Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf 1.8t gets owned by E36 M3 'vert

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth

Golf 1.8t gets owned by E36 M3 'vert

Coming back from work tonight, I get on the highway from a light. I accelerate briskly as I want to get home quick. In my rear view, I see a nice Steel Grey-esque Golf 1.8t I had spotted at the light, appeared stock.

As I see him get closer to me, I downshift to 4th to get a little more juice. I get on it to halt his momentum, but nothing crazy as I'm doing 140km/h, and I know that the next curve is one I nearly lost my Z3 in doing 150km/h, when it was slammed and on S-03s. My suspension and brakes are shot, and my tires suck, so I'm going cautiously.

I'm in the right lane and I see him try to pass me in the left one. As I'm actually halting his momentum at that moment, I jump in his lane, which he probably interpreted as me cutting him off, as I had to brake right after that to avoid getting too close to the car in front of me. Remember, my brakes are dead, so braking distances are crazy long.

So anyway, I accelerate away from him after traffic clears, but as I slow down when I approach other cars (again, no real hard braking on my part), that jackass dives in the right lane, passes me, then dive back between me and the car in front, even tho there was barely enough room for a Mini.

He not only almost rammed the poor lady in the Civic in front, he nearly took my front fender in the process. I honked, and he started gesticulating, clearly indicating he was retaliating for my previous move. I flashed my high beams, and rev-matched to third.

As soon as the car in front of him cleared, he floored it, and so did I. I started gaining immediately, letting off the throttle like 3 times to avoid ramming his bumper (I was afraid he'd hit the brakes, that bastard). In the next right hander, he was in the left lane, and I dove to the inside and passed him. After that, he tried to catch up, but every time he did, I'd keep it floored and halt his momentum, then distance him. He even passed a lady on the shoulder to catch me... Guess playing him like a yo-yo didn't please him too much.

Oh well... ironically, he had the upper hand in braking and in the twisties I'm sure, but in the end, he never caught me, and drove like an ass, while I managed to stay in front while driving aggressively, but safely.
    Last edited by Hugo; 08-16-2006 at 09:59 PM.

1999 Cosmos Black/Dove Grey BMW ///M3 convertible - 5 speed - SOLD

2005 Atlantic Blue Pearl/Taupe Leather Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon - 5 speed
    - SOLD

2014 Tenorite Grey/Black Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 - bone stock.

2013 Bianco/Rosso Abarth 500c - 5 speed

2016 Oxford White/Grey Ford Transit 250 Powerstroke 148 MR (DIY RV conversion)

My Cars
    2007 328i, 2004 R1150r
    stop picking on golfs.

but then again, he was the one at fault...

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    i raced one tonight, i won cause there wasn't enough road for the guy's turbo to spool up....

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    Quote Originally Posted by kam328i View Post
    i raced one tonight, i won cause there wasn't enough road for the guy's turbo to spool up....
    You'd have beat him anyway. 328s are a good match for 1.8ts.

vdubkid, I repsect those cars. They respond well to mods and are nicely balanced.

The new 2.0t is great. My buddy in a Jetta has one, great engine. I beat him, but not that easily. Awesome sound too.

- SOLD

My Cars
    '11 Mustang 5.0
    how big was his turbo?

or did you guys just race short distances? i am no doubting your kill, but i am just wondering b/c a stock k03 is pretty small.

My Cars
    '90 325is S50, '91 325iX

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by gti1689 View Post
    how big was his turbo?

or did you guys just race short distances? i am no doubting your kill, but i am just wondering b/c a stock k03 is pretty small.
    beats me , i dont know a whole lot about vw's, my friend just told me a second ago that 1.8t's have limited lag... i just assumed that this guy would smoke me. there was a red light up ahead so were forced to end our fun early...
    Last edited by kam328i; 08-17-2006 at 12:28 AM.

My Cars
    '04 GTI 1.8T
    Always picking on the 1.8T's. That's okay, for a long time I was always picking on the M3's even though they were not nearly a fair match.

BTW, a bunch of you asked how long a 1.8T with stock internals and about 320whp would last...43,000 miles.

I am currently building a 2.0T on a built valvetrain/bottom end with a GT35R. 500 whp here I come...I'll keep you posted.
    VW GTI 1.8T GT2871R Turbo, 3" Piping, and other goodies in a 2600 lb car

My Cars
    M7, 733i 3.5, 735i, Bav
    Oh, pleeze! I beat a 1.8T Jetta with my Jetta TDI wagon (with chip and larger injectors) going from 70 to 110. I do have about 230 lbs of torque...

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyBlankenshp View Post
    Oh, pleeze! I beat a 1.8T Jetta with my Jetta TDI wagon (with chip and larger injectors) going from 70 to 110. I do have about 230 lbs of torque...

Ah yes, chipped diesel cars... I'm having wet dreams about a diesel engine in my 4Runner...

- SOLD

My Cars
    E36M3 SC,CIVIC TURb0
    good kill
    ///M3 Supercharged

MY OTHER CAR IS A HONDA WITH NAZZZ!
    oh did i mention vtec and goes phisssssssh.........

My Cars
    88 300ZX, 94 Altima
    Good story, RARE around here! Sounds like the guy was an idiot, though.

http://www.last.fm/user/AzzMan/ | Talk to me about music
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonpturner
    I challenge you right now to out dress me.

My Cars
    e90 with Cobb, H&R, more
    So let me get this straight, you're racing somebody on public roads in what sounds like decent traffic with brakes that are shot? Wow, that shows a lot of concern for other drivers.....
    Scott
    fast = good
    slow = bad
    See my old Porsche here...

My Cars
    95 Cosmos M3...
    Quote Originally Posted by AzzMan View Post
    Good story, RARE around here! Sounds like the guy was an idiot, though.
    +1

My Cars
    88 300ZX, 94 Altima
    Quote Originally Posted by teflonjones View Post
    So let me get this straight, you're racing somebody on public roads in what sounds like decent traffic with brakes that are shot? Wow, that shows a lot of concern for other drivers.....
    Maybe I missed something but it sounds like he was playing with the Golf, not even really racing.

My Cars
    F-150, CB500F, ES 350
    sounds like golf driver was not cool. good tease though

My Cars
    08' M3, 06' 545, 07' carrera 4s
    Yeah it does sound like the golf driver couldnt fit his big head in his door. Good kill hugo - Just get your brakes and suspension done we dont want a "Member in hospital" thread.

My Cars
    96 cosmos m3
    its ok for an m3 driver to cut people off , just not the other way around ...
    nice run , sounds like hugo needs to do some maintenence ... =p

No more M3, driving a Camry TuRD

My Cars
    88 300ZX, 94 Altima
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom3 View Post
    its ok for an m3 driver to cut people off , just not the other way around ...
    nice run , sounds like hugo needs to do some maintenence ... =p
    It's not ok for an M3 driver to cut people off, it's ok for them to overtake other people really fast though.

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    1. I didn't cut him off, but I understand how he could've interpreted it this way. He, however, nearly hit two cars cutting ME off, mine and some old lady.

2. Yeah, my brakes are shot, but I know about it. The amount of risk I take is proportional, therefore no lives are endangered.

- SOLD

My Cars
    E34 530i 5 speed
    What hobbles those cars, stock, is that the FWD with the weight transfer to the rear on takeoff. Dang, I once lost a race to a Beretta when I raced one in my 1.8T GTI 6 years ago. Learn my lesson in launch technique for FWD

Both sold. Now: Black 94 E34 530i-5sp

My Cars
    '94 325IS '95 Capala SS '91 318IS

Buhuwaaaaa

And he managed to stay in front, while driving aggressively, but safely.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    BAN
    ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My Cars
    BEING SLOW**GOTTA PROBLEM**
    Was it a Jetta 1.8t or GTI 1.8t, if 1.8t i dont really see that happening to easy & the 1.8t's are running a small turbo kit stock so they do spool up very fast, its not like racing a T-78 single turbo supra or something.
    SINBIMMERS

My Cars
    BEING SLOW**GOTTA PROBLEM**
    Quote Originally Posted by desertfx41 View Post
    Always picking on the 1.8T's. That's okay, for a long time I was always picking on the M3's even though they were not nearly a fair match.

BTW, a bunch of you asked how long a 1.8T with stock internals and about 320whp would last...43,000 miles.

I am currently building a 2.0T on a built valvetrain/bottom end with a GT35R. 500 whp here I come...I'll keep you posted.
    How's your traction on your Golf from a dead stop hehe..
    SINBIMMERS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast