I saw referred to (above enteries)? Where is it located? And if I'm having heating issue, you would think the dealer might have made mention to the filter. I do have 101,000 on the ticker and I'm sure the filter has never been replaced- but not positive about that. Is this something I can change?? thanks...

M3... There is no substitute

My Cars
    I have a few -

Re: heating problems...

Originally posted by MarkAidan
    Tis the season to have heating issues... I just got my 97' out of the shop yesterday for the same problem. My heat temp was luke warm- at best... my air flow was also marginal- at best.
    I found out my entire water pump was shot- plastic impeller type. The service manager said I was a few miles away from a "melt down". Not too good in this climate.... central Pa, which has been around 10-30 degrees F. all month.
    Here is what I had installed to fix my heating issues:
    11-51-7-527-799 RMFD Waterpump
    11-53-7-511-580 Thermostat 88
    As well as the standard O-Ring, profile gasket and antifreeze. This all ran me $388.73 at the local BMW dealership. And I'll tell you what; my heating problems were GONE. I actually had to back the heat off driving home because it was so damn hot !! I'll take too hot any day of the week....
    But I still have very week air flow What is this micro filter I saw referred to (above enteries)? Where is it located? And if I'm having heating issue, you would think the dealer might have made mention to the filter. I do have 101,000 on the ticker and I'm sure the filter has never been replaced- but not positive about that. Is this something I can change?? thanks...

Oh... one more issue. Everytime I start the car up, the outside temp starts to "ping/beep" and reads the temp with the "F" flashing. Then it "pings/beeps" in a few more seconds and stops flashing. What's up with that?? thanks again.

My Cars
    Roller Blades

Re: Re: heating problems...

Oh... one more issue. Everytime I start the car up, the outside temp starts to "ping/beep" and reads the temp with the "F" flashing. Then it "pings/beeps" in a few more seconds and stops flashing. What's up with that?? thanks again.

When you take the vent to heating mode, the airflow will not be at the same level as when it is on colling mode. Don't ask me why, but that's the way it is (as I was told by a reputable member).

The microfilter may or may not affect the airflow. About 3 months ago, I changed mine with only 14k miles on it. It did not improve the airflow. If yours has not been changed for years, it may improve the flow, but not significantly.

To answer your question, that is just a reminder from the OBC that the road may be icy due to low temperature. It always does that when the temperature reaches 37 degree.

My Cars
    I have a few -

Re: Re: Re: heating problems...

Originally posted by moonluv810
    When you take the vent to heating mode, the airflow will not be at the same level as when it is on colling mode. Don't ask me why, but that's the way it is (as I was told by a reputable member).

The microfilter may or may not affect the airflow. About 3 months ago, I changed mine with only 14k miles on it. It did not improve the airflow. If yours has not been changed for years, it may improve the flow, but not significantly.

To answer your question, that is just a reminder from the OBC that the road may be icy due to low temperature. It always does that when the temperature reaches 37 degree.
    Thanks for the insight on the freeezing temp warning. I thought at 1 point I may have been coding out. As far as the filter, where would I locate this creature?? I may as well change it and hope for the best. thanks.
    96 Arctic Silver M3/2D (SOLD)
    Alpine, K&N FIPK, H&R, Bilsteins, Borla, Kumho 712's & 35% tint.

99 Cosmos Black Metallic M3/2D (SOLD)
    Alpine, AFE CAI, JC Injected, M5 Lip, UUC SSK EVOIII, UUC Clutch Stop, UUC TME, AA Brace, Borla, 18" CSL Reps, Eagle F1 & 35% tint.

My Cars
    Roller Blades

Re: Re: Re: Re: heating problems...

Thanks for the insight on the freeezing temp warning. I thought at 1 point I may have been coding out. As far as the filter, where would I locate this creature?? I may as well change it and hope for the best. thanks.
    The filter is located behind the center console. You need to remove the glovebox to reach it. It's a 30-minute job.

Go here for detail instructions and pics: www.unofficialbmw.com