Thread: Was anyone around when the e36 was introduced?

My Cars
    A dirty one.

Was anyone around when the e36 was introduced?

It seems that with every new BMW style that is released, there is quite a bit of controversy (e46, new 7, etc.). What I want to know is was there the same controversy over the e36 when it was released, or was it just accepted as the work of art we all know it is?

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    No controversy that I can remember.

v.b. is offline GoD, pls stop this bitch!
    My Cars
    2001 Yamaha R6. 104rwhp@14500rpm!
    I just fell in love in first sight....
    except I thought the triangular center air vent was kinda weird..
    coz I only saw retangular one back in early 90s...lol

(Weekend ride) BMW E36 325i (Soon to be sold)
    (Midnight ride) Yamaha R6 (Stolen and killed some people)
    (Daily beater) Nissan NX1600 (POS, It's gone)

(Hong Kong family ride) BMW E65 735iL | Toyota Alphard 3.0L | Mercedes C230K | 92' Mazda 323 1.3L
    (Hong Kong personal ride) 03' Opel Speedster 2.0T | 06' Yamaha R6 50th Anni | 65' Shelby Cobra (RHD, building in progress)

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    According to most I talk to, there was as much, if not more, controversy than when current models have been introduced (I was only 12 at the time :P). Most purists still don't consider the E36 M3 a "real M", much less the E46...and to a degree, they have very, very valid a point.

Most people thought the E36 was a saleout in terms of too much comfort tradeoffs and in design/beauty. But, as we all know, its generally accepted as "classic" BMW styling these days.

The controvery that surrounds current new models will pass as well.

My Cars
    A dirty one.
    That's what I thought. Thanks.

My Cars
    '01 M Roadster
    How could there be controversy with such a timeless design? I would still consider buying that design in 5 years, that's how much I like it.

My Cars
    Lots
    The tennis shoe (Coupe) was never a mainstream design and the current 7 will go down as one of the stinkers of all time. It's a non-descript slab sided POS from the side, mildly interesting from the back and a double bagger from the front.

I'd be shorting BMW stock and buynig D-C

The E36, on the other hand, was completely revolutionary and beautiful. It was nice having both gorgeous 3 series designs on the road at the same time. Now with the E46 it is the same.

Interestingly, I have found that BMW ALWAYS completely screws up the design under the front bumper and takes 1-2 years to get it right.

With the new 7, they will have to have it's eyes gouged out as well to fix it. from the side, it's just plain forgetable.

If you can afford a 745, buy an S class and get something you don't have to hide and pretend it's not yours.

My Cars
    Pieces of 128
    Every 'new' design will spawn negative commentary... I don't recall the e36 styling being such a negative as the softness, like Brian mentioned.

But check this story out -- from the 11/87 Roundel -- this fellow hacks on the new at the time e30 M3 for being too soft and tractable -- heck it even started easily and you didn't have to keep an eye on the exhaust temperature or risk the turbo melting. Stuff you couldn't say about the 2002 Turbo, the previous hottest thing BMW made.

http://www.washdcmail.com/02_page/twincam.html
    Last edited by Kos-motate139; 11-18-2002 at 04:06 PM.

Andy Chittum -- Lemans Karting | BTM Motorwerks NASA Spec e30 | US Touring Car | Racecarnology Blog

My Cars
    1988 M3
    Originally posted by Kos-motate139
    Every 'new' design will spawn negative commentary... I don't recall the e36 styling being such a negative as the softness, like Brian mentioned.

But check this story out -- from the 11/87 Roundel -- this fellow hacks on the new at the time e30 M3 for being too soft and tractable -- heck it even started easily and you didn't have to keep an eye on the exhaust temperature or risk the turbo melting. Stuff you couldn't say about the 2002 Turbo, the previous hottest thing BMW made.

http://www.washdcmail.com/02_page/twincam.html
    Thanks for that link, that article was great. It is neat seeing how times change.

What that guy said in the article is exactly what everyone is saying about the newer cars.
    Bryan K.
    1988 ///M3
    1997 E36 ///M3 Project
    Texas A&M Formula SAE

My Cars
    '01 M Roadster
    How is it that they always get the three series right? Why don't they use that magic on the others?

My Cars
    E39.540.6
    When the E30's came out... I fell in love. Especially around '87-'88 with the 'is' and of course, the ///M. I was still driving an E21 when the E36 came out. I think I was mostly scared at it's 'ahead-of-it's-time' look. I was still infatuated with the E30... Now an E36!!!! I felt as though I was cheating.

The new 7er... just plain fugly. Technology can NEVER replace a good design sense.

A message to BMW... Timeless, people. A timeless design is what we want. Not a boiling over of hodge-podge in a melting pot from some clip-art gallery.
    "It's thirty minutes away?... I'll be there in ten." ...9m36sec later... -Winston Wolfe-

My Cars
    M3 LTW
    Incidentally, the E36 interior materials quality was a step down from the E30 in some parts of the interior (some dash panels, glove box door, door seals, window seals, etc.), and this was not well-recieved when the E36 was introduced. But I don't think you'd call that a controversy.

The biggest "controversy" that occurred when the '92 E36 325is was introduced was simply the Lexus SC300/400. Those two were freaking Market Killers at the time BMW was trying to move up-town with the 3 Series. Luckily, the 325is handled better and had more headroom than the Lexus, cost a bit less, and was really a tiny bit faster than the SC300 5spd. When the M3 showed up in magazines during the 3rd quarter of '94, the E36 began to really gain its own identity as a premium, high-value, world-class product. The E36 convertible was also ahead of its time... technologically & stylistically barring all others except the Mercedes SL.
    -Matt