Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windshield Washer Reservoir

My Cars
    98 528i RIP, 2010 SRX

Post Windshield Washer Reservoir

Well after several annoying months of hearing the dreaded "Ding" only to discover yet again that my windshield wash reservoir is low, I decided to do something about it. There has been a leak somewhere in the system which caused the low fluid indicator to go off after just one to two days of filling.

After an exhausting search on this forum, I found very little information about the location of the reservoir in an e39, so I've decided to post up some pics and this little DIY of the project.

First off, you've got to jack the front passenger side and remove the wheel. (Please use a jack stand to support the vehicle) Then remove the inside fender panel using an 8mm socket on all the fasteners. There are also three "push locks" at the rear edge of the fender well. After breaking the first one, I pulled back the liner, reache in and pushed them out from the inside with a small screwdriver.

This photo shows the location of the reservoir with panel removed:

Pull off the fill hose and carefully disconnect the washer line from the pump(located at the bottom left of the next photo). Disconnect both electrical connections and clip the zip tie (if there is one) holding the wires to the reservoir. Remove the two bolts holding it with a 10mm socket, then simply pull forward to remove.

Photo 2:

Drain any remaining fluid into a clean container or discard if it is dirty. To remove the pump and level sensor from the reservoir, simply slide them out slowly. The pump should have a blue plastic screen on the end which may come off. Just shake it out of the tank to retrieve.

Clean the entire tank, inside and out, with a soapy water solution or mild degreaser. Perform a leak test on the tank. Simply plug all the holes with your fingers and blow hard!! Do the same leak test on the pump by plugging the outlet and blowing on the inlet. I discovered that my pump was leaking slightly at the housing connection. Rather than purchase a new pump, I simply covered the joint with plumber's teflon tape, then covered that with black electrical tape. The final photo, although blurry, shows the finished product re-installed.

Washer pump:

While you've got everything out, take the time to clean all the fittings and check for tears, etc. I used a little silicone spray to clean all the rubber grommets and used a dab of KY jelly to create a better seal. I also used a zip tie to fasten the fill tube to the tank as there was nothing before and it was a bit loose. Go ahead and clean the fender liner while you're at it with a good degreaser.

Installation is reverse of removal. I suggest a leak test before putting the liner back in. It's been 5 days and no leaks yet!!! BTW all photos were taken post fix.

Total time: 30-45 min.
    Cost - $0-$2
    Have Fun!

Edit: Still leaked from my "patch" but not nearly as bad. Did not realize how cheap the pump was, so I bought one and replaced it. No more leaky!
    Last edited by Jamaican71; 12-04-2007 at 10:56 PM.
    9/30/2007 - 200,000 Miles!
    11/29/10 - 300,000 miles and counting! 4/10/2012 - 332,635! 01/14/2013 - 350,000 miles! 10/25/15 - 395,872 End of the Road
    Never explain yourself... Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway!

My Cars
    BMW 528i

Best instructions to replace washer pump

I had the same problem. Followed the instructions and it is fxed now.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    That KY jelly works wonders doesn't it? Use only a DAB! Wouldn't wanna waste too much on the car!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    Live the Yuppie life, drive the Yuppie car, pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, but like to pose as a Yuppie? Pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, don't make the Yuppie income, but like the Yuppie car? Be quiet and learn to get your hands dirty.

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican71 View Post
    used a dab of KY jelly to create a better seal.
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    e39 540ia
    whats the metal tube coming out of the side for?

My Cars
    1999 528i, 1988 535i
    Thanks for the picture shoot. I had the leak and that's what I did at first, but the leak was actually around the grommet seal inside the pump. I recommend to those who have a leak of WW fluid, buy a new pump for $25 to install before taking all this apart. (I had to take the thing apart 3 times to get it right.)

Best,
    RonH
    Last edited by RonaldH; 11-21-2006 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clarification

My Cars
    '00 528i, '01 M3
    Excellent DIY, thank you very much. I was dreading doing this but now after seeing its simplicity, its no big deal. Thanks again.
    Leave the gun, take the canoli...

My Cars
    E30, E39, E90
    Same here. The one in our 528i is leaking and needs to be fixed. These instructions will definitely come in handy!

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    Mine's leaking but I think it's the hose that connects to the washer motor. For the time being I just turned the sensor upsidedown. Fortunately an e34's reservoir is right there behind the airbox.

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by tominos View Post
    whats the metal tube coming out of the side for?
    That thing ain't metal. Look at the closeup. That's the filler tube.

My Cars
    07 335i Cabrio 6speed
    Wow great thread, wish there were threads like this FOR EVERYTHING ON THE E39!! that would be SOOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. And to the KY jelly perv. HAHAHAHAHA that was funne =]

My Cars
    '88 M3 '72 2002

awesome!

Great thread. I used this to replace the motor, i havnt had a problem with a leaky resevior...yet...hah. thanks a bunch mate.

chris
    Chris Hallissy
    Suffolk, VA
    1972 Sahara /// 2002 (6/71)
    1988 Red /// M3 (1/88)

My Cars
    E36 Arktissilber 328is /
    Our E39 has been buggin me for this washer fluid draining issue. Every time after I would fill it up, it leaks to empty and leaves the blue puddle of pee on the floor. Very annoying.

