Thread: InPro Headlight Adjustment

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT

InPro Headlight Adjustment

I would like the benefit of anyone's experience adjusting InPro headlights.

I am unable to fully adjust my new InPro's . I have mounted the lights to match the body and attempted to use the sprocket adjusters in the back. They are not moving the reflectors. I am concerned that my lights may be broken.

I initially adjusted the lights in accordance with the "official" ellipsoid guide posted here previously. However, the adjustment shot the lights too low. Now, I am not getting any verticle movement on the right and left lights. I have confirmed that the gears are matching. They just spin and spin cw or ccw.

I am not impressed with InPro quality. The left light does not put out the same brightness as the right, the exterior plasic if flimsy, they don't have middle hanging tabs, and the adjusting allen sockets strip easily. That is the reason for my concern that they are broken. Has anyone else faced and overcome this problem?

I am loathe to return these lights. I got them from a private GB, so I don't even know that I can. Plus, I painted them to match my car and they look hot.

I hope that someone can help. Thanks.

There are limit to these adjusters, you may have gone past the range and the gears are no longer meshing.

My Cars
    FJ,Tahoe, F800GS,Piaggio
    I have exactly the same issue with my Depo hedlights. I finally managed to adjust them useing the mounting screws/adjustors, but only one of the actual "fine-tune" adjustment allens work. Mine are the same brightness though. I'm a bit happier now, but the quality just isn't right to me. Just keep working the mounting screws for adjustment. Yoiu'll eventually get it right. I know it's a pain this way, but it'll have to do.
    Good luck.

Mike
    '98328iC
    Nashville
    shopping... F30, Sportline, Silver, Red...

My Cars
    95 M3 /02 KTM 400exc

My inpros

I also have the inpros and they look like they are a bit high. I get a lot of flashes from on coming cars.

I adjusted the mounts on the car out as much as I can and the alan screw ones with the gears doesnt do anything as far as i can tell.

Ill probably have to take another look at these again. I also have to take off the front glass and silicone it in. I get fogging of the lenses after washing the car or if I leave the car outside for the weekend or something.

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Just keep working the mounting screws for adjustment
    Yes, I tried that, but it gets the light body out of alignment with the car body. Also, the housing tends to bend if the bottom screws are not loosened first.

Has anyone tried to open up their InPros to determine why the allen adjusters don't work? Any ideas why my left light is dimmer than the right?

On a simular topic, can anyone with ZKWs tell me if their housings are made of flimsy plastic? Are they missing the center mounting tabs? Any problems stripping the allen adjusters?

Thanks.

My Cars
    Tsla 22 mdl 3p 22 mdl Yp
    Inpros are crap. I have inpros and they are crap. I think I might buy zkw's in the somewhat near future they have caused nothing but disapointment and heartache.

Tom

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT

SOLUTION

I discovered why the rear allen adjustment screws weren't working and fixed it. It wasn't very difficult.

I removed the headlamps from the car and opened them up. I discovered that the plastic reflector assembly holders had popped out. I put them back, glued them against the assembly with epoxy, confirmed operation, and replaced the headlamps.

The adjusters work by moving the reflector assembly in and out. This is done by a screw (that is adjusted via the allen heads) that pushes/pulls a nut. Springs pull the reflector assembly into the housing. The adjusting nut pushes the nut out. The nut comes into contact with the plastic holder (attached to the assembly) indicated above. If they pop out, the nut has nothing to push against.

The plastic holder attaches to the assembly via a slot and tab. The tabs on the plastic holder turn into the slots in the assembly. Not a good design in my opinion. Turns from the adjusting screw can easily turn and push out the plastic holder. I used appoxy in an attempt to keep the holders in place.

A warning to all shopping for ellipsoids! I wish that I got ZKWs instead of InPros. InPros work as well as ZKWs, have AEs, and are cheaper. However, the poor quality is not worth the money saved. I have spent much more in time and aggravation than money saved. InPro does not live up to the legendary German reputation for quality.