Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: True or False

My Cars
    97 M3/4, 07 Tahoe

Question True or False

Read somewhere that you could run a directional tire backwards in the dry. (tire in case is a P7000SS)

Only reason I would consider this is I have some tires that may or may not make it through a driving course I have coming up in July. I would rather use the DE to end the tires life than shorten my new tires career. Obviously This way I could swap sides so the camber worn areas would be to the outside.

I'm running 235/40s all around on 7.5s

New tires will probably be 235s fr and 245s r on 17x8s and 17x9s.

TIA
    97 Alpinweiss M3/4 5spd

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heoric hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to see, to find, and not to yield.
    - Tennyson, "Ulysses"

My Cars
    2003 530i
    as i recall, you can run directionals backward in snow. from the couple of times that i've driven cars with backward directionals in the dry, i think it's created funky braking and handling characteristics. also, there may be an issue with put the strain on the tire one direction for so many tens of thousands of miles, and then suddenly reversing it and trying to put the strain the other way. any tire experts out there?

My Cars
    E30 M3 E39 M5

Sometimes true

I know that you can run Toyo RA 1 dot tires any way you want. The tread pattern is designed for the rain. So if it is dry no problem. I have done this and have confirmed it with Thomas Okihisa of Toyo Tires.

I would contact the manufacturer first before changing the direction. When you talk to someone at Pirelli, make sure it is an engineer, not just a customer service rep.

Jordan

directionality is only for pumping water out of the tread. No difference in the ply of the tire.

but if your tires are worn on the inside, flipping them to the other side of the car will still have the worn parts on the inside. You'd have to have them remounted with the worn part on the outside, and then you could even have the directionality right.

My Cars
    97 M3/4, 07 Tahoe
    *smacks himself in the head repeatedly* duh.

Don't know how I was figuring the worn side would not still be on the inside - must have been the monday factor. Thanks everyone, I don't think the remounting costs will be work the additional life I will get. Unless I knew someone or they cut me a deal. I could ask. Thanks.
    97 Alpinweiss M3/4 5spd

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heoric hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to see, to find, and not to yield.
    - Tennyson, "Ulysses"