Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best suspension setup for my m-roadster?

My Cars
    2020 M4CS

best suspension setup for my m-roadster?

what's the best suspension setup for my m-roadster...

price isn't a great concern as long as it's a kick ass setup

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    A bit off topic, but I have to ask whether you can actually drive the roadster in your signature down the road? I mean, if it were any lower, the front spolier would be dragging. You must live in a very flat well paved town with no driveways or speed bumps.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Best suspension: TC Kline coil-over (front) with double adjustable Koni shocks; 450 Lb front springs/500 Lb rear springs.

At shock settings of 25% firm, it actually gives a better ride comfort than stock and corners much flatter. Also less dip and dive when accelerating and braking.

I installed that setup on a few cars for other people and was so impressed that I had to buy one for myself!

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
    A bit off topic, but I have to ask whether you can actually drive the roadster in your signature down the road? I mean, if it were any lower, the front spolier would be dragging. You must live in a very flat well paved town with no driveways or speed bumps.
    its a pchop. someone mentioned that in another thread he had

ECIS Intake:M50 Manifold:Supersprint:Bilstein/H&R Sport:RE RSM:WSM:MZ3 Front Bumper:3.73 LSD
    Waiting List: IE Bushings

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Best suspension: TC Kline coil-over (front) with double adjustable Koni shocks; 450 Lb front springs/500 Lb rear springs.

At shock settings of 25% firm, it actually gives a better ride comfort than stock and corners much flatter. Also less dip and dive when accelerating and braking.

I installed that setup on a few cars for other people and was so impressed that I had to buy one for myself!
    how does this compare to the bilstein/ hr sport combo?

ECIS Intake:M50 Manifold:Supersprint:Bilstein/H&R Sport:RE RSM:WSM:MZ3 Front Bumper:3.73 LSD

My Cars
    2020 M4CS

hey randy could you give me some more details on a model number/where to buy? thanks man

My Cars
    Mcoupe 1999, Delsol 93
    man dont rice a roadster...

My Cars
    2020 M4CS
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswbl View Post
    man dont rice a roadster...
    what do you mean by that? i didn't know setting up a good track suspension was "ricing" out a bmw?

i can't be the first to mod a bimmer?

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe; '01 Volvo V70 T-5; '01 Duc Monster S4
    I've got a NEW pair of TC Kline 500# rear barrell type springs for sale....$165 including shipping.

My Cars
    01 M Roadster. 98 M3

I am seriously thinking about going down the path that Randy suggests. I've accumulated some of the peripheral parts, but I haven't spent the big money yet.
    phrider
    2001 Titanium Silver M Roadster with hardtop
    1998 Titanium Silver E36 M3 Coupe
    Former cars: Saab 900 Turbo, Rabbit, 1967 Chevy II, 1951 Packard Ultramatic Coupe (0-60 in under 0.3 minutes)

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    The "best" suspension? whats do you want it to be the best at?

I want it to be the best possible handling car that I can drive on the street and get me around a course the fastest and still be somewhat affordable.

I bought TC Kline doube adjustable coilovers with 500# front and 600# shorty rear and followed their recommendations for setting up baseline numbers on the shocks. It completely transformed the car and took me from "middle of the pack" to consistant top 10% raw times at local event and even a FTD or 2.

I have a set of TC Kline 500# "shorty" rear srpings for the rear if anyone is interested. 100+shipping. THe 500# springs were great, but I tinker and decided totry the 600# with no rear bar and have been pleased, but some peope may not want 600#.
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I have the Ground Control setup. I couldn't be happier. But the TC Kline is just fine.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    2020 M4CS
    thanks for the suggestions!

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    Someone should do bags on the roadster.
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    99 ///M Coupe / 95 Del sol / 95 Jeep XJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    Someone should do bags on the roadster.
    P-Chop of bags on my Coupe

Don't thing I'll be going that route though...

My Cars
    M Roadster
    daaannnng...... that's phat yooo
    Estoril Blue M Roadster
    Modifications: Dinan - CAI, Software, CF Engine Cover

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe Monkey View Post
    P-Chop of bags on my Coupe

Don't thing I'll be going that route though...

