Thread: Auto dimming mirror

My Cars
    2001 M5 2001 MZ3 2010 M5

Auto dimming mirror

Anyone ever replace just the glass of the rearview mirror? Part of the mirror is burnt out and it's really annoying. A new OEM mirror is ~350-400 and I was wondering if anyone was able to source just the glass.

I like the auto dimming feature and don't want to just disconnect it.
    2010 E60 M5
    2001 M Roadster
    2001 E39 M5

My Cars
    suck. Miss my boat: 26' MotionCat
    Mine did the same thing. I found a Nissan aftermarket, with compass and outside temp, on ebay. Also check z3mirrors.com for the correct adapter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John
    2001 ///M Roadster F: CG/Koni short coil-over struts/Eibach, Wilwood front brakes, CG tubular swaybar. R: TC Kline springs, short Bilsteins, shortened swaybar, IE sub & swingarm bushings & shock mounts, 3.23 gear, Rogue dual-ear cover, Eisenmann 4x83 pipes. Misc: Sport mode, Rogue pulleys, keyless, RG Motorsport intake, OZ Superleggera 18" 3 piece. SOLD, Coming Next: building a 34 Ford Hot Rod.
    2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe
    2006 Hemi Durango
    2005 Scion xB
    2007 Scion tC
    2007 Yamaha FZ1, Mr. 10.5
    1989 Reynard F2000

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris
    Anyone ever replace just the glass of the rearview mirror? Part of the mirror is burnt out and it's really annoying. A new OEM mirror is ~350-400 and I was wondering if anyone was able to source just the glass.

I like the auto dimming feature and don't want to just disconnect it.
    I came across an article by Shawn Fogg at MZ3.net regarding Rear View Mirror Upgrades and there is a link to Gary's Mirror AdapterZ website (z3mirrors.com). You can replace the Z's rear view mirror with a GM Electrochromatic Mirror for $120 (including the mirror adapter). It's cheaper and it solves the problem of the low rear view mirror that creates a forward blind spot (you should know what I'm talking about). Something worth to check on. I will be getting this upgrade myself as I find the OE rear view mirror to be very low creating a blind spot of which I have to peek under.