Thread: e36 328is vs. mustang GT convertable

My Cars
    '04 M3, '03 Suburban

e36 328is vs. mustang GT convertable

So i was down the shore this past week with my 328is w/ cat back and a CAI. I haven't raced someone i don't know in a while so i was itching to find someone down there. This is how it went down. Me, my girlfriend, and my best friend in my car on the main strip of the island when i saw this red mustang GT convertable (2001 body style) with white stripes right up on my ass. YESS!! i thought to myself, Finally. The guy comes up next to me and taunts me. I look at the car and see 2, 12 year old looking kids in the car, which at that time told me not to race him...The guy keeps revving his motor at me till finally my girlfriends says "just take him.." (now thats a girlfriend). We both come to a light next to eachother. The light turns green and we race till the end of second...We were both right next to eachother the whole time with me not launching my car. Again we come to another light. This time i launch my car at 2000 rpms. And again we only race till the end of second. I was a half a car legnth in front of him that time...WOW i thought to myself. He pulls up next to me after we raced and gave me that "my mustang GT just lost to a BMW" grin on...and off we went.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325is
    good job teach them mustangs

My Cars
    '14 Grand Cherokee
    nice run, sounds fun. but that look isnt anything as bad as the "i just lost to a saturn look" it goes something like this. lol

My Cars
    2009 135i
    you should probably race someone who actually knows how to drive...cuz then this outcome wouldn't have happened

or maybe it was an auto?
    Last edited by Tochenzo; 08-13-2006 at 06:48 PM.

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

My Cars
    '96 ///M 328i
    Nice Kill. I acutally came across a 2000ish mustang GT convertible today, but he wanted no part in racing. I wondered what would have happened.
    Back on the Boards...New Pic Coming Soon!
    OEM staggered LTWs|Bilstein BTS Kit|Depo Ellipsoids
    |6000k ProLumen HIDs|Predator Chromiums|///M Front Bumper|///M Mirrors|///M Moldings|///M Diffuser|Cosmosv2|B&B Tri-flo w/DTM tips
    4>2 Member #2

My Cars
    2009 135i
    probably would have lost...but could have been close

My Cars
    '11 Mustang 5.0
    this forum seems to go through phases in terms of kills

someone posts a kill story on a certain model of car, in this case the mustang, and then there are 23847 other threads about bimmers that beat mustangs but shouldn't. half of them are b/s.

btw, auto mustang convertibles run 15.2's. good kill

EDIT: i find it even more funny that the OP has one post and his two cars are the 328 and a 318 race car.

My Cars
    '14 Grand Cherokee
    i dont really see whats so funny. maybe he just likes reading the stories, or just hasnt had much to post. and if it was an auto he should have won. last i checked a 328is runs around a 14.7.

My Cars
    2009 135i
    it's funny because a mustang gt has 260hp/300tq stock and a 328 has 190hp/210tq stock, both with 3 passengers, yes even if the gt was a vert it will still rape a stock 328, especially from a dig with all that torque (unless like i stated earlier he was an incredibly shitty driver), plus the poster said that the gt owner continued to rev at him when they were rolling, which makes it seem more like a manual than an auto

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan
    ^^ Wow you seem to be a big supporter of mustangs. I think you give them a little too much credit

My Cars
    2009 135i
    well it's because i have friends who have modded mustangs and i know it takes more than intake and exhaust to be able to hang with one

My Cars
    '04 M3, '03 Suburban
    Quote Originally Posted by gti1689 View Post
    this forum seems to go through phases in terms of kills

someone posts a kill story on a certain model of car, in this case the mustang, and then there are 23847 other threads about bimmers that beat mustangs but shouldn't. half of them are b/s.

btw, auto mustang convertibles run 15.2's. good kill

EDIT: i find it even more funny that the OP has one post and his two cars are the 328 and a 318 race car.
    yes it was an auto...and i have made threads on this page but as a different name...so this technicly isn't my "first one". As far as my 318 race car goes.... it's very underpowered...but when your smoking audi's and 911's around limerock and everyone thinks it's a 6 cyl. it gives you some laughs...

