RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 89(e34) message display/odometer not working

My Cars
    1989 BMW 525I (e34)

Question 89(e34) message display/odometer not working

The message display went blank and also my odometer is blank. It drives me crazy when the car beeps with attn/warnings and I don't know whats going on with my car. Is there a way to fix the display, or what parts do I need? All my gauges seem to work fine, and also my trip computer display doesn't light up anymore, but you can read it with a flashlight, and all functions work. Any ideas that help me out. Other than that the car runs great 525I with 252,000 miles on it.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 328i Coupe
    What's happening to you has happened to everyone who's owned an e34. The logic board behind instrument cluster is whackiest component in this car. Mine has failed several times, and it has cost me a lot of money over the years. How long have the lights been out? They may come back on, but I suspect that it's only going to completely fail. I've had this part replaced, but if you search around you'll find the post about replacing the capacitors on the board itself.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 525I (e34)
    I got it to work by pressing both push pins on the instument panel, then it lit up in orange, but still no message or odometer. Then I looked at the display at a down angle and I could read everything "brake linning warning" and odometer. I tapped the dash board and it went out again. Maybe a loose connection, i'm pretty good in electronics repair, I would be gratefull to find the thread on how to fix it myself. My manual says there are two batteries that can fail, is this the capacitors that you mentioned? Thanks for the reply.

My Cars
    '95 540iA

Smile hope ur still reading

Wow this is an old post.

Anyways if the backlight was not coming on except when you pushed it in a certain way that would be a lose connection.
    And when the backlight came on but the messages were extremely dim and could only be seen from side, top, etc then that would indicate the capacitor. you might see that the messages will be easier to view in 90-100 degree temps because the capacitors work better in hotter temps.

If the screen looks like this:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1507087

Then read this

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...php?p=20531408
    be sure to click the links on this one.