Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creaking Steering?

My Cars
    BMWs galore

Question Creaking Steering?

My E36 328i, lowered on a Cup Kit and wearing 17x8 BBS RKs, has a steering mechanism that creaks from time to time -- only when I turn the wheel, and only on some days --- is it because the weather is cold? Something else?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

-AJ

My Cars
    M54,M52,EJ25
    Same problem. More of a squeak than a creak though.

330ci ZHP + ZPP + ZCW - SilberGrau on Black Heated Leather - 6MT - Adaptive+Dynamic Xenons
    328is ZPP - Black on Sand Leather - BBS RX - ZKWs
    Subaru BG Outback 5MT - Blue/Gray - WRX Wheels + Altimax Arctics

My Cars
    BMWs galore
    A buddy with an E46 said he had a similar problem, and that it was the power steering pump --- I have only 60,000 miles on my car --- just turned 60 this weekend, in fact. Does that sound like what it may be?

Any ideas? Thanks!!

-AJ

My Cars
    M54,M52,EJ25
    I'd be really surprised if it were the power steering pump. It sounds like it comes directly from behind the wheel. Too bad it's all clad in plastic so I can't put a lil drop of oil in there.

330ci ZHP + ZPP + ZCW - SilberGrau on Black Heated Leather - 6MT - Adaptive+Dynamic Xenons

My Cars
    M3.

Exactly same symptoms need help also

My 94 318is with 124K miles has this creak, it all started as a simple squeek then after a few K miles turned to creak, it does squeek when cold then creaks occasionally then afterwards.
    I have already had the slip ring replaced and a upper steering shaft bush to no avail.
    I would be grateful to find out what this can be as when the creaking occurs the steering wheel gets a little stiff aswell more when turning left.
    I dont think its the rack since the sound is just behind the steering wheel.
    Frederick

My Cars
    BMWs galore
    The creak is in the mechanism somewhere -- sounds like it's further forward in the car --- I dunno if it's the rack, or the pump --- if it -is- the rack, what would that be? Needs lube, maybe?

-AJ

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    The rack is designed not to be serviced. I had to replace mine a little after 70,000 miles.

If your sound is a somewhat high-pitched squeak that happens when you turn the wheel, the cause is likely to be the contact behind the steering wheel that carries the signals from the steering wheel to the control system of the car (horn, airbag(?)...). If it is more like a crunching sound that seems to be coming from the front of the car, it could be the rack. Mine made a crunching sound even with the front wheels in the air.

If you do need a rack, I would try www.bimmerparts.com . They had the best price when I did mine, and the remanufacturer they use is reputable.

Your best bet is to have a shop that you trust check it out for you and make a recommendation.

Good luck,
    Bernman

My Cars
    everywhere
    I wouldn't go squirting WD-40 or dripping any oil into your steering column. Many of them use a graphite lubricant or paste which doesn't play well with other lubricants.

If it is the slip ring, get some graphite or whatever BMW uses, (maybe silicone would be good). If it's the electrical contact use copper paste.

Dan is offline My real name is Charles
    My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4
    Dry ball joints?

EDIT: worn wheel bearing? looking at the bentley manual here. will check with the ETK/TIS thing tomrrow.

My Cars
    BMWs galore
    Dry ball joints --- now that sounds like a possibility. Good thinkin'.

Anyone else think that's it?

Thanks Dan

-AJ

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i, 1998 BMW 528i
    could also be in the steering shaft/u-joint linkage...there is a nut behind that clasps together the shaft to the u-joint on the steering column. it is near the firewall around where the master cylinder (brake) is. sometimes they loosen...you might want to check that it is tight...
    1998 528i
    Aspen Silver w/Gray interior
    Completely stock (at least for now)
    ---------------------------------------------
    1992 325i (For Sale)
    150K miles
    Bilstein HDs, Dinan chip, K&N

My Cars
    '01 330i
    mine does the same thing when it's cold. the mechanic told me it was a plate or something (several months ago) that could be replaced, but it was gonna cost a couple hundred bucks. he said i didn't have to replace it if i could live with the creak when it's cold. i hope this helps even though i don't remember the specifics.

cam

My Cars
    M3.

