Thread: new at this....looking for suggestions.

My Cars
    1983 bmw 320i

new at this....looking for suggestions.

hey folks. i never thought i'd join a forum.....i guess there's a first time for everything.

about a year ago a friend of mine gave me his '83 320i. it's a great little car, running real strong at 214k. i love it!

here's the problem: the trunk leaks. the guy at the bmw salvage (i call him bmw ed) says these were notorious for leaky trunks and i'll never fix it. i beg to differ. any suggestions?
    hint: i don't know if it's as simple as getting a new seal as there's a little rust involved.

thanks....*Y*

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    Ed is a moron, guess he never understood what seals do. This is due to the seals around the taillights. Replace those and this problem is no more.

Welcome to the forums btw

My Cars
    1981 BMW 320i

Leak

Also, on mine I found part of the leak caused by a bad trunk seal. I replaced it, and the tail light seals and no issues with leakage.

Quote Originally Posted by free320i View Post
    hey folks. i never thought i'd join a forum.....i guess there's a first time for everything.

about a year ago a friend of mine gave me his '83 320i. it's a great little car, running real strong at 214k. i love it!

here's the problem: the trunk leaks. the guy at the bmw salvage (i call him bmw ed) says these were notorious for leaky trunks and i'll never fix it. i beg to differ. any suggestions?
    hint: i don't know if it's as simple as getting a new seal as there's a little rust involved.

thanks....*Y*
    1981 BMW 320i, Ascot Grey with Tan Leatherette, 137K, 5 speed, K&N filter, Ansa Exhaust, Bilstein HD's, Rota RB's, Bumper Tuck.

2013 BMW 535i M Sport, Arctic Silver with Black interior.

1966 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 cc, 56K, Dark Grey on Black, Styled steel wheels, C4 Automatic.

1014 Porsche Cayman S, Black on Black

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    I've replaced both of mine and things still leak...

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    E21, E24, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcook320 View Post
    I've replaced both of mine and things still leak...
    You trying to make me look bad?

I replaced the light seals and it didnt leak anymore. Jump in the trunk and have someone hose it down and see where the leak is coming from.

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzed310 View Post
    You trying to make me look bad?

I replaced the light seals and it didnt leak anymore. Jump in the trunk and have someone hose it down and see where the leak is coming from.
    Yes.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    80 320i 88 325i 00 323iT
    The channel of mine rusted through at the forward edge of the trunk. A neighbor did some jury rigged welding and it has helped quite a bit, but there is still some leakage from a different spot. It is not only just the seal sometimes.

My Cars
    e21/325, w124
    Tail light seal worked wonders for me, too. Find the wet spot then look under everything in the immediate area for the leak. When you find it, fix it. How can it be impossible to fix a leak? I don't get it.

Motronic M20B25 E21 Legion Page

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    I need a new left tail light in mine and the seals, mine will leak puddles in the trunk if it gets wet. I have a spare left tail light lens from a 79 but the post is different, and won't fit through the tail light housing. Is there a difference between the pre 80 and post 80 taillight lenses, or is it a euro vs USA thing since my Baur is grey market?

I had to pull my carpet out of the trunk since it never dries out, and it makes it easier to towel dry the trunk after I wash it or get caught in the rain. Fortunalty the trunk rusted out years ago and was replaced and has been rust proofed top and bottom so it isn't as likely to rust out again.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)