My Cars
    '00 Z3MC, '15 4Runner

... And if you tighten it up a click or two, you can get it to handle VERY neutral. Mmm, TCK.
    2000 Z3M Coupe, Cosmos Black, Supercharged: Randy Forbes' magic subframe kit, Vortech/Dinan Supercharger, TCKlien DA front and rear suspension, TCKlien Camber Plates, H&R front sway, Clutchmasters FX300 w/LW steel FW, UUC tranny mount brace, UUC SS clutch line with CDV delete, Turner Shorty Headers, B&B TriFlo exhaust, SS brake lines, dual-ear E36 M3 diff, IE subframe bushings, Whalen Shift Machine and E-brake handle, PLX DM100 gauge+sensors, aftermarket audio, Apex wheel studs, and even a Euro glovebox/driver's side knee panel swap

SOLD
    2006 Z4M Coupe, Sepang Bronze:
    Stromung exhaust, DFK Section 1 w/resonators, RPI ram air intake, and Whalen Shift Machine.

"BMW - Designed by Germans, driven by tossers." --Jeremy Clarkson

BMW CCA #375064

My Cars
    '00 Z3MC, '15 4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by tonymasone View Post
    hey randy could you give me some more details on a model number/where to buy? thanks man

TC Klein DA coilovers:
    http://www.tcklineracing.com/suspension.htm
    TC Klien Front Camber Plates + TCK Rear Shock Mounts : http://www.tcklineracing.com/monoball.htm

Really, all you need to do is call up TC Kline and tell them what you have. They know their stuff and will help set you up. I went with the 450/500 instead of the 500/600 setup that some have done since I don't track my car. It is sick compared to the stock setup and yet it isn't too brutal on most of the roads in the DC area.

I will admit to having mine set a little stiffer (rebound and compression) than when Randy handed my car back to me, and I will also admit that sometimes I cringe when I nail a nasty expansion joint or pothole, but so far my kidneys are still functioning, my spine isn't too compressed and I have never had any complaints about long distance drives.

Get a front swaybar, too and Ireland Engineering Subframe bushings. You may as well get things taken care of all at once. I didn't do a rear swaybar, but you might with a roadster (I'll let others handle that one). Also, with a roadster, you may want to look into the Strong Strut front strut brace, as well as the other braces built for the car.
    2000 Z3M Coupe, Cosmos Black, Supercharged: Randy Forbes' magic subframe kit, Vortech/Dinan Supercharger, TCKlien DA front and rear suspension, TCKlien Camber Plates, H&R front sway, Clutchmasters FX300 w/LW steel FW, UUC tranny mount brace, UUC SS clutch line with CDV delete, Turner Shorty Headers, B&B TriFlo exhaust, SS brake lines, dual-ear E36 M3 diff, IE subframe bushings, Whalen Shift Machine and E-brake handle, PLX DM100 gauge+sensors, aftermarket audio, Apex wheel studs, and even a Euro glovebox/driver's side knee panel swap

SOLD
    2006 Z4M Coupe, Sepang Bronze:
    Stromung exhaust, DFK Section 1 w/resonators, RPI ram air intake, and Whalen Shift Machine.

"BMW - Designed by Germans, driven by tossers." --Jeremy Clarkson

BMW CCA #375064

My Cars
    1999 M & 2001 M Roadster

Is this the setup?
    http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs...Details150.cfm

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffPortland View Post
    Yes, but for the sake of full disclosure, I made that statement over thirteen (>13) years ago, so while I was always impressed with the TCK setups__and I still am__there may be better options nowadays that I am unaware of.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I followed Randy's advice this past winter with the TC Kline double adjustable coilovers and I'm very happy with the results.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    I'm also interested in this topic. I want stock plus that doesn't foul on the roadstars and has intuitive height adjustment. I'm flexible on price but not looking for some nutty set up with magnetic fluid reservoirs. I kinda just want to set it and forget it.

My Cars
    1999 M & 2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    I'm also interested in this topic. I want stock plus that doesn't foul on the roadstars and has intuitive height adjustment. I'm flexible on price but not looking for some nutty set up with magnetic fluid reservoirs. I kinda just want to set it and forget it.
    Anyone have anything to add to Randy's 13 year old post? Seems like everyone goes Koni shocks and H&R springs for best ride/performance combo. Would love some more tips.

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    i have koni yellows with ground control/eibach ers springs, soon switching to tc kline springs. I should have just bought TCkline from the start.

single adjustable if daily and poor (me)
    double adjustable if you have the funds.

I would not go with lowering springs:
    1. lowering springs might have the rear sit lower than the front
    2. the spring rates are very important for this weird little car, lowering springs tend to not have enough in the rear
    3. finally, not being able to adjust height will get under your skin, either it will be too low or too high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast