Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Z3 FAQ + Write-ups, how-to's and DIY links

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    You use this thread like a bible?
    I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but you might try this thread instead (or in addition to): http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...w-tos-and-DIY)
    I do think it is a better resource than this one, otherwise I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of making it.

Do please report back with your thoughts.
    I get an error that I do not have permissions when I try and go to that link.
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The Manifesto, along with Ben himself, is no longer part of this forum. The gutted remains, all offensive links to non-member vendors removed, is at the top of the page as the "FAQ".

/.randy

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    The Manifesto, along with Ben himself, is no longer part of this forum. The gutted remains, all offensive links to non-member vendors removed, is at the top of the page as the "FAQ".
    What the hell happened to this site???

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    You know, I never really did fully understand what happened to Ben and the Manifesto. It seemed like he got into some kerfuffle with Terry over copyright or something, stormed off in a huff, and took his ball with him, but it all went over my head and I wasn't paying attention. What is the actual story? Where is Ben these days?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    As you know, Ben poured an insane amount of work into the Manifesto. For those that weren't here at the time, the Manifesto was an all-inclusive guide to everything Z3-ish on the web, fully categorized and and cross-indexed. As I said, an insane amount of effort that included everything, including links to other forums and non-supporting vendors (hint). The management (Terry wasn't the only one, and likely wasn't the instigator) decided it was way too large and needed to be edited down. Terry was tasked with doing the editing. Though management was within their legal rights, Ben took exception to his masterpiece being hacked apart. Ben, the passionate and high strung fellow he is.... well words were typed that should not have been. The fallout left us without Ben, one of the more prolific contributors and better minds in tuning theory. Without the Manifesto, replaced with a gutted and sanitized FAQ. And I for one (not speaking for anyone else) will no longer spend large amounts of time writing original; material.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Well that's a shame. The Forum does have its rules though, and having links to non-supporting vendors in the FAQ sticky would be an issue for supporting vendors in providing their support. Ben did put way too much work into it and quite justifiably must have felt a proprietary interest in it. However, this is a public forum and anything we post must be considered to be in the public domain and subject to the Forum's terms and conditions--any other understanding would be absurd.

My Cars
    97 2.8 Z3; 01 2.5i Z3
    I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, but you might try this thread instead (or in addition to): http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...w-tos-and-DIY)
    I do think it is a better resource than this one, otherwise I wouldn't have gone through the trouble of making it.

I too, get the message that I do not have permission to view/access that. I'd LOVE to be able to use the resource you worked hard to make but I can't. Is there any way you could let me know why it won't let me access it? And thank you for taking the time to make it and "share" with us. I hope to be able to use it soon!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    There is a difference between denying a post due to rules, and taking said post and modifying it against the original posters wishes. To delete it is one thing. To commandeer the post is bordering on theft.

/.randy

My Cars
    z3
    What happened with Ben is a shame and I wished I was brought on board earlier to mitigate the damage. I will not divulge details because I don't want to make anyone look good or bad and honestly its a moot point now, but I will say there is a bit more to it than what is let on here. It happened, I wish Ben was still a part of this forum as I really enjoyed talking to him and his absence has definitely left a certain intellectual void in our community. We have a lot of smart people here but he had a lot of knowledge about interesting topics that many of us didn't know a lot about. It is sad to see him go and I still notice his absence to this day. But I also don't see him post a *ton* on facebook, maybe he has moved on to greener pastures. Or maybe the whole thing diminished his love for the Z3... hopefully that's not the case though

I would, and should update the FAQ to look like something a bit more presentable. I was making decent strides, even going so far as to try to indicate which threads had up to date pictures, which had videos, etc... but then Photobucket bombed. So now unfortunately most of the threads linked to are ghost towns, DIY's referencing pictures that aren't there

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

I get a message that I do not have permissions to access that link. ???? Am I not worthy?

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    What happened with Ben is a shame and I wished I was brought on board earlier to mitigate the damage. I will not divulge details because I don't want to make anyone look good or bad and honestly its a moot point now, but I will say there is a bit more to it than what is let on here. It happened, I wish Ben was still a part of this forum as I really enjoyed talking to him and his absence has definitely left a certain intellectual void in our community. We have a lot of smart people here but he had a lot of knowledge about interesting topics that many of us didn't know a lot about. It is sad to see him go and I still notice his absence to this day. But I also don't see him post a *ton* on facebook, maybe he has moved on to greener pastures. Or maybe the whole thing diminished his love for the Z3... hopefully that's not the case though

I would, and should update the FAQ to look like something a bit more presentable. I was making decent strides, even going so far as to try to indicate which threads had up to date pictures, which had videos, etc... but then Photobucket bombed. So now unfortunately most of the threads linked to are ghost towns, DIY's referencing pictures that aren't there
    There are photobucket browser fixes available, fyi.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011