Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2007 335i or 2006 M3

My Cars
    Infinity G35

2007 335i or 2006 M3

Hey guys

I am new to the BMW world. I currently have a 2003 Infinity G35 and now i think its time to step into a new ride.

My question is which is the better ride to get. At this point in time in the year, i really want an 2007 car. U have been asking around but know seems to know if BMW is bring out an 2007 M3. I understand that the 2008 M3 will be redesigned but I cant wait that long plus i think it wil be out of my price range.

So what would be the best choice. My main thing is is want the car to have over 300hp and manual transmisson. Not too sure if i am liking the rear end of the 335i though.

Any thoughts would help

My Cars
    95 M3 Avus Blue
    how much do you have to spend?

1995 M3 Avus Blue on Dove

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    '06 M3
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    97 e36, 86 e30, 88 924S
    You should drive both. I haven't even driven in a new 3 series, so I don't know how they handle. I don't like the rear of the 335 that much either. I think the e46 M3 is a great looking car. A lot of people have them though. The new 335 will be turbocharged. I wonder how hard it would be to swap out the turbos for bigger ones or increase the boost.

My Cars
    1992 E36 320i
    I think I'd take the 07 335i. It's beautiful, I love the M3, but a new car always has that 'new car' appeal. Assuming they're both in the same price range of course.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    daily driver over 30 miles a day: 335i
    less: M3.

Just my opinion. Both are going to be great, but the 335 is more practical, the M3 is more raw.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    E31 EIGHT, E39 FIVE
    335i. 4 doors and I love the new bodystyle...And goodies like hill brake assist and an electronic water pump.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0
    your referring to the 335i coupe, right? I say go with that. Although the current M3 is an amazing car, it was released 5 years ago, so although it would be new to you, its a design you've been accustomed to, not to mention 5yo technology, whereas the 335i is the latest and the greatest.
    And I don't know about you, but I didn't really care for the E90 when i first saw pics of it, but the more i see it in person, the more I love it. I think the same will be true with the E92. I can't wait to see them at dealers and on the roads.
    All in all, it comes down to personal preference. Which one do you think will put a bigger smile on your face for the duration of your ownership? Definately Testdrive both before you make you decision
    '87 325is - black (sold)
    '01 Z3 Coupe 3.0 - topaz blue

My Cars
    325izzle
    Quote Originally Posted by AarheadC
    your referring to the 335i coupe, right? I say go with that. Although the current M3 is an amazing car, it was released 5 years ago, so although it would be new to you, its a design you've been accustomed to, not to mention 5yo technology, whereas the 335i is the latest and the greatest.
    And I don't know about you, but I didn't really care for the E90 when i first saw pics of it, but the more i see it in person, the more I love it. I think the same will be true with the E92. I can't wait to see them at dealers and on the roads.
    All in all, it comes down to personal preference. Which one do you think will put a bigger smile on your face for the duration of your ownership? Definately Testdrive both before you make you decision
    Thing is that the Straight six has won awards year after year, and just got put into the new MZ4..

So really you cant go wrong with M3. I'd go with M3, except a CS if you can get those over there...

My Cars
    88 300ZX, 94 Altima
    I'd go with the E46 M3, I've always wanted one and for a reason. The engine is great, just because the technology is a little old (barely), doesn't mean the thing doesn't do what it's built to- haul ass in style and luxury.

http://www.last.fm/user/AzzMan/ | Talk to me about music
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonpturner
    I challenge you right now to out dress me.

My Cars
    Infinity G35
    Thanks for the replies

Yes i forgot to mention that I want a coupe. Its going be a hard decision but i guess the wise decision is to go with the new design 335i. I really dont want to exceed $50k. I have to import the car to the Cayman Islands and import duty is going to kill me.

My Cars
    E-ballin
    It’s funny how everyone is giving their own personalized opinions about the 335 when it hasn't even come out yet...

I think the 335 aftermarket will definetly sweep the E46's M off it's feet, so if you plan to mod you'll be out of luck on the E46. Mods are expensive and yield a minimial gain. On the 335, *crosses fingers* the aftermarket should be very intense. Turbos are easier to mod and a small chunk of change should give you high numbers. However, I imagine you would have to spend a significant amount of money to make the 335's suspension on par with the M's.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by addnon; 07-20-2006 at 12:16 PM.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by addnon
    It’s funny how everyone is giving their own personalized opinions about the 335 when it hasn't even come out yet...

I think the 335 aftermarket will definetly sweep the E46's M off it's feet, so if you plan to mod you'll be out of luck on the E46. Mods are expensive and yield a minimial gain. On the 335, *crosses fingers* the aftermarket should be very intense. Turbos are easier to mod and a small chunk of change should give you high numbers. However, I imagine you would have to spend a significant amount of money to make the 335's suspension on par with the M's.

Just a thought.
    True, but it's not like the car is getting put in a new spot in the line up. It is simply the newest next best thing to the M, even if it is turboed. And the E90 is so great, I doubt the 335 is going to be some dud. I bet it's going to make you rethink every 3 series you ever drove and though was amazing.

My Cars
    E-ballin
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBeam
    True, but it's not like the car is getting put in a new spot in the line up. It is simply the newest next best thing to the M, even if it is turboed. And the E90 is so great, I doubt the 335 is going to be some dud. I bet it's going to make you rethink every 3 series you ever drove and though was amazing.
    Agreed, but I still think the OP should wait until the 335 comes out and actually drive it and get a feel for it before he decides on something.

My Cars
    04 GT3/04 F350/87 911
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Darkstar
    I really dont want to exceed $50k. I have to import the car to the Cayman Islands and import duty is going to kill me.
    That's going to be hard to do on an '06 M3.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by addnon
    Agreed, but I still think the OP should wait until the 335 comes out and actually drive it and get a feel for it before he decides on something.
    I completely agree with you there, but based on his location, that may not be an option.

My Cars
    Infinity G35
    I will be in Florida around the end of September to sit my CPA exam. So i guess I will get a chance to test drive the 335i then. (well if its out by then that is)

I know i havent searched yet, but just another quick question. I will want to lower the car a bit and put at least 19 rims on it. I have tein flex coilovers on my G35 now and I am quite satified. Are a lot of people on the site happy with tein or is there a more better/popular favourite coilover for BMW?
    Last edited by 1Darkstar; 07-20-2006 at 01:25 PM.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    There are a number of coilovers out there: ground control, H&R, VK (do I even have that right), etc. I don't have any myself, but my boyfriend spent a long time researching before he decided on ground control for his M3. 19s would fit, I would not go above 19s on the M3, and perhaps not past 18s on the 335. This is just my opinion, I like the handling ability of the car, and big heavy wheels hurt that, along with straight line speed, braking, fuel economy and cost a lot more in tires and what not. I think that 20s don't belong on many BMWs, X5s, 7 series, and 6 series, okay, they can pull it off. But not 3 series. Some people do it, but it isn't my cup of tea, it's a little too show car for my tastes.

But it is your car, so in the end, do what you want. I just wanted to share my feelings on it. There are some really nice wheels out there, I'd stick with the forged wheels and I woudl highly recommend either bbs or fiske. HREs are nice as well, as are forgelines, but I am a really big fan of fiske wheels. They are very strong, light, and they are also more rare. You don't see a ton of cars driving around with them, a big plus if you want to look truely unique.

My Cars
    135i
    I'd definitely go with the 335i. You won't be let down. Twin turbos, 300 HP from the factory. What more could you possibly want?
    E82 135i: Alpine white on black leather; ZSP; ZCW; iPod/USB
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

My Cars
    2005 320i
    335i, much more potential

My Cars
    Ahhhh
    You gotta go with the M3, or at least I would.

My Cars
    N/A
    I vote 335i

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    335i = BMW Supra? :

My Cars
    S-197 GT 5 Spd
    One word: Turbo

It's a beautiful car and it's probably gonna go like no other car before it.

The aftermarket will be all over this.

My Cars
    '72 Triumph TR6
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Darkstar
    Thanks for the replies

Yes i forgot to mention that I want a coupe. Its going be a hard decision but i guess the wise decision is to go with the new design 335i. I really dont want to exceed $50k. I have to import the car to the Cayman Islands and import duty is going to kill me.
    Cayman huh? I was in Grand Cayman on vacation last year. Great place, but quite small! Seriously though, I'm convinced that is one of the most beautiful places on the earth.

MODS:
    Rebuilt Stock 2.5L I6
    Bored .030 over
    Moss Pistons
    Twin Weber DGV Carbs
    Pacesetter Header
    Quad-Tip Pacesetter Monza Exhaust
    Borg & Beck Clutch Kit

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast