Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C Climate Control Not Working (2002 E39)

My Cars
    2018 230ix Convertible

A/C Climate Control Not Working (2002 E39)

Hi,

I have a 2002 530i (E39) and my climate control stopped blowing last Friday. I thought it might be a temporary issue, but its still there a few days later now.

I've read the various posts on the topic and I can't tell which issue I have -- capacitor, blower motor, blower resistor, final stage, fuse, or something else. Some of the posts look like they are specific to older model years or manual climate controls, which might not apply in my case. So, I'm looking for some guidance? Here's my symptoms:

* Climate control lights come on, A/C light, etc. I can change settings and the LCD shows correct one. Its a digital climate control.

* No fan/blower on any setting. Auto or manual.

* I believe the A/C compressor is fine because when driving at highway speeds I can feel a slight trickle of cool air coming from the vents.

* Temperature last Friday was high here in my area (90+ F) when this happened.

* I had the same problem once or twice last summer, but it was intermittent -- lasted one day, but was fine the next and hasn't happened since. So, I thought it was related to the outdoor temp.

Thanks!

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Final stage, resistor pack, same thing.
    Alex

My Cars
    2018 230ix Convertible
    Thanks - that was confusing.

But, any insight as to what could be the cause of the problem?

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    Final Stage Resistor - just replaced mine (2001 E39).
    Part is $70 or so and there is a good site (I cannot find it right now) online about how to change it. You can also get a stealership to do it for 1/2 hour labor.
    Hammer
    HammerG26
    2001 540i (M sport / premium pkgs)
    6 speed manual
    BMWCCA #370433
    "Man I love this car"

My Cars
    2018 230ix Convertible
    Thanks! That's great if only $70.

Is this a difficult or complex install process with a new part?

And, anybody have that link? (to the instructions)

My Cars
    2001 540i/6
    HammerG26
    2001 540i (M sport / premium pkgs)
    6 speed manual
    BMWCCA #370433
    "Man I love this car"

My Cars
    2016 X5 SDrive M-Sport
    Does anyone know if this is the same on a 97 528i?

My Cars
    2018 230ix Convertible
    o.k., well a few days/weeks later now, I was able to buy a new "final stage unit" for my 2002 E39 from a seller at eBay, and I followed the install instructions above.

Once installed, I started the car and I had air flowing once again. The fan worked at all speeds again. BUT, I did notice a sort of pulsating surge in fan strength temporarily -- as if it was losing power intermittently and then coming back. (This is both on the manual and auto fan settings) It lasted a few minutes, then went away. But came back when I started the car again later.

So, jury is still out whether or not this completely corrected my problem. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I can live with the occaisional fan power surge, but if it gets worse or goes out again completely I may have some other problem.

Here's a few notes from my install in reference to the instruction link above for the 540:

1. On my car, a 2002 530i, it was MANDATORY to remove the panel under the glove box to access the FSU. (The instructions seem to indicate its more "optional" -- maybe so on the 540, not on the 530)

2. I had a tough time unplugging the existing original unit. The plug did not release very easily. There are clips on either side of the plug that hold it in place on the unit. You have to depress these clips to get it to release, then pull the plug. I ended up using pliers to depress the clips and pull.

One I thing I am hoping is that the unit I bought on eBay was o.k. -- It was sold as a new part, it came in a BMW box, and had a matching part number, etc. But, who knows if it was defective or not? Anyway, as I said, I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1996 318I, 2000 528I
    I went through the same issues described by Stillerz ( to the T) and had the same issues in while rmoving the FSU from my 1996 -318I. Bu the new part that I purchsed from the BMW dealer did not fix my problem. the blwoer is still not workin on any speed. Does any one know hat I could try next? This has been a nightmare and I'm ready to give up.

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Quote Originally Posted by stillerz View Post
    BUT, I did notice a sort of pulsating surge in fan strength temporarily -- as if it was losing power intermittently and then coming back. (This is both on the manual and auto fan settings) It lasted a few minutes, then went away. But came back when I started the car again later.
    Mine does that too, right after you start the car after it was sitting in the sun, so that the fan has to blow harder. So, is there something wrong or is this a 'feature'? Anyone know? I just got the car, so I can't tell if it was like this from the factory or if something is not working as it should be.

My Cars
    BMW 5 series!!!
    My 2001 E39 525iT just had the same problem - no fan no matter what speed setting. I did the same procedure, and just want to add to this:

1. To remove the cover below the glove box, just PULL towards rear of car, just pull hard, it will snap. Not down, just straight towards the rear.

2. I didn't have to replace my final stage unit. I unplugged it, and cleaned it up with electrical cleaner, plugged it back in, it's working now. We'll see how long it will last.

3. Finally, the tab holding the FSU wasn't really doing it's job, so it is not very secure in there... not sure if something is wrong or?

Good luck all.

Quote Originally Posted by stillerz View Post
    o.k., well a few days/weeks later now, I was able to buy a new "final stage unit" for my 2002 E39 from a seller at eBay, and I followed the install instructions above.

Once installed, I started the car and I had air flowing once again. The fan worked at all speeds again. BUT, I did notice a sort of pulsating surge in fan strength temporarily -- as if it was losing power intermittently and then coming back. (This is both on the manual and auto fan settings) It lasted a few minutes, then went away. But came back when I started the car again later.

So, jury is still out whether or not this completely corrected my problem. I'm going to keep an eye on it. I can live with the occaisional fan power surge, but if it gets worse or goes out again completely I may have some other problem.

Here's a few notes from my install in reference to the instruction link above for the 540:

1. On my car, a 2002 530i, it was MANDATORY to remove the panel under the glove box to access the FSU. (The instructions seem to indicate its more "optional" -- maybe so on the 540, not on the 530)

2. I had a tough time unplugging the existing original unit. The plug did not release very easily. There are clips on either side of the plug that hold it in place on the unit. You have to depress these clips to get it to release, then pull the plug. I ended up using pliers to depress the clips and pull.

One I thing I am hoping is that the unit I bought on eBay was o.k. -- It was sold as a new part, it came in a BMW box, and had a matching part number, etc. But, who knows if it was defective or not? Anyway, as I said, I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks!
    -----------------
    '94 E34 525ia 248k mi (since 83k)
    '00 E39 M5 126k mi (since 64k)
    '91 E34 M5 119 mi (since 110k)
    '00 E39 540iTa 98 mi (since 72k)
    '01 E38 740i M-sports 101k mi (since 95k)
    '07 E60 530i 53k mi (Newly added)

'01 E39 525iTa 92k mi (since 54k) Sold
    -----------------
    Koni Sport - E39 M5
    DVD Nav upgrade (from MKII) w/ 16x9 monitor - M5
    Bluetooth module - E39 M5 / 525ia
    CCFL Angel Eye - E39 M5
    CELIS tail lights - E39 M5
    Blinder direct wire - E39 M5
    V1 direct wire - ALL
    HID projector upgrade - 525ia / 525iTa
    Power Chip - 525ia
    Dinan/Koni suspension - E34 M5

Dan is offline My real name is Charles
    My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerG26 View Post
    seeing how this is going to be a failing part for some cars now, i have added that link to the FAQ. thanks!!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540I
    Hmm my whole Climate control Panel is working fine. But no air is coming out of the vents. Will this FSU fix this problem for sure? I dont feel liek spending 70 bucks on something and it doesnt fix it... =/

My Cars
    '08 LS460; '16 NX200t
    Usually the final stage unit is the case...was the blower acting erratically before it went out completely. Mine is failing and sometimes the blower will go out for a day or so and then come back on. I have the part but haven't replaced it yet.
    If not the final stage unit, then could be the actual blower part itself, etc. There's no real way the average person call tell though.
    2008 Lexus LS460
    2016 Lexus NX200t
    PUREVIP
    Island Elites - West Coast Elites
    Team Airrex
    ClubLexusHawaii
    2002 540iA Sport (SOLD)
    1998 M3/4 (SOLD)

My Cars
    535xiT, 325iT, '07 L322
    Just figured I'd post this somewhere as another data point.
    Problem: fan did it's own thing, regardless of the speed I digitally told it to. All other functions seemed to work.
    Guess: final stage relay, $70 shipped from bavauto.
    Installation: less than 15 minutes, working slowly and very carefully.
    Notes: The screw is a #2 (normal) Phillips head. My car ('00 528it) had a chunk of foam jammed in there. If you have big hands, just take out that flat panel under the glovebox. Also need a flashlight. My replacement part looked a bit different (black plastic box vs aluminum; shorter heatsink fins), but works fine.

Wish all fixes were that easy and cheap!

My Cars
    2010 VW CC DSG Sport
    I bought my last FSU from the dealership for 66 dollars. It is a newer model then what I had been buying as I've had to replace this unit 3 times now in 103k miles. Haven't had a problem in 28k miles >knock on wood<
    APR Stage 1 Tuned, APR Stage 1 intake

My Cars
    '08 LS460; '16 NX200t
    Quote Originally Posted by cpatstone View Post
    Just figured I'd post this somewhere as another data point.
    Problem: fan did it's own thing, regardless of the speed I digitally told it to. All other functions seemed to work.
    Guess: final stage relay, $70 shipped from bavauto.
    Installation: less than 15 minutes, working slowly and very carefully.
    Notes: The screw is a #2 (normal) Phillips head. My car ('00 528it) had a chunk of foam jammed in there. If you have big hands, just take out that flat panel under the glovebox. Also need a flashlight. My replacement part looked a bit different (black plastic box vs aluminum; shorter heatsink fins), but works fine.

Wish all fixes were that easy and cheap!

+1
    Yeah, the OEM replacement part looks diff, overall smaller w/ shorter "fins". Something is definitely not right with the original part in terms of longevity, so it must of been redesigned
    2008 Lexus LS460
    2016 Lexus NX200t
    PUREVIP
    Island Elites - West Coast Elites
    Team Airrex
    ClubLexusHawaii
    2002 540iA Sport (SOLD)
    1998 M3/4 (SOLD)

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Quote Originally Posted by cpatstone View Post
    My replacement part looked a bit different (black plastic box vs aluminum; shorter heatsink fins), but works fine.

My Cars
    2010 VW CC DSG Sport
    That's the one. The old one use to overheat and melt the internals. I actually took it apart after the 3rd one failed. The new one is much better.
    APR Stage 1 Tuned, APR Stage 1 intake

My Cars
    '02 525i M54 MT
    In regards to the install:
    Pulling the plastic panel under the glove box also will give you more room to work (pulls straight out toward you).
    I'm having trouble pulling this piece towards me. I'm grabbing it from the rear and trying to slide it foward and it's not working. I don't want to apply too much force in fear of breaking something.
    Do I need to unscrew anything? Anyone have any other tips on removing this panel?
    "If she spills anything, she MUST clean it up. After she is done, I tell her to "Tuck and roll" at 65mph." -Gumbi4u

Paul // Oakland, CA // Registry Link // My Ugly Mug

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Quote Originally Posted by pahhhoul View Post
    In regards to the install:

I'm having trouble pulling this piece towards me. I'm grabbing it from the rear and trying to slide it foward and it's not working. I don't want to apply too much force in fear of breaking something.
    Do I need to unscrew anything? Anyone have any other tips on removing this panel?
    Place your hands underneath it, but near the front, not rear. Then push up on it and pull towards you.

My Cars
    '02 525i M54 MT
    Sweet...
    I got that panel off.
    Now do you have any tricks on pushing that tab down?
    I've been pushing on that thang for the past 20 minutes and have had no luck.
    Bent my fingernail back a bit, scrapped my knuckle and thumb.
    Now I'm taking a breather.
    Goose-fraba yo, goose-fraba...
    "If she spills anything, she MUST clean it up. After she is done, I tell her to "Tuck and roll" at 65mph." -Gumbi4u

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Try a long flat head screwdriver to push down on the tab, although I think I just managed with my finger.

My Cars
    '02 525i M54 MT
    I love this forum.
    I need help. I post up a reply.
    10 mins.. shoot, maybe even less than that and you get a reply.
    Like I said.. I L O V E this forum.
    Everyone here .

Now to get a long screwdriver to get my FSU out after work.

My Cars
    '02 525i M54 MT
    DAMN !*$%#@* FSU...!!!

After spending the past 20 minutes getting it out.
    BTW the screwdriver thing didn't work. Tried a pair of pliers and that didn't work.
    Had to reach under that duct with my left hand and pull the tab down while using my right hand to tilt the FSU up and then pull it out.
    Now, do I need to completely snap the new one back into place or can i let it sit partially on the upper nipple since I'm having trouble snapping it completely all the way back in due to that same tab!

Goose-fraba my a$$..!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast