Thread: Which to buy: 1995 325i or 1996 328i?

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3/4

Which to buy: 1995 325i or 1996 328i?

Hi guys! Well I'm about to purchase my first bimmer (whoohoo, yeah I'm only in college, so definetly not too late ). But anyways, I've done tons of research and I believe either a 95 or 96 would be my best bet.

However, I can't seem to decide between the two.

If I go with the 1995 325i, it would be a little cheaper and have ODBI, however, I've heard the rear bumper tends to rust out and there a few problems with it.

Compared to the 95, the 1996 328i is more solid in design, does not have that rust problem in the rear, and is of course newer. However, this one is ODBII.

See the dilemna? Any thoughts? Price isn't really an issue, what I see of more of an issue is the rust problem and ODBI verse ODBII.

Any comments on the rust issue? Over exaggerating here? What about ODBI verse ODBII? Of course I want to do the standard mods (chip, intake, exhuast), along with new suspension, and probably a few other things. Will ODBII limit me too much?

Thanks for the help.

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    of course the 328 is quicker stock, but with the mods u plan on you can easily get 328 speed with just a intake chip and exhaust.
    obdII is very limiting. cantuse a chip, just software that doesnt do much like a nice chip will.

where have you heard of rear bumpers rusting. if it is 95's then it is in 96's also. never heard much about it and i havent got the problem in my '93

M3 cams *UUC stage II lwfw w////M5 clutch *JC cam & lwfw chip *ECIS intake *Bosal cat back *UUC udp's *M3 3.15lsd *M3 shifter *H&R & Bilstein sport *E46 M3 rsm *Z3 rein4c plates *Depo DDE's *Zender lp *M3 spoiler *M3 moldings * M3 mirrors *billetwerks *jbl/mtx sub system
    '04 G35 sedan 5AT all stock

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3/4
    I got the info on the rust problem from a reliable source over on Pelican Boards Doesn't affect 96s, since they were made out of different material. This makes sense though... 96 saw the migration over to the 328i.

See that is where my dilemna started. Still can't decide 95 or 96. But I have been leaning towards 96 ... just need that final "push" so I can get started on the search for one

Didn't realize the chip problem... hmmm, which would perform better though:

95 325i with chip, intake, exhaust
    96 328i intake, exhaust

I could have sworn I read that even though the 328 should be faster, it actually turned out to have the same HP, 189, as the 325, because of new restrictions on the exhaust (hence OBDII, to conform with stricter pollution laws).

Or am I wrong?

My Cars
    BMW Z3 Supercharged
    HP is nearly the same (I think the 325 is 179) but the 328 has significantly more torque, thus equaling faster real world performance.

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    theyre hp is a 1hp difference. the 325 has 189. the torque is just greater on the 328, by about 20, meaning stock it's faster.
    a chip, intake and exhaust 325 will beat a intake and exhaust 328, ive done it a few times already with a few 328's here with the above mods, but it also comes down to driver. a lot of states with floods, or lots of rain can create rust problems for almost any car.

M3 cams *UUC stage II lwfw w////M5 clutch *JC cam & lwfw chip *ECIS intake *Bosal cat back *UUC udp's *M3 3.15lsd *M3 shifter *H&R & Bilstein sport *E46 M3 rsm *Z3 rein4c plates *Depo DDE's *Zender lp *M3 spoiler *M3 moldings * M3 mirrors *billetwerks *jbl/mtx sub system
    '04 G35 sedan 5AT all stock

My Cars
    F10 550i 6 Speed
    jesd325, have you run any 328s with intake/exhaust/shark injector? I'm wondering if the sharp injector'll do much for me beside the rev limiter and speed limiter stuff...

m3avrck, I have a '96 328i and I love it. There are a few other differences.

95's have the grey colored bumpers and side moldings or whatever (which you can paint the same color as your car)...

they also don't have the digital climate control (But to tell you the truth, my dual zone digital climate control doesn't work all that well... seems like it doesn't matter that you have different temperatures on each side... still blows the same amount of air and same temperature) ...

Will most likely have more mileage.. Value might not hold as well as a 328 (not sure, just speculating)...

Either way, both cars are awesome, and you're gonna love either one. I bought my 328 without really researching into OBDI/OBDII differences and i just wanted the stock 207 lb-ft torque and <6.5 0-60 times.... If you're not going FI though, I don't think that OBD difference will really matter since you won't need any tuning with the typical bolt-ons.
    Roman
    F10 2011 550i Sport 6 speed
    E46 2005 ZHP Sedan 6 speed (for sale)
    E36 1996 328i Sport