Steering column spindle

Originally posted by jb325
    could also be in the steering shaft/u-joint linkage...there is a nut behind that clasps together the shaft to the u-joint on the steering column. it is near the firewall around where the master cylinder (brake) is. sometimes they loosen...you might want to check that it is tight...

I doubt its that in my case as the UK bimmers went for recalls and mines only 10 months old, was replaced by BMW.

Same Problem...

My '95 318i developed a squeaky steering wheel in the Autumn, over the next 3 moths (6000miles) it has become a creaking noise, sounds like it is coming from the back of the steering wheel.

After reading a few articles on the web I dismantleds the steering wheel / airbag and re-greased the horn contact ring which I had been led to believe would cure the fault. It did not, with all the covers removed however I was able to locate the noise to the top of the steering column shaft, however I believe the source of the noise is near the bottom of the shaft. Planning to investigate further this weekend - Will post any positive results.:

My Cars
    BMWs galore
    Thanks - I'd like to hear what you find out, definitely.

Mine only creaks occasionally - sometimes I'll get in, and she'll creak - I'll drive down the road, not far, get out, do some shit, come back, and start her up again - voila, no creak.

Dunno.

Later,

My Cars
    Mmm
    Have you checked the power steering fluid? These cars often have a leaky hose which just requires a new clamp. However, lack of fluid would probably sound like groans, not creaks.

My Cars
    E53 X5, E36 328i
    This may sound stupid and it could just be my problem, but mine was a bit of a squeak too. It happens for about a second at a time when I turn the wheel a little. It bugs the hell out of me when I don't have the radio up loud enough to block it out so I went looking for the source one day. There a plastic piece that covers the underneath of the wheel and into the dash, well where it mets the wheel (where it turns) that plastic piece touches. So when the wheel is turned and the plastic is touching it it makes a slight squeak. I can almost feel it in my hands sometimes too. I don't know what to do to fix it tho and it seems like it just came out of the blue one day.

My Cars
    M54,M52,EJ25
    Okay my squeak has gotten CRAZY now.. took everything apart, lubed it all.. still squeaks. I don't get it..

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i, 1998 BMW 528i
    is it a squeak, or a creak? are you sure it isn't in the u-joint as I posted before? the sound could travel through the steering column and make you think it is inside the car. also, it could be at the firewall.
    1998 528i
    Aspen Silver w/Gray interior
    Completely stock (at least for now)
    ---------------------------------------------
    1992 325i (For Sale)
    150K miles
    Bilstein HDs, Dinan chip, K&N

My Cars
    08 M6 Coupe
    I swapped my steering wheel with the M3 one. I have never had any squeaking whatsoever before, but now it happens from time to time when the weather is cold. For my case, it has to be something in the steering column. It's annoying as hell.

OK, As promised, I have investigated the problem further and FIXED IT!!!! No more squeaks/creaks from the steering column. The Answer liews in a spring just inside the engine bay where the steering column enters the interior. See Pictures Below. Upon inspection I found it to be quite tarnished, A couple of blast's of WD40 and the problem has gone completely! I intend to grease it as well but the WD40 does fix the problem initially.

See photos and enjoy!!!

<p></p>

Sorry - The Photo's!

My Cars
    BMWs galore
    Hrm - Thanks for the update!! Gonna run outside and have a look at my car right now - I hope this is the answer to my squeaky problems

My Cars
    BMWs galore
    It seems that BMW, in their wisdom, has sealed that particular part of my car w/a large hose (perhaps to prevent tarnishing/corrosion ?!) ---- which I think is excellent, really. However - it means I don't get to peer at the potential squeaky part without ripping the hose apart - which I'd rather not do. I'm gonna see what I can do - maybe I can get to it and still manage to save the hose.

Thanks for the heads-up though - it's definitely a lead.

Cheers,

My Cars
    08 M6 Coupe
    Chicken - ooooh, thanks for the info. I'll take a look at it. So the creaking starts when that part starts rusting??? Seems that way with your pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast