Thread: Haven't started the 325 for a couple of months, now wont start....

My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5

Haven't started the 325 for a couple of months, now wont start....

Thats what I needed to hear. Thank you!

I have a 92 325i w/ a 328/m3 timing ring. It doesn't want to start with the obd-ii timing ring. The realoem part numbers are DIFFERENT (also the price) so i was thinking perhaps the teeth were different. I have an obd-i timing ring on my 97 m3, but it doesn't matter since the sensor doesn't read the front timing ring.

Here's my dilemma. The battery died on my 325i,and I haven't started it since may / haven't refilled the gas tank since early january this yr (i think) maybe even since last year.

So either the battery is too weak to kick over the engine (the alternator isn't even hooked up also maybe the cause?) even with a jump starter, or the gas has gone bad (only 1/4 in the tank).

It tries to start, but it seems to burn rich / has black smoke upon start up.

Is the battery to week? Non-hooked up alternator the culprit? bas Gas? perhaps fouled plugs?
    M3 Sedan Club President #21

My Cars
    97 328ic
    Nevermind... I didn't read.

-J

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    I wouldn't recommend even trying to run the car without an alternator. If it is completely missing from the loop, you have to create that circuit that once went through the alternator. Multiple cranks, especially with sitting gas, could lead to soaked plugs. Also, I am not sure if the gas is still good. The worst thing I see would be to get the fuel system cleaned out. Go ahead and replace the plugs since those are cheap anyway, and install that alternator. Check the voltage on the battery. The lowest value I would sit on would be 11v. You will kill the battery easily without the alternator though.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5
    Thanks,

Well the question is will the car not start at all with those given variables?
    M3 Sedan Club President #21