Harrison Motorsports

Thread: Cracked block?

My Cars
    01’ x5 3.0

Cracked block?

Just bought a 535i from a lady. She said the shop said it had a cracked block. I briefly went and looked at it and doesn't look like anything was ever taken apart. Didn't ask them how they arrived at that conclusion.
    Does that sound right? How many times have you heard a block being cracked?
    What things should I look at?
    Thanx....

My Cars
    330ZHP R1200GS E300D
    Quote Originally Posted by lilcallaway
    Just bought a 535i from a lady. She said the shop said it had a cracked block. I briefly went and looked at it and doesn't look like anything was ever taken apart. Didn't ask them how they arrived at that conclusion.
    Does that sound right? How many times have you heard a block being cracked?
    What things should I look at?
    Thanx....
    It happens but not that often on a M30. I bought a 92 535i (a very rare sport model, 120 imported) that had been overheated.

Get this,

The guys daughter was driving it home and it started over heating, she kept driving until it stopped and would not start again. About 20 miles with it in the red zone. She told me "it just started making these noises like BB's in the motor and it kept slowing down and down, like to 20mph, I kept driving it another 2 miles until it just stopped."

OMG what an idiot.

Anyway, it had gotten really really hot, melted some of the plastic connectors on the motor etc. Paid very little for an otherwise pristine car, white with tan leather. pulled the head and sent it to Eagle, they straighten it, rebuilt the valves etc around $500, bolted it back on and she ran great. The sport model also had a 4.10 LS rear end. 30-100mph was about even with my stock 95 M3.

Back to the point, even with all the heat that motor had seen, the block was fine. Several folks/mechanics told me that the bearings were shot, that I should rebuild the bottom end etc. I gambled and just did the head, she ran like a champ after that and never had issues.

Mike

My Cars
    e30 325
    Quote Originally Posted by 95m3Lightweight
    It happens but not that often on a M30. I bought a 92 535i (a very rare sport model, 120 imported) that had been overheated.

Get this,

The guys daughter was driving it home and it started over heating, she kept driving until it stopped and would not start again. About 20 miles with it in the red zone. She told me "it just started making these noises like BB's in the motor and it kept slowing down and down, like to 20mph, I kept driving it another 2 miles until it just stopped."

OMG what an idiot.

Anyway, it had gotten really really hot, melted some of the plastic connectors on the motor etc. Paid very little for an otherwise pristine car, white with tan leather. pulled the head and sent it to Eagle, they straighten it, rebuilt the valves etc around $500, bolted it back on and she ran great. The sport model also had a 4.10 LS rear end. 30-100mph was about even with my stock 95 M3.

Back to the point, even with all the heat that motor had seen, the block was fine. Several folks/mechanics told me that the bearings were shot, that I should rebuild the bottom end etc. I gambled and just did the head, she ran like a champ after that and never had issues.

Mike
    man thats some luck

Cigs by DW

My Cars
    '95 325i '87 325es
    Those 535 engines are the stuff. They are nearly bullet proof. Even if she ran it hot or whatever, chances are they head would crack long before the block. And there isn't a good way to check the block without taking off the head.

Not to mention, if there was a noticable problem with the block, it would have to be something serious enough that you would see/feel some effects.

My question would be, does the head look replaced? Did the shop fix the head and gasket and then arrive at the conclusion that there were other problems after putting everything back on?

My Cars
    07 328i, Xterra
    Where is the car from? Block cracking isn't totally uncommon up North. My dad killed a VERY old Farm-all tractor, not having enough antifreeze in the engine... It was sad. I felt like we'd let the thing down after it'd lived all those years.
    If you'd like to help fight cancer in kids, check out our Photo Annual. All proceeds go to Curesearch

My Cars
    e30 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwaters
    Where is the car from? Block cracking isn't totally uncommon up North. My dad killed a VERY old Farm-all tractor, not having enough antifreeze in the engine... It was sad. I felt like we'd let the thing down after it'd lived all those years.

Cigs by DW

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    I have a blown M30 block. The PO blew the motor by crimping the coolant hose that goes between the t-stat and the water pump. It blew pretty close to the exhaust-side motor mount, made a hole able the size of a softball.

That said, it was the first and only M30 truly blown block I have ever heard of. Most people just blow head gaskets, so it could easily be misdiagnosed for that. Even if it is blown, you can get a used M30 for 500$.

My Cars
    85 325e, 86 524td 5-speed, 91 Mazda 626
    they probally ran compression and leak down numbers. My m30 ran into the red, untill it shut down, and even then no head or block damage, but blown rings. I took the head to the machine shop and had them pressure test, etc.. the head, no warpage no cracks, still in great shape.
    -Ely Wineland-

My Cars
    Nissan Altima Limited Ed
    m30 <333

I love those things. They're damn near bullet proof and one the nicest engines BMW has ever made.