Thread: The Proper Way to Make an HFM Plug Adapter/Extension ?

My Cars
    Lots o' m3s

The Proper Way to Make an HFM Plug Adapter/Extension ?

Well this weekends goal is to clean up all the sloppy shortcuts I made on one of the cars. Part of that plan involves fabbing up a new HFM extension harness.

The car was previously supercharged so the harness had been cut once and extended when the Dinan kit went on. So I had no fear of lopping it off once more and extending it with some extra oem wiring I had laying around (oem radio harness ). On OBD1 cars, the HFM plug does not fit directly into the Porsche 993TT HFM, instead I made it fit by clipping out some of the plastic alignment bits on the plug. It worked ok, but won't 'lock' into the harness so it comes undone every once in a while.

The work around apparently is to a) beg AA/etc to sell you one or b) fab one up using the Euro E36 headlight harness plug (pictured below). It fits perfect and 'locks' in place like it should.

So the question is, how to I go about mating the wires to the new empty plug?

- I could press out the old 'pins' from the old plug and slide them in the new one. But how's the best way to go about this? Is there a proper tool aside from some plyers and beer? Also this would add a total of 8 solder joints to the harness.

- Buy new 'pins', attach wiring, slide them in plug. Again, is there a proper tool and where do you get empty pins? If from BMW, does anyone have aprt number? This seems like it would be the best route as there would only be 4 solders on the harness this way.

The plug in question:

Thanks in advance
    SOLD -A dozen ///M3s of all shapes

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2003 GSXR-1000
    cant see the pics, but ive used plug connetors from radio shock before, to wire up my angel eyes, they work like a charm, very clean install!!!
    Mods: Carbon fiber hood, headlights with angel eyes and 14000 Kelvin HIDs, blacked out/smoked tail lights and side turning signals, smoked front corners...and thats about it
    Ohh...and some "bolt-ons" here and there........K&N air filter, m50 manifold, rouge trans mounts, a few V-band clamps, few silicon couplers....etc...etc....
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653809

My Cars
    Lots o' m3s
    SOLD -A dozen ///M3s of all shapes

My Cars
    M3
    I went to BMW, the dealer will have a part # for the plug housing. However they don't have a part# for the pins, I went to the dealer close to me and they found the exact pins with the wiring already crimped on, all I had to do was snap in the pins and connect the new wires to the existing harness on the car. When I asked the chances of them having the exact pins with the wiring pigtails already attached, they said that those pigtails are used for various applications so even though they will not be able to find them by computer using make and model, etc.. If you ask them to go through their part bins they will find them.. The dealer said they are very commonly stocked.
    Artic silver/461 RWHP/356 FT LBS TORQUE/Vortech SC 10.5 psi boost/RMS aftercooler/Wiseco forged pistons .25 over/Ported & polished head-oversized valves/Schrick cams/Euro oil cooler/Dinan TB/M-50 manifold/42 PSI injectors/Bav.Auto HP coils/U.D Pulleys/A.A race exhaust/TT tuning(Nick G)/AA race headers/ARP/Vac MS HG .098/ Porshe HFM/Koni Coilovers/18in SSR/UUC BBK/Pro Comp. Gauges/PLX wideband/Lt weight flywheel/.
    Updated dyno coming soon.

My Cars
    couple boosted bmws
    if you go to the tool dept in walmart they sell a 4 piece hook and pick set all you need to do is take the stright pick and insert into the plug the pins are held in on one side by a little metal prong

My Cars
    BMWs
    I extended mine about 9" when I was supercharged - I don't bother with all that plugging in etc. Cut and solder in the 4 or 5 wires. Heatshrink it. Wrap it in fabric tape like OEM. The end.

techno550 is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    There's an extraction tool for the pins. Its just a long tube/cylinder with a very precise ID. (pushes back the lock tabs on the pins and they just slide out.) That tool is cheap and most good electronics stores have various sizes. (I don't know what size is needed for those pins.) I'd take a pin with you for sizing.

The crimper is a fairly standard pin crimper. usually easiest found in the dsub connector isle of your local electronics depot. The good ones aren't cheap. I have one you can borrow though. There are a few others out there that i've come across that are getting less expensive. Ones without a guide, gate, or ratcheting crimp mechanism can be found for under $30
    Michael McCoy TRM