Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Wurth vs. VHT wheel paint

My Cars
    None for now

Wurth vs. VHT wheel paint

I am going to paint my OEM ltw wheels soon and was wondering which paint should I use? I have heard many people using Wurth wheel paint and some say that it doesnt match well. Have anyone used VHT's wheel paint? Any other brand you would recommend?

My Cars
    99 M3, 09 R6
    wurth is shit, i recently painted my wheels and recieved 3 or 4 defective cans. get Einszett Sibler Spray from pelican parts, the match is pretty good, no complaints here.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...mber=IZ-970330

Custom Build Threads: Exhaust, Short Shifter Kit

My Cars
    Various junk
    Wurth matches the shade correctly, but the size of the metallic flakes is larger. However, if you're doing all four wheels, you're pretty much free to use whatever paint you want!

The Wurth clear is hard to get to lay flat. I've sprayed it in almost every temperature and thickness possible, and it always orange peels. I got it to lay flat on one wheel, and the other wheel I ran out of clear!

I tried to finish up with a different brand of clear, Duplicolor, but there was some kind of reaction between the paints that left a yellowed finish.

My Cars
    None for now
    How is Dupli Color?

My Cars
    99 M3, 09 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by FredK
    Wurth matches the shade correctly, but the size of the metallic flakes is larger. However, if you're doing all four wheels, you're pretty much free to use whatever paint you want!

The Wurth clear is hard to get to lay flat. I've sprayed it in almost every temperature and thickness possible, and it always orange peels. I got it to lay flat on one wheel, and the other wheel I ran out of clear!

I tried to finish up with a different brand of clear, Duplicolor, but there was some kind of reaction between the paints that left a yellowed finish.
    did u get a reaction b/w the two clears, or wurth silver and dupli clear?

i used einszett and then used a rustoleum crystal clear Enamel, and it was perfectly fine, just takes literally 10 coats of clear to cover the flake and give that oem shine

My Cars
    99 M3, 09 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by vwrado
    How is Dupli Color?
    Dupli color in general is a good spray can paint, can't go wrong

My Cars
    SpecE30, '01 330ci, '07 Tundra double cab, '99 e46
    I used the kit from Griots Garage on my oem bottle caps. My guess is that Wurth packages it for Griots. The metallic flakes don't match oem and the clear coat still looks dry after 3 coats. Overall I'm not very impressed. My suggestion is to use enough (3 or more metallic coats and 5 coats of clear) to have decent end results. Also, make sure you apply enough paint on each coat and don't leave a dry look.

My Cars
    1997 328is

Einszett can have a bad reaction with some clear coats

I used einszett, and was pleased with the color. However, when I put on the clear I had a very bad reaction. The paint and the clear where incompatible. I ended up with a horrible splotchy mess.

Does anyone know of a sure fire clear to use? I don't think einszett has one.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I've painted many wheels with Wurth silver/clear.

I have never had any of the issues spoken of in these threads.

I suspect improper prep work is the cause of the "orange peeling"

As for defective cans... 99.999% of the time it is a defective user.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    330i E90
    Reviving an old thread here, but I'm about to try to fix my road rash on two 162 rims.

It turns out that the Wurth paint cans were defective -- in October 2006, Wurth recalled their silver spray paint because the cans were all clogging. It still is not on the shelves, and is not expected to be until at least July(!).

So if not Wurth, then what? I understand the Dupli-Color silver wheel paint is about a 95% match, and I'm about to give that a go unless anyone has any better advice.

What about Einszett (1Z)? I've read it's noticeably darker than the OEM color -- anyone have experience otherwise? Are there any other manufacturers to consider?

My Cars
    1992 e36 325is
    duplic color is decent match

My Cars
    E28s
    Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

I've used Wurth on a set of 16" BBS RSs and recently on a set of 3-piece AC Schnitzers and I'll never use it again. The etching primer lays down perfectly flat and smooth and the color lays down nicely, but the clear develops orange peel. You can put it down light or heavy but as it cures it develops orange peel. I stripped and shot two wheels again last weekend just to try (since now I have $60 worth of paint that is just going to sit otherwise) and even laying the clear down really wet so that its perfectly smooth, it still goes orange peely within about 12 hours as it shrinks up during it's curing process.
    '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

My Cars
    ///M s52
    Anymore Wurth experience? I am fixing bbs rx

My Cars
    01 325i, 05 330ci, 07 X3
    Wurth is horrible paint. Horrible in the worst possible way. If you think $25 per can is high, wait until you get the bill for stripping them down and painting them right.

My Cars
    1986 BMw 635 CSi
    I recently found Dupli Colour “Quicksilver” and also “Magnetic Silver” to be a really close match - that is matching the centre caps on my E39 and also my BBS RC090 style 5’s. Dupli Color clear coat also went on nicely with just two coats.