Thread: ASC Light and performance issue solved !!!!

My Cars
    97' 528i

ASC Light and performance issue solved !!!!

SOLVED!!!! SOLVED!!!! SOLVED!!!! SOLVED!!!! SOLVED!!!! SOLVED!!!!
    I figured it out and I can't believe it I will be posting pics very soon!
    Whilst under the hood I was goofing around with the "throttle body" and discovered that when my friend was putting the car ignition into position II that the motor was sticking and wasn't pulling the cable on the throttle body for the ASC back because of dirt build up on the spring. Surely enough I sprayed copious amounts of WD40 on it and the ASC light turned off!!!! I started the car and reved the engine and she roared to life with a triumphant growl. I will post the pics so that people with my issue will know what to look at first. I want to thank all of you for the assistance and if it hadn't been for you guys on the forums I never would have looked near that throttle body. No trip to the stealership now and no more $$$ more proof that E39's are some of the best Bimmers around.
    -iToast

My Cars
    1998 528i
    You sound happy.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    Live the Yuppie life, drive the Yuppie car, pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, but like to pose as a Yuppie? Pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, don't make the Yuppie income, but like the Yuppie car? Be quiet and learn to get your hands dirty.

My Cars
    97' 528i
    undoubtedly as I was told it was going to be a $300.00 to $3000 proposition and all that I needed was a flashlight and some WD40.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    that's great news...and just think...if we were a totally split board...my e34/e38 owning self would have missed this solution that could possibly affect both of my vehicles...hmmm. Another reason for us to "stay together"
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    Jeep, merc wag
    agree...

My Cars
    m52 powered
    awesome Itoast- good for you! Because you didn't give up you saved a boatload of cash. These cars have gremlins, thats one more added to the list.

My Cars
    97 528i
    please post pics

i have asc trouble light on

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850i
    same here.....pics would be great

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by iToast View Post
    SOLVED!!!! SOLVED!!!! SOLVED!!!! SOLVED!!!! SOLVED!!!! SOLVED!!!!
    I figured it out and I can't believe it I will be posting pics very soon!
    Whilst under the hood I was goofing around with the "throttle body" and discovered that when my friend was putting the car ignition into position II that the motor was sticking and wasn't pulling the cable on the throttle body for the ASC back because of dirt build up on the spring. Surely enough I sprayed copious amounts of WD40 on it and the ASC light turned off!!!! I started the car and reved the engine and she roared to life with a triumphant growl. I will post the pics so that people with my issue will know what to look at first. I want to thank all of you for the assistance and if it hadn't been for you guys on the forums I never would have looked near that throttle body. No trip to the stealership now and no more $$$ more proof that E39's are some of the best Bimmers around.
    -iToast
    I just started having my ASC light come on and stay on. Do you have pictures of where this spring is located so I can try the same thing?

Let me know
    7thworld@gmail.com

My Cars
    540i6
    You've got us all excited.......I have an ASC light on as we speak. Send pics.
    The cheapest part of a BMW is the driver.

Almost makes ya' want to take up smoking doens't it.....

My Cars
    540i6
    Dude, it's been a while. Where are those pics?

You better go buy a camera, take the pics and post them....Or I'll......I'll........spend a whole but load of cash at the BMW dealer to spite you to get my ASC light off.

Just kidding, I don't go to the dealer. (cept for T-shirts and stuff)
    The cheapest part of a BMW is the driver.

Almost makes ya' want to take up smoking doens't it.....