Thread: M3 engine swap

How much does the engine alone cost? What's the cost on the extra parts needed to get the engine running in the 318? Cost on labor? Any side effects? Thx for any help.

My Cars
    X GSR | M3
    The engine alone will be 7-8 grand. The you'd have to find a mechanic to put it in, you'd also need to change all suspension to accomodate the weight difference. You'd probably want to change clutch and stuff to accomodate for the gain of power. My cousin says, i'm in Ca, that you would have to tell the DMV that you swapped engines, then you'd have to tell you insurance also so your price would be jacked up. For that price i'd say go for a Downing Atlanta Supercharger. Just my $.02
    JOEY | '18 M3 ZCP AW | '18 Lead Foot Raptor

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    many people will say this, if you consider the M3 engine swap, might as well go for the M3 instead. The cost to change the Engine, labor, clutch, suspension etc... will in the long run cost more than the M3. Some do the engine swap cuz of insurance issues and dont report it to their insurance. Other's do it for a project car and dont mind resale value, which after the engine swap will reduce your resale, and cannot compensate for the loss of money you've spent into the car.

i would think best thing to do is to get an M3, unless this is a project car or you dont mind the resale value.

good luck.
    Richard

I would be doing it as a project car. Not really concerned with a resale value hit. Would an M3 engine with supercharger or turbo fit in a 318?

My Cars
    X GSR | M3
    Originally posted by Vok
    I would be doing it as a project car. Not really concerned with a resale value hit. Would an M3 engine with supercharger or turbo fit in a 318?
    Of course it would fit, why wouldn't it? I mean it's th same size as an M3, just some components are different like suspension, tranny, etc.
    JOEY | '18 M3 ZCP AW | '18 Lead Foot Raptor

My Cars
    e31_850ci & some e38s
    Max I would pay for the M3 motor is 5k...

But install is another story...I did my car in my driveway!!

But a lift would have decreased the time in half. (specially during the tranny and exhaust install)

If your M42/M44 engine has low miles, you MIGHT be abkle to get at least 2k for the motor.

When I did my car, THis lady at my moms work blew her motor...(no oil)
    So I intalled my M42 to her car.. she paid me 3k for the motor and 800 removal/install. (took me 4 hours.) and took hers as core. I stripped it and sold the alternator, throttle body and head trashed the block.

Consider the car also, If you still owe on it, just take the loss on the trade.
    If it's paid off and you are gonna keep it, consider it a "Project Car" and go for it!!

I did!

http://www.geocities.com/elibeemer/BMW.html

Eli is that the price for a brand new M3 engine? I can do the install if the costs are too much. I'd prefer to do the install myself, but I don't know if I'll have the time. Of course I'd have to find a time when my cousin and uncle aren't using their engine stand to hold a new engine for their Blazers heh

Are there any turbos or superchargers for the E46 M3? I only know of ones for the E36 M3 which I assume would not work well with the E46 version. Thanks for the info guys.

My Cars
    e31_850ci & some e38s
    That price is of a used M3 motor (prob some wreck) ...

I got my motor from a guy who killed himself on the way back home from Las Vegas ( to Pacific Palisades)
    Or so the junk yard says...

An engine stand helps the project and so does a cherry picker..
    I managed to pull the entire motor and tranny of the at once...

As for the E46 ///M3, the motor is identical as to the newer M3 except for the individual throttle runners/intakes. I am sure there will be some kits in the works (forced induction) for the individual throttle runners....

BMWguy Guest
    actually the new M3 motor is slightly different from the E36 m3 motor (US version)... besides the throttle bodies... the motor comes with a dual vanos and the cams are different as well... plus the rods are slightly different as well... the rod angle would have been too much for the higher revs in the new E46 M3. plus the valve springs are slightly different too.

Eli which engine do you have in you 318? The 240 hp? 333? A different one? The 333 hp engine isn't even available yet is it? Did you get a euro engine? Sorry for all the questions.