RM European Auto Parts

Thread: raising points for e36-m3: jack stands?

My Cars
    1997 M3

raising points for e36-m3: jack stands?

A novice question, to be sure. I'm changing the oil on my M3, I can see that there are raising points under where the factory jack would slide in. But, where would be some solid spots to put the jack stands?

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    go get some e46 jack pads. they are square not round so your stands wont come off. (do not put stands on the round pads). put your jack under your frame from the front. and the frame support under the diff for the rear
    Doug (BMWCCA HPDE Instructor, Respect My Authoritay!)

1999 Titanium Silver M3 track Rat
    2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    F10 550i 6 Speed
    I use the round pads fine... as long as you slowly lower the car onto the stands and have someone to watch both sides so that the jack is steady, it'll be fine. There is so much weight on the jack stand that its not going to slide off anywhere.

Of course, that all depends on what kind of jack stands you have and what the top of the stand looks like.
    Roman
    F10 2011 550i Sport 6 speed
    E46 2005 ZHP Sedan 6 speed (for sale)
    E36 1996 328i Sport

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Thank you. The jack stands I got are from sears and they have a shallow U type shape at the top. Is this unsafe to use on the round rasing points at the sides of the car?

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    For changeing your oil, you might be fine but I would not trust them for rakes, or suspension stuff. they are not that stable. The e46 pads are only about $5 each. worth your life

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    1997 M3
    These pads would sit on top of the jack stands I have? I'd get them from BMW?

My Cars
    99M3, 04 M3 , 17 F250
    you remove the round jack pads on your car with a big screw driver. pop in the new ones. takes 5 minutes. you dont even need to jack up the car to do it

2017 F250 Powerstroke
    2004 M3 Widebody, LS

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    If you're just changin oil, why go through all that hassle? Just get a pair of Rhino Ramps to drive up to. $30 at the most.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Want to do the brakes, trani fluid and rear dif fluid. But I'm going to get the ramps to after you suggest it, thanks.

My Cars
    A lot
    Go to a shop in your local area, give them $10 for use of their lift. I went to a local lube place, gave them some pizza and beer, and they gave me time on their lift.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    good idea, these jack pads that are being refered to, are the round disks in the frame that are under the jack holes with the pop off covers? These are what would be replaced by the e46 parts?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    As far as paying someone to give you lift time, around here in So. Cal. everybody wants to cover their ass, so no garage time due to insurance constraints. I've asked...NoWay!!
    You must have a great rapport to get that kind of concession from a service facility.

:
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    1997 M3
    ramps are your best bet

My Cars
    '06 330i 6MT Sport
    http://www.understeer.com

Click on jacking up a BMW.

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Another point of information is the following:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=36175

(post #19 is the one that applies to this thread.)

-Steve
    Last edited by stevet; 11-27-2002 at 03:49 PM.