Thread: Odometer and clock display lights stay on

My Cars
    None

Odometer and clock display lights stay on

Hey guys!

I have a customer with 97 328i sedan and when she locks the vehicle the odometer in the cluster and clock display lights in the OBC remain on and the battery is drained.

Has this happened to anyone? If so what was the fix?

Thanks!
    Last edited by BMWguy206; 09-07-2006 at 02:03 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3 98 Tacoma 4X4
    Intresting, post the fix please.

My Cars
    E36 323is
    Have angel eyes been installed in this car?

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Have angel eyes been installed in this car?
    Car is bone stock

My Cars
    E36 323is
    A similar thing happened on my car when I powered my angel eyes with both switched power (washer fluid pump) and my footwell lights. When the car door was closed, the interior lights would come on, and this would also power everything on the switched power circuit (exactly what you describe). I fixed my problems with a couple diodes, but mine was an easy fix b/c I knew exactly where teh problem was, as I caused it.

Start up the car and look for evidence of feed back the other way. For example, if the footwell lights circuit has shorted with switched power, they will stay on even when they are not supposed to.

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    A similar thing happened on my car when I powered my angel eyes with both switched power (washer fluid pump) and my footwell lights. When the car door was closed, the interior lights would come on, and this would also power everything on the switched power circuit (exactly what you describe). I fixed my problems with a couple diodes, but mine was an easy fix b/c I knew exactly where teh problem was, as I caused it.

Start up the car and look for evidence of feed back the other way. For example, if the footwell lights circuit has shorted with switched power, they will stay on even when they are not supposed to.
    Thanks! I will tell the tech working on the car to start looking for shorts.

My Cars
    None
    Hey guys.. we found the problem!

After checking the wiring schematic for the cluster and clock display, we found that the connector for the factory pre-wired cell phone had been shorted out by a soda spill underneath the cup holders. We had the car for a week trying to dianose this issue.