I needed to get this fixed before winter and I found your thread. Thank you for a great writeup!
    tech junkie
    DD: 2009 Spacegrau Metallic e60 550i ///M-Sport | Cruiser: 2008 Titansilber e65 750i | DE: 1996 Arktisilber e36 328is - not street-legal in TX thanks to some random mods
    Retired DD: 1998 Alpinweiß II e39 528i | Retired Grocery Getter: 1999 Metallic-blau e46 323i
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=4e474a2ab9

My Cars
    97' 540i/6SPD
    I have the same problem. I fixed all the leak. Tested the pump. No electrical signal going to the pump. Checked the fuses. They are good. What else can I check? Please help.

Thanks,

My Cars
    '01 530i sport
    Thanks for the great writeup with Pics! When I fill mine to the top, an amount of fluid roughly equal to what would be in the filler tube leaks out. My headlight washer pump split around it's perimeter, I used two-part epoxy around it and it's been perfect. I'm usually a "replace it" guy, but I had to try it.

Now, to track down the source of the steering wheel rake grinding now that I have the knee-pad and lower column shroud removed. Of course, now it's become intermittant and currently not making the noise...

My Cars
    BMW E39 520, Honda S2000
    Hi from a n00b!

This is a great thread, and I'll be trying out this procedure in the next few days. My only nagging doubt is that in my case, I have washer fluid leaking from IN FRONT of the wheel, i.e. in quite a different place from where the pump/reservoir is. And I don't have headlamp washers either, so it can't be that. Hopefully I'll figure out what's amiss when I get it apart. Thanks again for taking the time to write this up.

[Not-allowed-to-use-smilies-on-the-BB-yet-so-this'll-have-to-do:-ThumbsUp-smilie-substitute]

My Cars
    525TDS
    Great thread friend,i used this to replace the electric pump thanks

My Cars
    BMW 525it, BMW 528it, BMW 2002, Alfa 1750GT Veloce
    I hope this gets some answers...

My problem - Chime constantly ringing when I turn the ignition on. Attempting to fill the tank always foiled as the level rises to the top after about a litre of fluid has been poured in.

I've removed the liner, and removed the fill tube from the reservoir to make sure its not blocked - and its not. After re-connecting it, I've tried to fill it in parts. As I jiggle the fill tube, there seems to be a hissing sound indicating that I am allowing air to escape from the tank and slowly (and fiddly) I am able to fill the tank. Question - is there a tank breather somewhere that might be blocked?

This is driving me nuts.

My Cars
    BMW 528i E39 Sedan 1998

Professor Water Pump

No, there is no breather tube. I've done this 5 (yes 5,lol) times now. They should call me Professor Water Pump.
    The problem is that the pumps all develop a horizontal split that lets the water out but does not disable the pump.
    Go to pelicanparts.com and order a new pump and the washer that goes under the pump. You will have it in 5 working days.
    I put mine in yesterday and all is perfect.

My Cars
    2002 530

lose of suction

Gents, (and ladies)

I seem to experience a reoccuring problem in that if I don't let my washer
    reservoir go completely dry then all is well, however, if I let it get to the
    bottom, even though I re-fill it, it seems to lose suction and acts as if
    if needs priming before it will work again. Problem is I'm not sure if
    priming is the real solution and don't know how to do that even if it is the solution. The motor runs like crazy but no water comes out, even thought it is full.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

My Cars
    2000 528i

DSC light question

MY DSC light is on and won't go away. Can the car pass inspection with the DSC light on???
    Using this forum could you save you a ton of money.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by mam544 View Post
    No, there is no breather tube. I've done this 5 (yes 5,lol) times now. They should call me Professor Water Pump.
    The problem is that the pumps all develop a horizontal split that lets the water out but does not disable the pump.
    Go to pelicanparts.com and order a new pump and the washer that goes under the pump. You will have it in 5 working days.
    I put mine in yesterday and all is perfect.
    Hello guys,

First of all, my Container is slightly different than what Jamaican71 showed in his great write-up (Thanks!):

Second, I removed the liner and found out that there are 2 places where it is leaking from:

- Breather Tube (leaking right away)

- Underneath Wash Pump (just dripping).

I will try now to clean Container and most likely use Blue Silicon for the Wash Pump gasket to stop leak.

But what am I supposed to do with that Breather Tube?

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    You could get the OEM replacement...
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...50&hg=61&fg=45

..., but it would save you a bit of money to remove the length of tubing and go to a hardware store instead (if there aren't any special connectors or the like which there does not appear to be).
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 09-05-2009 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    You could get the OEM replacement...
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...50&hg=61&fg=45

..., but it would save you a bit of money to remove the length of tubing and go to a hardware store instead (if there aren't any special connectors or the like which there does not appear to be).
    thanks man,

I ve been there (www.realoem.com) thousand times. Practically first place where I am going to if I have any issue. Great site!

No, really, what I am trying to ask is there any way I can close that Breather Tube or is it intended to be open?

It (Breather Tube) runs high enough and along wheel openning behind a fender, so it leaks only if you fill Washer Fluid up to the top.

As for my problem with leaking, I fixed it (and I think permanently) with Blue RTV Silicone (same as I used for my Thermostat)...

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by siny528i View Post
    thanks man,

I ve been there (www.realoem.com) thousand times. Practically first place where I am going to if I have any issue. Great site!

No, really, what I am trying to ask is there any way I can close that Breather Tube or is it intended to be open?

It (Breather Tube) runs high enough and along wheel openning behind a fender, so it leaks only if you fill Washer Fluid up to the top.

As for my problem with leaking, I fixed it (and I think permanently) with Blue RTV Silicone (same as I used for my Thermostat)...
    I wouldn't seal it or block it in any way. It'll create a vacuum and the motor will not be able to send the fluid to the windshield.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast