Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: 4400w Subs. NEED WIRING HELP!! :)

My Cars
    bmw :)

Exclamation 4400w Subs. NEED WIRING HELP!! :)

i just bought two (2) AUDIOBAHN AW1206T 12" Subs (1100w RMS/2200w Peak/ 2 ohm EACH) along with the
    Boss BLX4000 4000 watts, Blade Exxtreme Series High-Current 2-Channel AMPLIFIER.
    4 ohms: 500 watts x 2 chan.
    2 ohms: 900 watts x 2 chan.
    1 ohm: 1500 watts x 2 chan.

i was wondering what would be the best way to wire it all up to make it sound clean and smooth without breaking any windows. haha. also, which type of box would you recommend? and should i go w/ 4-gauge wiring or what?

please get back fast!!
    thanks!

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    I hate to tell you but neither of those brands is known for "living up to the hype" nor for giving years of reliable quality music reproduction service.

I'd resell them and buy something a little LESS "blang blang" and more "sounds good"

If you insist, wire the subs in parallel for a 1 ohm load, connect em to the amp using 8 guage wire, and use 2 ga wire for the amp.

BTW whats the total fusing on that amp (add all the fuses together) and where were those specs from? Lightning strike (aka peak), RMS, at 14,4 at 12, at 16v?

what about the subs?

What does the OWNERS MANUAL SAY ABOUT INSTALLATION?

My Cars
    '99 M3
    dont use that crap, rated watts isnt everything.. go buy some Brahma's by adire audio if you want loudest/best http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/BrahmaSeries.htm

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco.../adire_brahma/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0DvJBErI-8&search=hover

buy two of them and get a 1200w monoblock Class D amp and it will be WAY more than your whole entire neighborhood could care for...

**EDIT** audiobahn is not the best but certainly great quality - not too shabby imho, dont want to mislead you or come across as an idiot...lol. its the amp im worried about.

here are the specs on it

Specifications
    Max Power, 1/2 OHM: 4000W
    RMS Power, 4 OHM @ 0.01% THD: 500Wx2
    RMS Power, 2 OHM: 900Wx2
    RMS Power, 1 OHM: 1500Wx2
    1/2 OHM Stable Stereo Power: 2000Wx2
    Frequency Response: 9Hz-50Khz
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >105dB
    Channel Separation: >90dB
    Low Pass Crossover: 45Hz-100Hz
    High Pass Crossover: 120Hz-720Hz
    Bass Boost: 0 -/+ 18dB
    Bass Boost Frequency: 45Hz-100Hz
    Dimensions: 11 5/16"W x 2 3/8"H x 23"L

first of all you should always be conservative with your power supply. that being said, looks like your best bet is to wire the speakers in parralell down to 2 ohms and give them 900 watts each so that you can turn your gains up all the way without ever having to worry about blowing them when you crank the volume. how do you wire them you say?

if your car subs are DVC 4 ohms each then your out of luck - your options are either 1 ohm or 4 ohm load...

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...pedance=DVC4x2

if they are 2ohm DVC, then you can do it - middle diagram

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le...pedance=DVC2x2

so, if they are in fact 4 ohm then you would wire down to 1 ohm and set your gains down low and NEVER turn them up. probable have a professional do this OR search the internet, you could do it your self but risk blowing your subs. basically, iirc, set your volume on your stereo to 75% (WITH YOUR GAIN ALL THE WAY DOW!) and then slowly turn up until you get distortion - once you find that spot turn it back a little (the gain). 99% of people never turn it all the way up so this is the reasoning behind it. there are two problems with this method, one, if in fact you do turn it up all the way, you can hurt them. and two, most peoples hearing cannot distinguish actual distortion when it occurs (at that sound level) - it comes far earlier than you think it does or can hear. thats why i always recommend under powering the subs a little then you dont have to woory about it.

another very important thing is the box. your internal volume better be rated correctly for the subs, but thats a whole other thread....

as far as a box, i would go with a sealed box with both subs sharing the same chamber, but it defintiely depnds on your tastes as well. this box will give you the best of all worlds/varities of music - really low base AND quick punchy bass AND your regular club music that just pounds. it will have a middle Q value. yes, a ported box will get lower and louder but again, more apt to blow one over time - i would only do that with top of the line sub (i.e. Brahma), with warranty of course)

looks like 1 sub is rated at 1.25 MAXIMUM cu. ft. so for two in shared chamber, 2.5 cu.ft. box (personally i would go a little smaller to be on safe side, like 2.3, there is alway a margin of error)

if you use 3/4" MDF board (i recommend), and figure that the subs each displace .07 cu. ft. (average for 12" subs) i would build a box (or better yet, have one built!) with the dimensions of 14.5" (high) x 30" (wide,face of front) x 13.5" (deep). this will give you a box with an internal volume of 2.573 MINUS the displacement of the subs (.14) will give you 2.433 cu.ft. In addition, any other bracing inside the sub will obviously reduce the internal air volume, putt ing you well within the safe zone

now, if you feel the box is not deep enough (you do need space behind the subs for cleaner sound) then add more to the depth and shave down your other measurements.

hope this helps

here is a decent calculator of box size
    http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

http://www.audiobahn.com/Audiobahn06..._box_specs.pdf
    Last edited by 88bimmer; 08-05-2006 at 07:26 AM.
    picture coming soon...

My Cars
    '99 M3
    and yea, definitely go with 4 gauge wiring. buy the cheap stuff on ebay, its not gonna make a noticable difference. bigger the wire, the better

and use an inline fuse close to the battery!

get a whole kit - something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FULL-4-GAUGE...QQcmdZViewItem

or check out walmart... dont laugh, im serious
    picture coming soon...

My Cars
    97 328i
    you can also find lots of good wiring advice and calculators at the12volt.com including enclosure volume calcs and series and parralell ohm calculators

buz
    electrical design engineer
    A/E/C

My Cars
    bmw :)
    i know these brands arn't top notch, but i think audiobahn holds its value because i've had alot of em. i guess people have their own opinions. lol.
    believe me, if someone offered you this package at a price of $300, you couldnt pass it up, thats how i ended up with all of it. haha.
    i will probably wire them to a 2ohm load just so im sure i wont blow them. im not really an audio guy, so i can't really answer any of the questions that were just asked haha sorry. you guys were a huge help though, i think i found everything im looking for. the only question i have for 88bimmer is why are you worried about the amp?? is it because its too much power, or what?

thanks guys!!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Audiobahn lol.

In any case, the amp does look poor. Consider something else, and if I were you, I'd run 0/1 guage wiring.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    becasue boss is the same sort of junk as pyramid and road gear and other 'el cheapo" brands. Jensen would be a step UP in quality.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle
    becasue boss is the same sort of junk as pyramid and road gear and other 'el cheapo" brands. Jensen would be a step UP in quality.
    bingo

there are plenty of good low priced class D amps that will be better than that thing.
    picture coming soon...

My Cars
    AudioSnob
    i know these brands arn't top notch, but i think audiobahn holds its value because i've had alot of em.
    Yes, that value is ZERO.

As others have said ...Audiobahn and Boss are basicall 'flea market specials' ...but with better packaging/marketing. These are not even close to 'mid-fi' ...they are at the bottom of 'low-fi'. There are MUCH better choices that won't be much mroe $. A BMW deserves better.

>^..^<
    If money is the root of all evil ...why do churches beg for it?

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference

An armed man is a citizen ...an unarmed man is a subject.