My Cars
    '04 M3, '03 Suburban
    Quote Originally Posted by Tochenzo View Post
    it's funny because a mustang gt has 260hp/300tq stock and a 328 has 190hp/210tq stock, both with 3 passengers, yes even if the gt was a vert it will still rape a stock 328, especially from a dig with all that torque (unless like i stated earlier he was an incredibly shitty driver), plus the poster said that the gt owner continued to rev at him when they were rolling, which makes it seem more like a manual than an auto
    the motor was revving...like he would hit the gas and back off...hit the back and let off...sorry for the misunderstanding...

My Cars
    M3,01 Supercharged Saleen, 323is(R.I.P)
    328's run 14.7's? that seems hard to believe. true?

My Cars
    '04 M3, '03 Suburban
    Quote Originally Posted by Werked323is View Post
    328's run 14.7's? that seems hard to believe. true?
    True...if you get a good launch...they'll do it
    2007 Tahoe- Daily
    2004 M3- Weekend car
    1995 M3- BMWCCA C-Mod

My Cars
    M3,01 Supercharged Saleen, 323is(R.I.P)
    thats awful close to m3 times isnt it?

My Cars
    E46, RT, Avalanche
    Quote Originally Posted by Tochenzo View Post
    i know it takes more than intake and exhaust to be able to hang with one

+1 I'm with you on this one.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

My Cars
    bmw 328is '96
    Well, Honestly, it's not as bad as you think. From a dig yes... a 328is is not going to beat a GT, however the lost is not nearly as bad as some think. On the freeway I held one back well into the 100's. He never gained I never pulled. This happened on IH35 coming back from Austin. We hit traffic and he manuvered in front and we ran 'em again, and he never pulled well into the 100's again. Downlow they are good cars, on the topend nothing to be scared about. Oh yeah my car was stock 328is 5spd, his was a 5spd GTlooked like an '01-03 and he had a passenger (girl).

My Cars
    1991 mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxpowrbmw View Post
    So i was down the shore this past week with my 328is w/ cat back and a CAI. I haven't raced someone i don't know in a while so i was itching to find someone down there. This is how it went down. Me, my girlfriend, and my best friend in my car on the main strip of the island when i saw this red mustang GT convertable (2001 body style) with white stripes right up on my ass. YESS!! i thought to myself, Finally. The guy comes up next to me and taunts me. I look at the car and see 2, 12 year old looking kids in the car, which at that time told me not to race him...The guy keeps revving his motor at me till finally my girlfriends says "just take him.." (now thats a girlfriend). We both come to a light next to eachother. The light turns green and we race till the end of second...We were both right next to eachother the whole time with me not launching my car. Again we come to another light. This time i launch my car at 2000 rpms. And again we only race till the end of second. I was a half a car legnth in front of him that time...WOW i thought to myself. He pulls up next to me after we raced and gave me that "my mustang GT just lost to a BMW" grin on...and off we went.
    This sounds very possible to me if it was on auto, and even if it is manual, these cars are hard to launch with stock gearing, my friends dad had one for like 3 years, he couldnt get the launch down. But if it had a good launch they are capable of low 14s.

My Cars
    1991 mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdone View Post
    Well, Honestly, it's not as bad as you think. From a dig yes... a 328is is not going to beat a GT, however the lost is not nearly as bad as some think. On the freeway I held one back well into the 100's. He never gained I never pulled. This happened on IH35 coming back from Austin. We hit traffic and he manuvered in front and we ran 'em again, and he never pulled well into the 100's again. Downlow they are good cars, on the topend nothing to be scared about. Oh yeah my car was stock 328is 5spd, his was a 5spd GTlooked like an '01-03 and he had a passenger (girl).
    328 can keep up at the launch, i have a 91 5.0 with a three link and have a friend with a 328, and he can easily keep with me at the launch, but often he does not because he does not have lsd.