Thread: cranks but won't start after new battery install.

My Cars
    97 328ic

cranks but won't start after new battery install.

went to start my 92 325is yesterday, and everything was completely dead, no lights on the dash, no click of the starter... nothing. So I put in a new battery this evening, and now the car just cranks away but won't start. Any Ideas?

I was wondering if it may be a fuel problem as I don't seem to hear the fuel pump when the ignition is in run. Is there some sort of safety thing I should look for? The car was running perfect until the battery died.

Thanks,
    -J

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i

Starting

Did you used to hear your fuel pump before this happened? If so I would check the fuel pump relay and be sure it is tight, wiggle it around and try again.
    Be sure your battery is fully charged too as that will screw up starting. I would guess it would be if it is new and fully charged...

My Cars
    97 328ic
    I can smell fuel from the exhaust pipe, and I'm pretty sure the fuel pump relay is clicking along with the DME relay beside it. I tried pulling a coil and a plug and looking for spark, but saw nothing when the engine was cranked. It was light outside, though I think i'd be able to see the plug sparking.

-J

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    make sure the cables are on tight and free from oxidation....bmws don't like bad grounds...
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    97 328ic
    well, I decided after reading the bentley, that the only thing that could have happened was the DME shorted and drained the old battery. So I pulled the cover, and there the DME was... sitting in a puddle of water steaming. It was warm to teh touch, so I guess it was shorting the new battery too.

Pulled the DME apart and found it to be gunked up with water and rusty crud. Solder joints are in bad shape. I believe I've found the problem.

My plan is to scrub the boards down with alcohol or contact cleaner and a toothbrush, then re-touch all the solder connections on the board.

We'll see...

-J

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    water draining into the DME compartment is a pretty common problem with the early e36s. i believe there is a diy guide at www.bimmerdiy.com to correct this and prevent further water from getting in there.

good luck